Favorite Wing Commander Novel?

Deshrill

Spaceman
I haven't got a chance to read the WC Novels yet, but might pick some up off of eBay or Half.com. That being said, what Wing Commander Novels are regarded as being best, worst, mediocre, etc.?

End Run, Fleet Action and False Colors are all #1 for me.
Freedom Flight also great.

They are all good, although some people don't like the game novels because they don't always agree with what happens in the games (some things are there while others are not)

Action Stations, Heart of the Tiger and the Wing Commander Movie novelization.

Action Stations has the most details of Pre-WC1 era ships and politics, the only downside of this novel was the first name alteration of Krueger.

Heart of the Tiger is one of the best PC Game novelizations I've ever read and it sticks pretty true to the game storyline (except details regarding Flash's transfer to the Victory and Behemoth's ambush... but they're only minor details).

Movie novelization was the only justifying cause to read after the disappointment of the movie itself. But the novel was pretty well written and the combat scenes were quite well.

Personally I like Fleet Action the most of the ones I have read. I still need to pick up Action Stations, False Colors and Heart of the Tiger, and the movie novelization if I can find it.

I think End Run is my favorite - but I certainly have some good memories assosciated with the ones I got to help out on (False Colors, the movie novel and Pilgrim Stars).

ER was the first one I read. I got ER, FA, FF, and HoTT all at the same time. FA has a great story with BoT and all, but ER really develops the characters for the later novels.

One a side note my favorite novel character is Vance Richards. It was great to see him go from fighter jock to being in charge of Confed Intel and the reasons why he is there (damn that kruger huh...)

The Price of Freedom is my favorite followed by Fleet Action. I haven't read anything published after Price of Freedom and I only vaguely remember End Run so when I get the rest that might change.

My favorite character is Kruger. I always wondered what would have happened if he had commanded the Confed fleet during the campaign that led to the Battle of Terra.

RogueBanshee said:
My favorite character is Kruger. I always wondered what would have happened if he had commanded the Confed fleet during the campaign that led to the Battle of Terra.

He wouldn't have waitied like Tolwyn did and instead just charged headlong into the kilrathi fleet (he took on 3 kat heavy carriers with CVEs!) and see what damage he could have wrought before retiring and trying it again. He's a balls to the walls commander....

End Run, a great novel for any war or sci-fi novel fan. Fleet Action is good as well and contains the often mentioned Battle of Earth but you should still read End Run first to get to know the characters.

Kirha is perhaps my favorite kilrathi...although young Jukaga or Murragh rank a close second

Spien said:
End Run, a great novel for any war or sci-fi novel fan. Fleet Action is good as well and contains the often mentioned Battle of Earth but you should still read End Run first to get to know the characters.
The thing is not all the characters in Fleet Action are in End Run. There is still the Firekkan (can't think of the name of the one in particular) and also Hunter as well as Kirha. So to know all the characters one would have to read both Freedom Flight and End Run.

Anxiety said:
The thing is not all the characters in Fleet Action are in End Run. There is still the Firekkan (can't think of the name of the one in particular) and also Hunter as well as Kirha. So to know all the characters one would have to read both Freedom Flight and End Run.

That's because a lot of them die in ER or are transfered to places not discussed. There is an older thread about the subject of which order to read the novels in....too lazy to search though...

Back