'Fangs for the Memories (July 21, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Wing Commander Saga has posted a screenshot of their Bloodfang-class Superfighter model. The 3D model was created for the Freespace 2 engine by Scooby Doo, and it looks spot-on:

The Bloodfang, Prince Thrakhath's personal fighter, has appeared in quite a few Wing Commander games, including the WC2 Demo, WC2, WC3 and the CCG. It's also the ship which appears in the famous 'Kill Wrathy' easter egg in Ultima VII. You can read all about the fighter in our ships section here.

--
Original update published on July 21, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
You Rock LOAF and you know why ;) seriously thanks!

Anyway this bloodfang is lookingmighty Spiffy.. sow about that release date for the prologue :p

Really nice to see Thrakhaths personal ship in high detail, it looks great!

You can actually see a high resolution version of the ship in Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander III.

Glad to see you're still posting news, LOAF. And yes, that Bloodfang is neat.

I'd say I still post the news maybe a quarter of the time, maybe -- Chris is just better at keeping up with it than I am.

I am working on some stuff for the birthday, though... so I have that excuse.

Bandit LOAF said:
I am working on some stuff for the birthday, though... so I have that excuse.

Can't wait for that news update...definately the best ever year...

Where did the 2656 bloodfang come from? This is the first time I ever noticed it. I played through some of wing commander 1 but I don't remember seeing it.

EDIT: Oh I see the its in the wing commader 2 demo it doesn't appear any where else? Sort of seems like a waste to make the ship and not use it in game is there any story behind the 2656 blood fang? Was it meant to be in wing commander 1 or was it just redesigned when wing commander 2 came out into the bloodfang we see in that game?

Bandit LOAF said:
You can actually see a high resolution version of the ship in Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander III.
If that's the strategy guide, my dad used to have it but was given away back when I was around 6-7 along with all my other WC stuff.

EDIT: Oh I see the its in the wing commader 2 demo it doesn't appear any where else? Sort of seems like a waste to make the ship and not use it in game is there any story behind the 2656 blood fang? Was it meant to be in wing commander 1 or was it just redesigned when wing commander 2 came out into the bloodfang we see in that game?

We don't really know. It's a WC1-style file -- you can swap it with a WC1 ship if you want (I think it breaks when you target it, because there's no VDU image). You can't do that with other WC2 ships as they have a different color palette. It also appears next to other WC1 ships in the demo -- an original Dralthi and the Star Post.

One of the big reasons they did the Secret Missions was because there were ships left over from the original project... so maybe the Bloodfang is another one of these.

If that's the strategy guide, my dad used to have it but was given away back when I was around 6-7 along with all my other WC stuff.

There's three, actually -- and strangely, two are official guides. All about guides: https://www.wcnews.com/articles/books-e.shtml#part1

Bandit LOAF said:
One of the big reasons they did the Secret Missions was because there were ships left over from the original project... so maybe the Bloodfang is another one of these.
Although, considering how big the cockpit on the demo Bloodfang is (it looks like something you'd see on an airliner!), I wonder if the demo Bloodfang wasn't originally meant to be the Spikeri.

Although, considering how big the cockpit on the demo Bloodfang is (it looks like something you'd see on an airliner!), I wonder if the demo Bloodfang wasn't originally meant to be the Spikeri.

I wonder the same thing about the Snakeir, though -- it has a cockpit in the front that makes it look much smaller than we're told it is.

Sure, plenty.

There's this, which we called the Spikeri in the news. It's apparently an unused ship from Super Wing Commander:

fralthi.jpg

There's this ship, modelled here in the Saga mod. It was a sketch for an unused Kilrathi light carrier in Wing Commander III (it probably wasn't modeled - but the sketch was published in Origin's Official Guide):

saga-feb3.jpg

Then there's this, which is included in the game files for Wing Commander IV but never used... it's apparently a Black Lance carrier of some sort:

blcarrier.jpg

the Lance designs are really interesting...they have a distinct look to them that is a mix of plain jane and somehow menacing in the lines...could someone throw an image together of this carrier and the transport side by side...just curious...

Thanks for the pics, LOAF... It's always interesting to see stuff like that. Is it just me or is the Lance transport missing hull panels?

I wonder if the Lance carrier was replaced by the transport, or if they were meant to have their individual places in the storyline all along.

IIRC, there was at least one series of missions that was removed from WCIV at some point in the process... but I don't have any details on its contents, or exactly when it was cut.

Bandit LOAF said:
IIRC, there was at least one series of missions that was removed from WCIV at some point in the process... but I don't have any details on its contents, or exactly when it was cut.
Perhaps they were thinking of having the BL carrier instead of the Vesuvius in the game. But with nothing more than a model we can only guess.

Back