Favorite Missions

One WC1-era mission that I haven't seen mentioned is Corsair 6, which I think had the most enemies (29) of any one of those missions. The fighters didn't come in large waves, but there were just so many of them. You really had to manage your AB juice to take them all down. I think for the KS version they took a few ships out.

I remember that after a number of tries, I finally knocked them all down myself. It was really satisfying to hear Halcyon say, "Well, Cardinal, you got 29. And Angel blanked out.", then hear Angel sheepishly say she'd try better.

Someday I really must let myself lose enough times to play _all_ the WC1 missions- it was my favorite flight engine, but I can never force myself to go down any path but victory.

Losing Missions - There are several, but I really like the idea of missions you can't win. Rather, missions that you can win but fail to win the war... Hell's Kitchen, the losing Ayers Rock patrol, Proxima and Sol. Also, kudos to any losing series' that introduce new concepts, ships, etc. - how cool is it that they bothered to create a giant Kilrathi asteroid base for Delius?

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought of as you started to describe these things. The same for Callisto Station in Hellespont/Alcor in Prophecy.

Agreed. That's the nice thing about bothering to hunt down all the 'losing path' missions, quite often they have nice little bonuses which you would never see if you only played the missions resulting from always being successful.

I think Blair's wingman makes up for that series. Despite Stingray's disparaging remarks in the briefing room, it makes sense for two outcast pilots to be paired together. Besides, isn't Spirit supposed to be a sisterly figure for Blair? :)

I always liked Gimle 3 very much: 9 Dralthis, one of it being flown by an ace and you're in a Raptor. It's just a wonderful dogfight.

I liked that part too.

(On the other hand, I didn't like the end of the Confed path all that much... Script-killing the Lexington if you destroy the Intrepid is just illogical, cheap, and plain evil :p )

Purposely playing losing paths can feel difficult emotionally, usually because it's hard to let transports/capships/etc. die in order to see the path. This was especially emotionally difficult because at this point, you must choose to destroy your friends even when you know you're fighting with the 'bad guys'.

It might seem the script-killing is illogical at first glance, but I think there could be reasons for why this occurred. The Black Lance is purposely trying to instigate war between Confed and the Border Worlds. Purposely having the Lexington explode is one way to fan the flames of war.

EDIT: I decided this could start a completely new topic. So instead of risking off-topic conversation I decided to start a thread on "Remember the Lexington: A conspiracy theroy"

It might seem the script-killing is illogical at first glance, but I think there could be reasons for why this occurred. The Black Lance is purposely trying to instigate war between Confed and the Border Worlds. Purposely having the Lexington explode is one way to fan the flames of war. "

But that didn't help Tolwyn out much as I always left the Lexington alive, just leeched...

Disbaling the Lexington actually left it requiring that it be sent home for a yard repair - it actually did hurt Tolwyn quite a bit having it removed from the front lines.

Question: how does one tow a disabled capital ship? I know there are awesomely powerful tugboats (for their size) for moving around sea ships in real life, could that principle extend in WC? I can't imagine the power output necessary for, say, tractor beams being very economical, and I imagine tow cables could be quite messy with potential entaglements, especially with jump transits.

There are special tug ships - we see a Kilrathi tug in Wing Commander Academy (and one is named in the Confed Handbook.)

That said, the thing that was permanently disabled about the Lexington had to do with her ability to launch fighters... so presumably her engines were brought back online and she sailed home.

Oh, I was thinking about the leeching scenario, since that's what I usually do to the Lexington.

I suppose I ought to re-watch Academy at some point...

Oh, I was thinking about the leeching scenario, since that's what I usually do to the Lexington.

I suppose I ought to re-watch Academy at some point...

That actually reminds me, LOAF we never finished watching it during our Arena countdown because Arena went up an hour earlier than we expected. We should watch the last two this weekend at some point.

I'm probably not going to be around much this weekend because of everything with my mom, but we can do it at some point.

Back