Fav Sci Fi stuff

The current Blade Runner set has all five versions (workprint, theatrical, international, director's cut and final cut). If you're getting it on standard DVD, only the "briefcase" version has the full set (the four-disc is missing the workprint and the two-disc is missing everything but the final cut), but all of the BluRay and HD-DVD releases include all five versions.

Aha, thanks LOAF - I wasn't aware there was a standard DVD package out there that contained all five. I was aware that the HD versions did.

As I don't have a player, I only have The Final Cut (and the Director's Cut that was released for DVD originally, with the crappy video and sound.)

As for the Final Fantasy movie, it was alright. Plot-points I felt were particularly weak, but a fun film. As for Advent Children... I wish I could share a fraction of your admiration for it. Then again, I dislike FFVII (and most any Final Fantasy story) to begin with.

As for more great Sci-Fi that rises above the rest, there's always the original Planet of the Apes. It's hit and miss with many people, but if you haven't seen it recently - or at all - I highly encourage you to do so. From there, you can go on to 2001.

Appleseed: Ex Machina was great too. My girlfriend even liked them and when my sister borrowed them, asked if I had more movies like them. Wish I knew of more. Appleseed: Ex Machina is good but it runs in japanise with english subs and it's hard to watch the action and read the dialogue.

I've watched Appleseed: Ex Machina. The creator of the Appleseed franchise is the same who made Ghost in the Shell. His reason for abandoning GitS and starting Appleseed were that GitS took too much work. And I think it really shows in comparison. Not to insult anyone who likes Appleseed, but it's too watered down for me - another generic mecha anime franchise. The hacking-millions-of-people-and-making-them-cyber-zombies was a huge turn-off as well. If you haven't seen the original Ghost in the Shell movie or the series Stand Alone Complex, you should check it out.

Ghost in the Shell always struck me as a shallow movie. And I think I saw one episode of Standalone and it was kind of a turnoff in the way that all anime produced after 1998 is.

The movie was decent in my opinion, but the series? Not so much. The only anime I let myself watch anymore is Cowboy Bebop.

Another film a notch above the rest is Gattaca, and is also worth checking out for some more serious sci-fi that doesn't involve giant robots for the sake of giant robots.

Cowboy Bebop is so much better than any average anime.

It's top notch material, and it's not painfully endless and full of filler.

i still have to watch the movie.

Cowboy Bebop is so much better than any average anime.

It's probably the only one I'd recommend to someone who isn't an anime junkie. While it does have its tangents and filler, they're certainly a lot more unique than the standard fare material that gets recycled by the genre.

It's probably the only one I'd recommend to someone who isn't an anime junkie. While it does have its tangents and filler, they're certainly a lot more unique than the standard fare material that gets recycled by the genre.

I don't consider any of the episodes filler, they're all excellent.

Cowboy bebop is not just about a main storyline.

I don't consider any of the episodes filler, they're all excellent.

Cowboy bebop is not just about a main storyline.
This is very, very true. I'm always struck by how many people don't seem to understand Cowboy Bebop, even among those who enjoy it.

There are really only something like four primary episodes that carry the main plot arc. The rest are just fun little vignettes, basically, that serve to illustrate all the (truly important) things that never ever get dealt with in big bad self-important animu.

I'm reluctant to call Cowboy Bebop science fiction, though. It has a pretty standard sci-fi setting but it doesn't behave like real sci-fi. It did completely ruin me to anime though. Nothing will ever live up to it.

This is very, very true. I'm always struck by how many people don't seem to understand Cowboy Bebop, even among those who enjoy it.

There are really only something like four primary episodes that carry the main plot arc. The rest are just fun little vignettes, basically, that serve to illustrate all the (truly important) things that never ever get dealt with in big bad self-important animu.

I'm reluctant to call Cowboy Bebop science fiction, though. It has a pretty standard sci-fi setting but it doesn't behave like real sci-fi. It did completely ruin me to anime though. Nothing will ever live up to it.

That's exactly my opinion. I never thought I would agree so completely with Frosty...
"Main plots" are overrated. There is more quality and characterization in a single CB one shot episode than in entire 500 episode crappy series like Naruto.

Stuff like Bleach, One Piece and Naruto could actually be good, if they weren't supposed to lasr forever. And if they didn't copy that terrible DBZ pattern so closely. Do smaller, closed archs, and FINISH THE FREAKING STORY SOONER THAN LATER. Their premises are great, but the execution kills it.

You guys pretty much nailed why I like Cowboy Bebop; it's finite. I think that's why it's so acceptible to western audiences, because we're used to the 'serial' structure. Also, it's very noir - which has a special place in our entertainment culture.

Back