Flight Commander + Linux

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Hi all,

After a few days of playing with Linux, I've got a first cut at Flight Commander running on Linux. And here's a screenshot.

fclinux.png

Good job...although I don't use or like Linux I know there are several that do. :) Speaking of Flight Commander...just how easy is it for a non-programmer to modify? Give me a quick rundown if you would...Thanks!

Looking forward to trying it out :)

You're trying it out on Knoppix? Have you installed it to the hard drive or are you doing all your linux dev off of a liveCD? :eek:

Thanks for your efforts porting, I really appreciate it.

Well done. *applauds* Question: how's it handle on software-rendered mode? I have an ATI card and Ubuntu, but an excessively overpowered machine. :p

Awesome! What are you using to replace the speech synth? (Or is that just turned off?) And when can we expect an even more awesome (and useful!) Mac port? ;)

Scratch that. When do we get to play? :D

Maj.Striker said:
Good job...although I don't use or like Linux I know there are several that do. :) Speaking of Flight Commander...just how easy is it for a non-programmer to modify? Give me a quick rundown if you would...Thanks!
Very easy, there's a gui mission editor, with no programming required. All image files can be pngs, bmps, or jpegs, sounds are .wavs and mp3s, movies are .avis. You can edit ship stats with a text editor. The point is it's very easy to mod.

Aron Figaro said:
Well done. *applauds* Question: how's it handle on software-rendered mode? I have an ATI card and Ubuntu, but an excessively overpowered machine. :p

It's sluggish without a real driver. I'm not sure if I want to try installing the nvidia driver on knoppix yet, it doesn't look very user friendly, unless you guys have an easy .deb I could find.

AKAImBatman said:
Awesome! What are you using to replace the speech synth? (Or is that just turned off?) And when can we expect an even more awesome (and useful!) Mac port? ;)

Scratch that. When do we get to play? :D
Don't have access to a mac, volunteers welcome, though. Besides my little fun diversion on linux, I'd like to get turret ai reasonable, then its 1.1 release time.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Looking forward to trying it out :)

You're trying it out on Knoppix? Have you installed it to the hard drive or are you doing all your linux dev off of a liveCD? :eek:

Thanks for your efforts porting, I really appreciate it.

Everything off the livecd, no changes to my hard disk at all. I'm still quite the linux newbie (all of 3 days now).

Back