Fatman Update: A Dream Come True...

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
I've sent The Fatman several emails for the last six months and he's only responded to me now. Take a listen:

Hey, J!

I'm just fine, and please send my love and thanks to all the Wing Commander fans!

First of all, thanks for your concern. I'm fine, my family is fine, by business is even doing pretty well, thank God! I figure I'm doing OK as long as there's gas in the Rolls, know what I mean?

Regarding the Wing Commander CD. We have had it all set, musically, for over a year. However, before I got around to writing up the liner notes, an interesting light came on in my mind. This happened as a result of all the accolades for the great sounding orchestral scores that are coming out now for games...

It seems fairly evident to me that the tone of the orchestra brings a real joy to the hearts of people who hear it. And while Team Fat may be providing equal composition skills, and may be bringing an equally worthy personal vision to the listener as the New Orchestral Breed (many of whom I admire greatly: Michael Gioccano, the SoundDelux people, etc.), our vision is not going to "get through to" people as well without the big orchestral tone.

If it were a big hassle and a great expense for us to create that magnificent tone, we might be tempted to release the album "as-is," get closure, and let it go at that. However, it just so happens that we are in a remarkable position as far as orchestration goes. Dave Govett is known in all of the film, TV and Game circles as "The Man" for orchestral samples. He's begun to score for Hollywood movies, too. SO...

We decided a couple of months ago to re-orchestrate all of the WC music before we release it. We've been meeting on the topic regularly...the latest meeting was this morning at breakfast. Looks like we won't be quite able to meet our March deadline...I'm thinking we'll shoot for June or so. I'll try to leak some snippets to you as we go.

Meanwhile, check out the book (see sample chapters in the footer) and enjoy it (I'm sure all the Wing fans will dig it), and please continue to stay in touch...it makes a great difference to us to know that somebody cares as much as you guys do.

Thanks,
Love,
FAT

I've sent Fatman another email just to get some specifics from him, mostly on the sound pallate they're using and if they're using the old "Quantum Leap Orchestra" to make the score.

And so you know, 'J' = Justin

I bought and read the Fat Man's book. It was REALLY interesting, and had a lot of neat insights into game music. Stuff I never even thought about before.

No, we've got a synth.

But _what_ a synth!!!!!!!

(words cannot express...)

DL a quick sample of the Wing Commander Theme on the new sound pallate here

Gigastudio is the most advanced sampling software available. Dave was its
first user ever. Dave is the editor for the very latest huge orchestral
sounds, and has them before they become available to the public. When Hans
Zimmer needs help with his Gigastudio and samples, he hires...DAVE.

--Fat

Great job . . . George Washington will be proud of you when he returns from New England on his space lawnmower.

Ah, but you forget - New England consists of Anchorage Alaska, the 22nd parallel Disputed Zone and the deck space of the USS Scorpionfish.

Oh! Pardon my ignorance of US Geography!

Now I know that Anchorage, AK and the 22nd parallel Disputed Zone are part of New England. Although, I must ask- which one of the La Grange points is part of New England? I never could get that right.

Lagrange was French, so I think his name was Lagrange, not La Grange. But don't quote me on that. Anyway, I think it was the second one... you know, the one furthest from the Earth, on the other side of the Moon.

Back