Favorite tactics

Originally posted by Raptor
Vaktoths are very easy to kill with a Thunderbolt in Wc3.

Bah, what fun would that be, use a real ship, take a Hellcat :)
I usually fly whatever ship they (Rachel) tell me to fly, except for occasionally choosing the Arrow over the Hellcat (if I want slide ability).

Kinda more military ya know, its not like modern day pilots can go "Hmm... you know, I'll think I'll fly the F-14 today, hmm, or maybe that FA/18, nah, then again maybe a Hawkeye, umm..."

As for Vaktoths being easy to kill.. hmm.. never had that problem, them "widely-spaced" guns slice me up pretty easily oh well.. then you get behind it and the rear gunner does a pretty good job too.

Of course, pilots in the miltary are hardly expected to shoot down a dozen fighters per mission, or to take out several capital warships singlehanded. I don't see much point in limiting the range of fighters I fly for the sake of "realism" in a game.

As for getting sliced up pretty good by a Vaktoth's guns while flying a *Hellcat*.....well, duh! :D

Best, Raptor

It seems to me some of the turret gunners haqve some of the best AI. I recall having trouble with Gothri, Vaktoth and the bug transport turrets. The latter wasn't a problem with them hitting my ship, but they could do a number on torpedoes. I kinda wish some of the other cap ships turrets were that good.

I found the Tritons in SOPS to be particularily nasty against torpedoes, though Cerberus' gunners weren't that bad against torpedoes too.
I agree that the rear turrets in most WC games were more of a threat than a head-on assault.

Here are my tactics:
WC1: Against fighters I use full guns and a head on pass. As they come within range I take a few shots then angle away and use AB to dodge their shots. As they turn to intercept I slip right into their 6 and chalk 'em up. Missiles: IRs and FF on head to head passes. DFs if I can get close. Finally HS when they run. Capships: Strafing runs are sufficient.

WC2: Same as WC1.

WC3: Fly a T-Bolt/Excal and stampede them with full guns. Missiles: IRs only. Capships: Strafing runs, with or without autoslide are sufficient. If necessary I'll skin off some turrets first.

WC4: Eliminate aces first. Load up as many IRs as possible then use AB to get close to enemy fighters, firing IR when distance to target is less than 1000 klicks. Always make good use of wingmen.

WCP: If flying Tigershark/Shrike/Devastator: Use CMD or Heavy Plasma on head on pass. For other fighters full guns are good with perhaps a missile to soften the target first. Eliminate Stingrays, Devil Rays, Red Mantas and Skate clusters first. Leave Rays for last. Capships: Attack from behind, then skim the surface for the bridge. Eliminate Triton rear turret if necessary. Corvette: Use autoslide if available. If no autoslide, write out will, drink some [insert preferred alcoholic beveridge ;)], then blaze away with full guns.

Huh, you mean the Nephilim Corvette? No need to writethe last will, just stay behind it and you're comletely safe. :)

Or did you mean the Kilrathi corvette?

Ugh, I remember the nightmares WC2 turrets gave, with their ultra-powerful rapidfire neutron turrets... It made a mostly harmless Grikath VERY powerful. I loved turreting with the Broadsword, because a few stray shots would down a fighter...

Mekt Hakkikt: I'm talking about the WCP Kilrathi corvette. The other corvette's too pathetic to get special attention.

Hey even I'm not that useless. I suppose the only way you could ever have problems with that bug corvette is if you have an extreme love for head to head collisions :rolleyes:

I'll agree with that. The Bug corvette was sadly weak. Although the Kilrathi corvettes always gave me trouble, because I'm a light/medium fighter man, and tneded to have weak, but fast, ships when dealing with them. :)

The rear turrets were the only real problem I found in taking out Kilrathi in the start of a fight. You'd have to take down the smaller ships, risking the heavier to attack you-or take down the heavy ships, and take damage from the rear turrets. Just kinda depends on what the ships shape is at the time, I guess, on which I'd do.

Originally posted by Penguin
Hey even I'm not that useless. I suppose the only way you could ever have problems with that bug corvette is if you have an extreme love for head to head collisions :rolleyes:

Are you making fun of me? j/k ;)

As for the Kilrathi Corvette, I like to take out the rear turret and then just camp right behind it!

Okay all, what about the shelton slide? I never quite got that down and, from what I've read, alot of people live and die by it.

Originally posted by Viper61
Okay all, what about the shelton slide? I never quite got that down and, from what I've read, alot of people live and die by it.
I use the Shelton Slide a lot. In WC1 I use it to get behind Jalthis cause I don't want to take them head on in a Rapier (in a Raptor it tends to matter less).
In WC3 if I knew (read: died earlier in the same mission :( ) that a mission had Corvettes I would always pick an Arrow, the T-Bolt(iirc that could autoslide) or the Excalibur because they could autoslide. You can take out a corvette with zero damage even on nightmare in an Arrow using autoslides.

Edit: I did sometimes forget to turn autoslide off after killing the last Corvette, at least not until I thought 'hey, I'm not getting any closer to whatever I'm pointed at'. :(

Originally posted by -<Stiletto>-
Ugh, I remember the nightmares WC2 turrets gave, with their ultra-powerful rapidfire neutron turrets... It made a mostly harmless Grikath VERY powerful. I loved turreting with the Broadsword, because a few stray shots would down a fighter...

Yeah. The gun turrets in the other games were pathetic, only in WCP they were somehow useful.

Unforgiven: The T-bolt doesn't autoslide, but it was a very good ship for killing corvettes nonetheless. Its guns and shields meant that you could come away unscathed even in a gunfight with the corvette. The quickest option though, was simply to use the torpedo from head on. Wam, bam, thank you ma'am. :D

Best, Raptor

I don't really see how the WC3 Kilrathi corvettes are so troublesome to you guys. You can lock torps on them. You can blow away their turrets. Their turrets don't really do too much damage and they're not that accurate. Simply head in with full guns and keep strafing the same side. Obviously you break away when they start breaking through your shields. Even in an Arrow the process is simply time consuming.

They are probably eiterh don't know about the torp option or they use the wrong fighters, Penguin. I always torp cap ships., a quick kill that lets you go back and do the fun stuff, like dogfighting with the fighters.

Tactics!? I never thought tactics were any good in WC. In WC1 and 2 I used to fly head-on cuz that was the only time I could ever hit them enough to get a kill most of the time. In WC3-P for me it was flying around pointlessly shooting their tail until they died. :D

Back