Flight Commander problem

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
I have just downloaded the flightcommander version and I have a problem...the ship keeps spinning and spinning...it just won't stop even if I try to take another direction.
Everything else is running fine.
Oh will their be a 1280*1024 resolution too?

I think its the pageup/down button who causes the problem.

If you're using a joystick w/ rudder (especially Saitek), you might try centering its rudder control. Also, unplugging any other game controllers/input devices (gamepads, hyperpens, whatsoever) could help.
Other than that... Well, maybe next time try not to spill coffee over your page up/down button. :D

I also just downloaded the game, and everytime I click on the door to "Fly Mission" the game freaks out and shuts down, with an error window. What's up?

i also have a problem or two:

first off, it is very choppy(but thats probably due to the crappyness of my computer)

secondly, the game has a distinct blue tint (not really a problem but it is odd)

otherwise it looks good, cant wait to play it to its full potential

-brad

enemy keeps trying to form on my wing, and doesn't take distance from me, nor does it attack me...

landing is a matter of flying your bird in manually?

General Flight Commander comments

Firstly, if anybody is having problems landing, all you need to do is collide with the carrier. This is mentioned in the instruction manual.

Also, if you are having problems, I'd very much appreciate any error messages that appear. I may also need to know your hardware configuration.

On resolution: Go to the settings menu, and you can pick any resolution supported on your computer that has an aspect ratio of 4:3. I'll see about getting other aspect ratios into the next version.

As far as joysticks, go please let me know what joysticks you have plugged in. Also, look at the settings menu, it will tell you what joystick was detected, and see if it matches your expectation. Also, give me any text messages printed out in the text console. Try it both without any joysticks, and then with only a single joystick plugged in.

gevatter Lars said:
I have just downloaded the flightcommander version and I have a problem...the ship keeps spinning and spinning...it just won't stop even if I try to take another direction.

I'd need to see what error message was printed out. Also, info on your system would help.

RiotAct218 said:
I also just downloaded the game, and everytime I click on the door to "Fly Mission" the game freaks out and shuts down, with an error window. What's up?

I've seen the blue tint problem before. It's definitely a bug in your video driver, so I'd recommend updating your drivers if you can. You may be able to work around it by changing screen resolutions in the settings menu of flight commander. Alternatively, try changing the color depth in the windows control panel. If none of this helps, at least let me know your graphics card, OS version, and driver version.

As far as choppines, go to the flight commander settings menu, reduce the screen resolution, and turn off as many features as you can. This should help.

poopnoodle said:
i also have a problem or two:

first off, it is very choppy(but thats probably due to the crappyness of my computer)

secondly, the game has a distinct blue tint (not really a problem but it is odd)

otherwise it looks good, cant wait to play it to its full potential

-brad

Yeah, the AI is not terribly intelligent. That'll be worked in the next version.

Mace said:
enemy keeps trying to form on my wing, and doesn't take distance from me, nor does it attack me...

landing is a matter of flying your bird in manually?

The "text to speech not available" is perfectly normal, it just means you won't have briefing text read to you by a speech synth. If you can, please send me the text that appears after that. Try it without the joystick plugged in, although I doubt that's the problem. How much video ram? What version of directx? how fast is the processor?

You said:
hey so I downloaded it and tried running it but it doesnt work on my comp! it says something about text to speech not available then a bunch of text appears in the window but it closes a nanosecond later. is there a possible fix for this? Im runnin win98SE Pentiuml Processor 128 mb RAM Creative Sound Blaster 16 and Top Gun Thrustmaster Joystick (my pride and joy lol). thx for any help
Iceman16 said:
I have a several problems but this is the one about Flight Commander http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=240894&postcount=20

the error message pops up for like half a sec so itll be difficult to see what it says. I tried it with thte joystick unplugged and plugged in but the result is the same either way. how do I find the video RAM and how fast the processor is? Im not really too good with the hardware stuff. I think I have the directx that comes with prophecy (7 I think) but I might 9 not too sure on that.

Open up a command prompt (either command or cmd) and run the game from the command prompt. That should get it so you can at least see the error messages.

Iceman16 said:
the error message pops up for like half a sec so itll be difficult to see what it says. I tried it with thte joystick unplugged and plugged in but the result is the same either way. how do I find the video RAM and how fast the processor is? Im not really too good with the hardware stuff. I think I have the directx that comes with prophecy (7 I think) but I might 9 not too sure on that.

ok so heres that error message
hr=-2147221164 -2147221164
Text to speech not available
GLUT: Fatal Error in C:\PROGRA~2\FLIGHT~1.EXE: failed to create OpenGL
rendering context

and I checked and I have directx 8.1

OK, that narrows it down. It's not even really getting to Flight Commander at all, as OpenGL itself is not starting up properly. All I can suggest is installing new video card drivers. Sadly, other than that there's not much I can do in this case.

Iceman16 said:
ok so heres that error message
hr=-2147221164 -2147221164
Text to speech not available
GLUT: Fatal Error in C:\PROGRA~2\FLIGHT~1.EXE: failed to create OpenGL
rendering context

Update: Thanks, this is an excellent bug report. I've believe I've found the bug with the spinning, and will update a new version of Flight Commander this weekend. Thanks again!!

gevatter Lars said:

Back