Favorite Cockpit

Blaster

Rear Admiral
I was thinking about all the different cockpits we’ve seen in the wing commander games and tried to figure out which one I liked the best. The problem is that there are so many good ones I just can’t decide, so I thought I would ask everyone else which cockpit they liked the best and why.

I loved Raptor's cocpit because you could feel safe in it, I also like a scimitar's cocpit (because of the radar was in good position). I also like cocpit of a Centurion, one vdu is enaugh for me.

I liked the centurion's cockpit. It really made you feel like the master of the skies with that big bubble canopy.

I always liked the Scimitar cockpit because if its interesting coloring and the unique placement of the VDUs above your head unlike the other fighters in WC. In fact, I don't think another WC1/WC2 Confed fighter has its VDUs arranged like that.

I like Kilrathi cockpits. They are a nice variation from the usual green or blue Confed cockpits. I especially like the Kilrathi ones in WC Unknown Enemy.

Scimitar, the red coloring is unique and gets me in the mood to splatter Killie-cats all over my fighter. (Thus, much ramming of Salthis and Krants, the mechanics must hate me :3)

The hellcat 5, I loved the complex cockpit look, and my hand on the throttle first time I launched one in WC3.

However, based as a fighter craft, the scimitar would be the best choice, large view, and only key instruments/meters in sight.

I like the Arrow's a lot because of the armor and shields display. The chicklet blocks that make up the armor display made you realize you were flying a ship that was well protected by chicklets :)

The Raptor's cockpit always looked so uncomfortable to me - it just looked cramped and at odd angles. Great for adding character to a ship.

I don't really have a favorite. They all give me what I need to get the job done. I guess if I had to pick, it would be the Hornet. It was the first one I jumped into...

I don't really have a favorite. They all give me what I need to get the job done. I guess if I had to pick, it would be the Hornet. It was the first one I jumped into...

If you started with the original Wing Commander then the TrainSim was the first cockpit you jumped into... :)

I don't think there's a particular cockpit I love more than the others -- I especially enjoy when cockpits are particularly different (like the various two-seaters in later games)... but their importance depends on their being a canon of ordinary cockpits that I liked a lot in the first place.

I can tell you which cockpits I *didn't* like -- the ones in Privateer 2, Wing Commander IV, Prophecy, Secret Ops and Arena!

I can tell you which cockpits I *didn't* like -- the ones in Privateer 2, Wing Commander IV, Prophecy, Secret Ops and Arena!

Agreed. I'd like a return of the proper cockpit more than anything else. I don't need panning or the ability to click buttons. Just a nice pretty facade with VDUs and exploding LEDs.

I like the Arrow and Centurion best. Centurion with one VDU was a great idea...
WC4/Priv2 had the worst cockpits from all games (even EC Prophecy was better)...

That's a good point - it's worth noting that Prophecy and Secret Ops were a step back in the right direction... but they were still off the mark.

WC3 cockpits were cool. I loved the spidering on the cockpit when you took a hit.

Back