Favourite ship?

culler

Spaceman
ooh my second thread :)

What ships did people enjoy flying the most?

For me, the Avenger from WC4. Here was a tough bomber that packed a wallop, and could dogfight too!

Next would have to be the Black Wasp from SO. Gotta love that machine gun-esqe Dust Cannon.

The Banshee comes third, because it just looks so cool, mean and light.

My top three ships would have to be the Vampire (standard or Black), the Black Devestator, and the Black Lance Dragon.

The Vampire just kicks ass because it has six heavy hitting guns up front and with 32 missiles loaded on that bird (unless its got a WW loadout),you've got plenty of ammo for any kind of fire fight. Plus she can turn on dime and give you a nickel change.

The Black Devestator can take a lickin and keep on tickin. That baby has five turrets on it and enough missiles and torps to take on a small battle fleet. Its not as manuverable but it still can dish up an alien ass whuppin.:D

The best thing I like about the Dragon, beside the ability to cloak, is the fact that you can see other cloaked fighters. It takes good aim to hit a cloaked fighter when you're flyin the Dragon. ;) It's got heavy guns on it that can tear up any fighter it goes up against, and enough missiles for those extended fire fights.

Basically I just like ships with lotsa fire power.

Then you would love the Morningstar with its three rapidly-recharging particle cannons and a Mace nuke on its underbelly.(WC2):)

WC1:Raptor-you can fire with full guns very quickly.

WC2:see above

WC3:Excalibur- its got punch, its got moves, and thin armor to keep you from slackin' off!

WC4: Dragon-no explanation needed...other craft would consider it the Alpha male!

Uber ships are fun to fly, what with all the firepower and/or defensive capabilities. (e.g. Excalibur, Dragon, Vampire)

but ultimately I guess for me they're not as fun to fly as the more standard stuff. There's a greater sense of achievement in racking up 20 bogies in a Hellcat than a Dragon.

Finally!! Someone else who appreciates the Hellcat!!

As for me, the answer is quite obvious- my favorite of all time is the Hellcat V. My list would have to be:

WC1- Scimitar
WC2- Ferret
WC3- HELLCAT V
WC4- Confed = Hellcat V, UBW = Banshee (if I can't choose the Hellcat twice, then I go with the Bearcat for Confed)
WCP- Tigershark

Woohoo :D

WC1: Raptor (love that firepower)
WC2: Broadsword (you just feel safer in one of those babies ;))
WC3: Excalibur
WC4: Vindicator/Dragon

My favorites are:

Scimitar
Excalibur
Vampire

Its a tie between the Scimitar and the Excalibur though. The Scim is tough, and with mass drivers you dont need anything else. The Excalibur looks great is just fun to fly.

Haven't we heard this enough? I thought a thread of favorites died sometimes last week. Anyway... how DARE you not mention the Epee? Go epee.

Raptor
Epee!/Morninstar
Tbolt
Bearcat
Black Vamp.

Easy as that.

Originally posted by -<Stiletto>-
Haven't we heard this enough?

Oops sorry, looked through the older posts, didn't see anything, I guess this board deletes stuff after a while, and there's no "Search" feature some boards have. I'll keep my mouth shut then, thanks

Dont worry about it. People enjoy talking about their favorites, which usually generates good conversations. Plus your new, you checked past topics, thats all you can do. Dont let anyone tell you what you can or cant talk about (as long as they dont violate the rules of course:) )

Definitely a fan of the Centurion in Priv, The Excalibur In WC3, Dragon in 4, and I don't know, there's just something about the Pirahna in WCP...

I have to say the Raptor really did it for me, it had the speed, protection, and MOST of all, the weapons loadout. Not only did it have those kick ass mass drivers, but also 2 neutron blasters as well for when you need that extra punch. As well, a porcupine mine, which was cool, and all the homing missiles you could want.

But after repeated gladius-bashing -<Stiletto>- got me into the Wraith again... And that's my new all time favorite! :D

The thing that does it for me is the squish factor... the ability to pour your entire gunpool or at least enough to vaporize it into an enemy craft crossing your path at right angles and high speed, and watch the hulk start to disintegrate as it hurtles off the edge of your screen. *grin* If you can couple that with a sleek design and a tendency to slide in high speed turns, it covered.

To that end:
WC1: Raptor (1.2 second stream of grey death! YEAH!) The Rapier gets props for its ultimate sleek looks but the too-crisp handling and not-quite-there weapons loadout takes it down.
WC2: er... not too much here that Im fond of actually... the Crossbow has a decent loadout and the turn to use it, but not the speed for really inspired dogfighting; the Sabre and Morningstar have speed but not the guns (ok, the Morningstar grazes what im looking for), and the designs aside from the Rapier2 dont quite fit my taste. Ditto for the Kilrathi ships.
WC3: what to say... for gun value and squishing the Thud (although if you can lose the torp and give me some more power that would make it more awesome), for sheer funky-moveness and a all around coolness the Excalibur, and for sheer badass looks the late-model dralthi (just think about the speakers you could install in the wing shoulders...)
WC4: Im sorry, it has to be the Dragon/Lance. The features on the standard model make me wonder what the loaded version is like... but if you insist on a model that you can still fly without some redneck shooting you out of space for being some wannabe nazi type then you have to go with the Banshee and the Avenger in the 2-car garage (the Banshee is all well and good for races and the commute, but it doesnt have a second seat and its harsh for those long trips. Besides, if Mr. T was in Wing Commander he'd have to be driving one of these things and too many people I know are Mr. T obsessed.
WCP/SO: Make it a Vampire... the only design that really has a squish factor anymore and by far the best in speed and brodies, although the looks dont quite do it for me. Mod the rear end out a bit and youve got a winner, regardless of any minor loss of flight perfomance.

Obviously the super ships are the best fighters to fly, though they aren't necessarily the most likeable.

WC1: Raptor (Dralthi in SM2)
WC2: Rapier (Morningstar in SO2)
Armada: Shok'lar
Priv:Centurion
WC3: Thunderbolt (Excal being the best, of course)
WC4: Vindicator and Dragon (DRagon is not only a super ship but also likeable)
WCP: Wasp and Panther
SOPS: Black Wasp

Looking strictly at the mainstream games...

WCI: Raptor. Decent speed and handling, immense weapons loadout for the era.

WCII: None. That's right, none. There's not a one ship that really stands out IMO.

WCIII: Thunderbolt. As with the Raptor, I prefer heavy gun armament, and the ability to take some damage (because I like to get in tight and mix it up close in). Of course I really prefer the Excalibur, but it's kind of overkill.

WCIV: Bearcat. Were it not for the problem of the gun packs being spaced too far apart (and therefore negating the close-in capability that I prefer), this would be the ultimate dogfighter.

WCP: Toss-up between the Panther and Vampire, depending on how quickly I have to dispense with enemy ships. The Vamp will make for quicker kills, but the Panther is an artist's dogfighter.

WCSO: Black Wasp, no question. Gimme the 8 Swarmers, the secondary IRs, and those beautiful Dust cannon, and the bugs don't stand a chance. :)

Back