Flare and D3D files for Prophecy Gold

Raid

Spaceman
I,ve installed the file for lens flare for D3D users....I have a viper 550.....There is lines running through each flare and one across the top and one side; on all flares...Is this normal; cause it doesn't look right to me...also, what does the D3D full and medium files do...I was going to install; but, they modify the directory and I didn't want to do that till I found out what exactly they do.....Any help would be appreciated very much!... Raid

Don't use the reg keys.

As for the flare stuff, it sounds to me like you're using a Glide wrapper to get the effects. If such is the case, then yes, those lines are normal; no Glide wrapper is perfect, and most are constantly being worked on. You could try figuring out where the wrapper came from and see if there's a newer version out.

thanks for the help Stinger.....I'm using regular old D3D......No Glide wrapper...The box in options for Flare and Fog where x'd out......so I downloaded the Lens Flare file and I now have Flare but the lines I mentioned too.I have DX7 and the latest drivers for my viper 550.........thanks again........Raid

He uses more ....s than I do
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes....I...must...break....my..horrible....dependancy......Help me...please!....is any- one.......there?.........

Hmm... to be honest, this is the first I've heard of any D3D lens flare patch. My guess is that it wasn't made by Origin (please, guys, correct me if I'm wrong here). If such is the case, then you really can't expect it to be perfect (well, you can't expect products from Origin to be perfect, either, but you can at least expect higher quality...).

As far as ... go, well, I used to use them, too... but you never see me do it now....

I think (though I'm not sure) someone created it by using files from SO to add the Lens Flare capability to Prophecy.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Hmm... SO supports D3D lens flare?
Man, I'm forgetting way too much. I need to go back to those games; too bad I have no idea where my Prophecy is. I made the mistake of letting one of my friends borrow it so he could showcase the capabilities of a computer he was building for a client and haven't seen it since.

Stinger: Actually, the so-called patch is really just the set of drivers or whatever that were used in SO. They were slightly more advanced (giving you the lens flare in D3D), and were perfectly compatible with Prophecy.

I too, had those lines when I played WCP using a graphics card with the Rendition 2000 chip (note that WCP supports D3D in the Rendition 2200 chip, thus it shouldna have worked
wink.gif
). It was fine on my Permedia II though. So maybe check on the back of the box if your Viper is indeed fully supported, or is it a different version of it?

The Diamond Viper V550 16MB nVidia TnT card isn't mentioned on the box. It came out after the game. The cards listed on the box are all older stuff. I guess I should be happy it plays so very well on my P2-400. Still, It's a shame I can't have Fog. And the lines are not too bad, you get used to them after awhile
wink.gif
. Thanks every-one for your help!

[This message has been edited by Raid (edited February 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Raid (edited February 07, 2000).]

You will only get fog in WCP if the card uses 3Dfx. The game does not have fog implemented for the other drivers; and in the end, it all really comes down to what the game supports, non?
wink.gif

You will? Woohoo! Well actually the fogging doesn't seem to help much since the capships still pop out of nowhere. *shudder*

My Capships have never popped out of nowhere (They start REALLY small and get bigger when they're closer, so technically they do 'appear' to come from no-where on radar but that's because the whole range issue)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

I've never had any problems on any of the computers I've played Prophecy or SO on... (about 5 different computers in total...)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

TC said:
I think (though I'm not sure) someone created it by using files from SO to add the Lens Flare capability to Prophecy.

TC

Yep. Me. The patch is just the D3D DLL of SO.

Raid said:
I,ve installed the file for lens flare for D3D users....I have a viper 550.....There is lines running through each flare and one across the top and one side; on all flares...Is this normal; cause it doesn't look right to me...also, what does the D3D full and medium files do...I was going to install; but, they modify the directory and I didn't want to do that till I found out what exactly they do.....Any help would be appreciated very much!... Raid

Forget about the reg things. As far as graphic distortions go. AFAIK the riva chips do have an option to align textures. Someone mentioned that modifying this helped in a similar case.

Oh man! So *that's* why things looked different when I used the updated DLLs on Prophecy? *smack* I couldn't put my finger on what had changed.

Back