Female fans...

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
This may be a bit of a touché subject, but I've been always wondering. Throughout the history of Wing Commander, most of their games seems to be made for male players. Not that I object (since I am a male), and it does feature a better characterization than the one, say, like in Starlancer... but are there any female Wing Commander fans. The only games which are neutral to the gender are Wing Commander Academy and Wing Commander Armada, both which are quite... well... think for yourself.

So here's a simple question from me:

Are there any girls reading this?

-RVN

Some people say that I have a female side, but I don't think that counts...:)

Anyhow, there were a few feamle fans here, I think Cricket is still here, and there was Guner, but that was a long time ago, and she was banned or something.

From the Great Pits of #wingnut...

A response to this post:

<Meson> IF U ARE A FEMALE WC PLAYER PLZ MAIL ME A PICTURE OF URSELF NAKED!!!!

Girls and Wing Commander

Aside the fact that there are female characters (and some which are really good) in WC, how many female players are there?

I remember giving my joystick to my little sister to satisfy her playing with the computer. She did, though, like the object view featured in WC Armada and above.

-RVN

I remember asking myself the same question. I think it goes back to stereotype or something, females tend to talk about more, y'know, female stuff.

Of the people I know who are really into computers/games/programming/surfing/whatever, only one of them is female, and people say she's a bit of tomboy.

TC is talking about himself again.

I only want female anime fans. Every anime chick has my number and e-mail address laready. :D

A friend told me that the statistic is: Girls average 5000 words a day. Guys average 2000. So Girls do actually talk too much.

There are a lot of female members at the UNSW anime club over here. Most of them scare the hell out of me. Waaay too absorbed in anime. More so than the guys sometimes.

Suddenly occured to me that stereotype is a strange word. "Stereo" means "two", but the word refers to a 'template' that people are placed in by others ...

Steampunk:
"So Girls do actually talk too much."
Or maybe its boys don't talk enough - mentioned by various teachers/shrinks & even the media over the last couple of years.
"Waaay too absorbed in anime."
Some might say we're too obsessed with WC...
"Suddenly occured to me that stereotype is a strange word. "Stereo" means "two", but the word refers to a 'template' that people are placed in by others ..."
Maybe its a reference to a 2 dimensional idea or concept being far less detailed &/or accurate than a 3 dimensional idea/concept.

Penguin:
"Or maybe its boys don't talk enough - mentioned by various teachers/shrinks & even the media over the last couple of years."

BS... Men are more concise than women will ever be. That's the reason why they average fewer words. At least, in my case. Why does anyone need to speak 5000 words a day anyhow? 1 or 2 a week is fine by me. People everywhere talk too much. They need to shut up for a while and think instead of flapping their yaps.

But, that's just me. :)

WW: Maybe you talk too little.

I believe the common usage of sterotype comes from the original usage of the word. Its the metal original used to print on a printing press. Since everything it prints out an exact copy, its easy to see the relation to the common usage.

TC

I know a cople of people that are female and like WC.Two freinds of mine that are female like WC and my sister likes it too.But my sister esnt that good at it but thats another story! :)

[Edited by Hawk on 11-23-2000 at 22:01]

My reading on this has been that girls would rather talk on the phone/chat or read a horror book/watch a thriller, than spend hours vanquishing computer foes. Maybe there's something else going that I'm not aware of, but I think this is most of the reason.

I agree. Guys are a lot more concise. Well with each other anyway. I find that I don't have to say as much when talking to another guy to get an idea or point across regardless of what the topic of discussion is. With a girl ...

Death's Head: I don't think that's it. Call me a chauvanistic pig, but I swear girls don't even bother to try an apreciate things like sci-fi and computer games. There are exceptions, but most girls I know immediately assume comics, cartoons, computer games, sci-fi, fantasy etc ... are for kids without ever going out to find out what it's all about.

Nice piece of trivia TC :)

Back