Fantastic music update

Cadfael

Spaceman
Hey did you hear those mp3's from the fantastic music update 1???
Hey man they sound like shit!!! The midi sound was way cooler and i can't believe they actually made a cd of this crap !!!
Ok what i wanted to say was that i decided to bring you some mp3 files wich really sound like they had nearly cd quality!
But i just found out that my wave recorder doesn't work so i will take some time!

Hey, it's some jerk! Goodbye.

Err, anyway, there *are* no higher quality WC songs -- your maximum level for quality is that from the games itself. We already have posted the mp3s from Kilrathi Saga and the MIDI's from the early games...

He's probably taking the music and converting it to a higher bitrate thinking it would improve the sound quality or something like that which really wouldn't do a whole lot except make the file ten times bigger then it needs to be. Since he doesn't have a high quality file to begin with.

Too bad they werent washed thru DBX quantum finalizers and some companding processors. Those help, but some expensive gear. As LOAF stated, you usually end up with just a bigger file with no improvement in frequency response, since the source is limited. But doing A vs B comparisons, there is a noticable difference in a straight record of those midi's and washing them thru some processors then recording them. Too much trouble and time consuming.

RFB

What we need to do is find the original music artists and see if we can pursuade them (or get dead presidents to persuade them) to redo the same music on better equipment. I personally would like to see them redo the music but not in midi format, instead get a real orchestra, etc., and actually record the damn stuff like that. Imagine it... those that can, go play WC1 and listen to the music they play when you land. It's quite nice. Now imagine it with a real orchestra playing, gentle violins, etc.

That would be cool.

And then I could make techno mixes of it. =)

I know George Oldziey, at least, has a definate interest in recording the Wing Commander music... but he does not own it, and therefore cannot do this.

Not a bad idea. Who would hire the orchestra? Or better yet, use modern MIDI gear that can take one person hitting the keys and sound like an entire orchestra. Perhaps the music writters could re-make them with the modern midi stuff. I would think it would be very expensive to hire a full orchestra to re-record the music. You would want it on digital masters, which in the recording buisness, can get very expensive. Studio time can run you into as much as 1,500 bucks a day. Then the mastering process, which as long as that machine is running, your paying. A neat idea for shure. If only the written music scores were available, someone with musical talent could remake them, of course with the authors permission, since those tunes are in fact copyrighted!!

RFB

GODDAMN MOTHAFUCKING EA DONKEY COCK SUCKING ASSHOLE BITCHES!

So maybe we can persuade THEM, or get dead presidents to persuade them, to let him re record the shit. But they are really starting to piss me off.

Wow, I could be the first documented case of software rage. I get pissed that they don't use WC at all and hurt them by slitting their throats with broken (spare) copies of Priv.

Having composed myself a little, why not suggest to those ASS RAPERS, ah, sorry, to EA that they allow a Music of WC CD to be made, a set perhaps that allows the guy to re record all of them for all the games (or all the artists, I'm sure there's more than one). It'd be a simple way to throw us WCers a bone and let us gnaw on it. It keeps our hopes up, they make more money, our hostility towards them diminishes a little, and everyone is a little bit happier.

Were Origin to be interested in producing a WC music CD (they aren't -- it won't make money), then studio time is probably not a concern -- Origin has their own sound studio, IIRC.

You can go out and spend about the same amount of money for studio time and buy a PC with all the essentials to create your own pro sound recordings. Some very good audio software out there can turn your game machine into a powerfull audio recording (multi-track digital) machine! Add a little creativeness and youre set!!

RFB

Plus put them at a price to cover all that, but whos gonna pay the same price as a music group cd for a game music cd? Typical music cd is around 15 to 20 bucks, there would have to be something on that compilation to not only justify them making the cd, but clear a good profit margin. Perhaps just publishing the written music scores or something. Bah, Ill just listen to the tunes via the game. :)

RFB

And you've got to pay the orchestra and the composer...

It's far too much trouble and expense for anyone to go through to get better sounding versions of some music.

Wohoo Stop People!!!

Stop discussing just listen to these nice files!!
Tell me what you think and listen carefully because these files really sound different or (my opinion) more wc like!!

OKfirst of course WC1 Intro!

http://protest.exit.mytoday.de/cadfael/wc1.mp3

Compare it to the fantastic(crappy music update you'll hear the difference

WC2
http://protest.exit.mytoday.de/cadfael/Wc2.mp3

and
Privateer Retromusic
http://protest.exit.mytoday.de/cadfael/PrivRetro.mp3

Note:
These are just demofiles and just about a minute long.
The quality might increase because i dunno how to use mp3 files!
Ok thanks just tell me if you like them or if they suck!!

Ya thats why I think releasing the written music sheets to these would be a better idea. Much like you can get music sheets to major talents music. But who knows, they may be stingy with those like they are with the source code to the games!!

RFB

I can't listen to the music right now, but I can tell you that *you* suck <G>

Those two tracks this morning were *hard* to get... if you don't like them, don't listen to them... but don't go around yelling like a jackass.

Even if you *are* a jackass.

Back