Fighters aboard Carriers

Chris Mungo

Spaceman
Hi Boys and Girls,

i have a question: i rember that the TCS Victory habe 4 squadrons of figthers ( 44 or 48 fighters ). The Tigers Claw have 104 fighters. Both ships have the same length. Why are they so different?
Another example: i rember, that the hakaga have about 250-300 fighters - a ship that ist 1,8km long.

I wait for your answers!

The Victory carries only 40 fighters.

Length has very little to do with actual size: a 3 kilometer piece of string would be longer than a Hakaga and would carry no fighters. :) 'Mass' is a better reading of the size of a ship. Consider that the shorter (690m) Bengal (80,000 tonnes) is over *twice* as massive as the longer (720m) Victory (28,000 tonnes).

The Hakaga carries 288 fighters -- it's 1,580 meters long and has a mass of 500,000 tonnes.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Consider that the shorter (690m) Bengal (80,000 tonnes) is over *twice* as massive as the longer (720m) Victory (28,000 tonnes).
To be picky, the Bengal is also "several tonnes less massive than the Tiger's Claw" - so I'm guessing about 78000 tonnes, using the fact that the Claw is ten metres longer than other Bengals.

Aww, c'mon LOAF. You don't mean to tell me that they chopped off 10m of flight deck and used it as extra armour, do you? Which would mean different armour stats, too. Not to mention that 3 is not really 'several' relative to 80000.

I guessed 78000 tonnes since 69/70 x 80000 = 78857
And since ships aren't 1D: 69^2/70^2 x 80000 = 77731
Or if you prefer, 3D: 69^3/70^3 x 80000 = 76620

We don't really know what they chopped ten meters off of, though <G> It might have been a ten meter long antenna! Although it's possible that 80,000 refers to Bengals and the higher number in the WCIV novel refers to the Tiger's Claw <G>

Why would the 'Claw have a mention in the WC4 novel? And what is the mass listed there?

And the 80000 tonnes listed in Claw Marks is listed under the heading of Tiger's Claw, although I suppose your explanation could make sense.

Blair mentions the time a pilot turned improperly upon taking off and was rammed by the 90,000 tonne Tiger's Claw.

Blair mentions the time a pilot turned improperly upon taking off and was rammed by the 90,000 tonne Tiger's Claw.

Loaded vs. unloaded, perhaps?

I don´t think Blair, many years later, would have in his memory the exact weight of the Claw. However, if he had a LOAF memory, he might as well have meant 90,000, LOADED.

Let´s settle it for 80,000 tonnes, unloaded, agreed?

Originally posted by Chris Mungo
Hi Boys and Girls,

i have a question: i rember that the TCS Victory habe 4 squadrons of figthers ( 44 or 48 fighters ). The Tigers Claw have 104 fighters. Both ships have the same length. Why are they so different?
Another example: i rember, that the hakaga have about 250-300 fighters - a ship that ist 1,8km long.

I wait for your answers!

Well that and the Victory had one hellva hole in the middle of it so it seems reasonable that it could only hold a small amount

The Victory has the flight deck running the entire length of the ship straight through the middle of it. This large hole in the center decreases hanger space for the fighters.:)

But it certianly helps if a fighter is coming in too fast but doesnt swerve away in time. Just flies on through. At least one benefit.

Originally posted by Supdon3
But it certianly helps if a fighter is coming in too fast but doesnt swerve away in time. Just flies on through. At least one benefit.

Except when they don't, and crash into a wall, the ground, the ceiling, another ship or any of those other fun things...

Originally posted by TC

Except when they don't, and crash into a wall, the ground, the ceiling, another ship or any of those other fun things...

Now, they shouldn't be there then. :)

Hmm, seems a good idea to give the TC a 90000 tonne mass, methinks.

Back