Favorite Anime?

Last Exile is about.. I think airmail. I only saw four episodes.

I measure all television (and cinema, now, as well) against Cowboy Bebop. I'm of the opinion that the quality of Japanese anime really took a swan dive into a septic tank after Bebop. All the art is exactly identical, all the stories and characters are pretty derivative... It's boring.

I just like cartoons in general. Right now I have a lot more fun watching goofy TV like Adult Swim, and introducing people to serieses like Bebop and Trigun and shucks, even Love Hina, than I do with the new stuff.

I guess it boils down to me not being a fan of anime, but of high-quality entertainment media. Film, television, games, heck, even print novels - if it excells at being what it is, I'm probably into it. If it's trying to capture me with WOW MOTION BLUR HOLYFUCK GUNBATTLES IN SPACE I probably already saw it the first time.

But let's see what my collection is...

Manly:
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Hellsing

Girly:
Love Hina
Chobits
Hand Maid May

Hades made me buy it:
Crest of the Stars

Defies description:
FLCL

Oh, and because it relates somewhat:
Battle Angel Alita - I didn't see the reputedly awful anime rendition, and this is the only manga I've read so far (Byydo forced it on me,) but I'm confident it has no equal.

Back to the original topic... Without a doubt my favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop. It'll probably never see its equal.

Hmmm,

I like the Mobile Suit Gundam series. Near the end of Feburary, I recently saw a lecture and appearance by Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of the series. He's very funny and he made a good crack against the third Matrix movie.

Been seeing Full Metal Panic lately. The chemistry between the two main characters is pretty amusing.

And as Frosty had said, Cowboy Bebop is very good.

AIRMAIL?!!!

Last Exile... It's about flying air battleships and WWI-style dogfights! There are these mysterious overlords that provide the fuel for these flying machines and it's REALLY, REALLY GOOD!

I thought Last Exile was probably the most overrated anime I've seen. The mechanical designs are pretty and the animation is pretty good (especially the CGI and battle scenes), but the plot is painfully derivative. "hey, what if we have ... a super battleship! And an EVIL SECRET ORGANIZATION! and give all the characters no personality!"

(To be fair, it's pretty good for what it is, but I don't think it deserves the "best anime eva!!!111" title everyone and his pet iguana seems to be heaping on it).

Okay, it's really, really good when compared to a lot of the other stuff that's been put out recently. Gundam SEED? Blah. WHR? Blah.

For me, Last Exile seems like one of those 'what-if' situations. What if the aerial dogfighting of Crimson Skies was mixed in with the world of Skies of Arcadia? The ship to ship combat really reminds me of the cap-ship battles that I've had in Homeworld (1 and 2).

I'm also kinda surprised that nobody else mentioned the .hack//sign series. I mean, sure it's not the greatest anime out there, but it's still pretty durned good.

And finally, here's hoping that ADV will be bringing Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu to the states. I would hate to think that they would be leaving the FMP series the way that the first series ended.

I don't think I've said in this thread yet, Naruto kicks ass.

Gai and Lee are great.

gaiandlee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have every single Cowboy Bebop soundtrack. Period. http://www.gkworld.com/ has some REALLY REALLY REALLY nice prices, but their shipping sucks so bad, sometimes it takes 5 to 8 weeks just to get anything! They're still selling the limited run of the Knockin' On Heaven's Door Original Soundtrack that came with the Cowgirl Ed OST AND the Ask DNA mini-album. "Earth girls! Earth girls! Are so eezay!" So far, the only thing that gkworld does *not* carry is Wolf's Rain OST 2, which I unloaded $30 for, and it was really worth it.

And I agree, Naruto sucks. I've been watching my friend watch about 10 episodes by now, and it just drags oooon and oooon and ooooon, without actually accomplishing anything more than the typical anime "oh-shoot-it's-a-tough-situation-now-I'm-gonna-discover-a-new-power-inside-myself!" type of thing. Right now, my absolute most favoritest anime that came out within the past year is Wolf's Rain, because it maintains all the fantastical elements that are good about anime but still treats the characters as real, fully-developed, erm, living beings.

Are you looking for a challenge?

I don't know if it is anime, but it's certainly Japanimation. I don't know if there is a difference anymore. But the best anime movies I've ever seen are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. Those Miyazaki films are just short of totally brilliant. I could rewatch both those movies over and over and never get bored of them. Few movies can I say that about.

Besides that, the only other anime that's any good right now is Stinko Man.

p.s. How do I put up pictures on my threads like you guys do? I wanna do that.

Back