• New Age (Prophecy, SO)

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Movie (Movie, duh :p)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • To Boldly Go... (Privateer)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Fleet Action (Armada)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Into the Shadows (Privateer II: The Darkening)

• The Forgotten (Academy)

• Larger Than Life (WCA: TV)

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Favorate Music Era?

Here I take advantage of my recovered ability to use polls. :)

Fatman is George Sanger, the composer behind the music for Wing Commander and Wing Commander II: Vengence of the Kilrathi. He's a very well repspected composer in the game industry. You can learn more about him at www.Fatman.com .

As for the WC1 Music CD he promised, I emailed him a little over a month ago and he never replied, which is VERY odd (as he is very puctual in his responses). I'll drop him another email.

George Oldziey, who did the music for Wing Commander 3 & 4 and did the "orchestral" music for Prophecy, had attempted to ask for the rights to his music from Origin/EA but they never responded. He was planning to release a WC music CD when WC: Online came about. We all know what happened to that...

WC3 & 4 music are great and I voted for them.
But if we remember the possibilties of our computer in 1990... well Fatman really did a great job ! I think that if he (and we) had more modern synthetiser he could have won this "competition". I am very eager to listen at the CD, if there is a possibility I can buy it on Internet...
Ahh the WC2 Kilrathi theme of the intro... !

I've really liked the music from all of the games listed, but I really think that Fatman did the best job; he was even working with 1990-era computer sound programming technology! I'm dying to buy that soundtrack we petitioned for.

LeHah, what's the deal with George Oldziey's CD? I've never heard the story.:(

LOAF could do a far better job than me but here's the rough idea:

EA was in early programming of Wing Commaner: Online, a MMP-online game, but EA stopped production. They did that with a LOT of games. It wasn't to concentrate on Ultima, which many people think, but to concentrate on what games were repeatedly proven to rake in huge sums of cash (in other words, UO).

EA dumped the game. Oldziey's Cd was never released. The End.

Oh, okay. Thanks a lot for clearing that up.:)

Too bad Wing Commander: Online was dropped. You're right, EA seems to have a real habit about starting production on something and then dropping it like a hot rock.

Any game company drops dozens of 'possible' titles during the development process... Wing Commander/Privateer Online was never announced, and so it's really not inappropriate of EA to have cancelled it without making a fuss <G>

As for EA's crazy business model, it is essentially thus: if something makes lots of money, milk it for all it's worth. This worked to our advantage and 'killed' Ultima some years back -- when FMV became 'the future of the industry'. Now Ultima is one step ahead with MMPRPGs being the current money cow... this too shall pass.

As for Oldziey's CD -- I think he's been talking about one to go with every product since WC4... I don't think Origin had that much interest (although they were fairly serious about releasing a soundtrack with Kilrathi Saga... but it didn't work out).

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

so was i after i saw the demo. It was real good,:cool:

Hmm...

I wonder if someone could create a Babylon 5 TC for Independence War? The physics are the same in both settings, so it should be possible...
Something to research on the net and find out if anything's been done with that...

And before I get too far off course...

Music.
I've loved the music in all of the WC games, but I think in a way I have to give credit to the music for the original game. Even when the composers changed, some of the original music still found a home in the game (the scramble music in WC3, for example), and while not everything stayed the same, enough of it did for me to feel a need to give credit to WC1.
Although I think it may have all disappeared by the time WCP was released.

There was just something about the music in Privateer that just fit the mood of the game, more so than in the others. But in general all the music in the games has been great. There's just something about Privateer it sticks with me more.

Originally posted by Wulf
Like Babylon 5...God I wanted to play that game!:mad:

If you bought Freespace you can download an excellent but unfinished mod of B5, great graphics, music, sound.

Originally posted by Ghost

If you bought Freespace you can download an excellent but unfinished mod of B5, great graphics, music, sound.

That mod is awesome! and they are still working on it!

Back