Fan Music

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
I'm going back to start writing music to specific scenes in the Wing Commander novels on my various PC synth programs. I'd like people's ideas on:

A.) What scenes youd like to hear done (I'm currently working on the music to the Stealth Chase in Fleet Action)

B.) What style you'd like me to use. I'm shooting for a Basil Poledoris/Starship Troopers and an Elliot Goldenthal (Alien 3, Titus) thing.

How about a Fat Man/Oldziey thing? :)

Really, I have not read the novels, nor have a good idea of what a 'good' style would be. Good luck with it, anyway.

I fail to see how writing music for specific scenes from a book can be adequately accomplished. It forces the composer to write programmatically since the listener has no visual cues to follow. Granted, the listener can read the section while listening to the music, but obviously that would be quite difficult and would require just a basic thematic premise to be composed. The only composition I can think of this early in the morning that was inspired by a book is Thus Spake Zarathustra which was written by Nietzsche and composed by Richard Strauss. In any case I quite hope you accomplish all you set out to achieve and I look forward to hearing some great things.

Jeez, Ace, your a constant thorn in my side whenever I post something I'm going to do. Are you sure you're not the Devil, or worse still, Skeletor? :)

I'd like to point out that this HAS been done Ace. Joel McNeely did a goddamned fantastic job on the score to the novel "Shadows of the Empire" a few years back.

[Edited by LeHah on 05-21-2001 at 10:58]

I think I've heard of some few unknown WC-based songs.

Something like...
"BorderWorlds" from the WC Virtual Aces club...
as well
"Tribute to Wing Commander".

I'll try for the .MOD conversion, but I can't make any promises, ok? :)

"Border Worlds"? "Tribute to Wing Commander"? Woo, really? Anyone else hear of this? Let me know...I'm interested.

Status update: I'm stuck on my first song; I'm trying to get this "Falling water" violin sound that Elliot Goldenthal uses on a sampler and it's not coming out right. It was supposed to be used as the "decent toward the moon" cue as Hunter chases the stealth.

I've decided to switch my programming boards over temperailiy to see if I can get a better out put in sound quality. It won't sound like an orchestra if it works, but it will sound a HELL of a lot better...

Creating music for a book is a great idea! A lot of times I will listen to music while I read, mostly Hans Zimmer and the like. I've found it aids the imagination generating the mental imagery of the scene. One time I was reading The Talisman from Stephen King and I listened to the GNR single of November Rain while I read it. Now when I listen to that song I can recall anything that happened in the book.

Thanks Shaggy! I hope all goes well with your WC Conversion of Duke3d. Let me know if you need help, I remember quite a bit about the BUILD engine from that game. I made a few levels myself... :)

"Tribute to Wing Commander"

wc-tribute.mid

I think was the name of the file. I think I picked it up at one of the Border Worlders fansites.

Perhaps I can patch it through some time, after extracting it from my old harddisk.

-Fraix

Hmm, I wish there was an expiration date on threads. I guess I'll just do a mass-close someday.

Back