Familiar Fighters Found (October 13, 2018)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Eagle-eyed ship spotter Doug Lee has found a squadron of familiar Wing Commander designs in an unlikely place: a mobile game called Stellar Patrol: Galactic Conflict! The top-down space game features a host of familiar Wing Commander designs... and even uses a Rapier as its app icon! This is likely not a case of licensing the IP from Electronic Arts as Stellar Patrol also includes a number of other familiar science fiction ships like Battlestar Galactica's Viper, Star Wars' A-Wing and Firefly's... Firefly. It's a fun little phone shooter reminiscent of Subspace. If you'd like to check it out, you can download Stellar Patrol for free on Android or iOS. Better hurry and get to it before the lawyers!

--
Original update published on October 13, 2018

I believe the dev’s plan is to have all the different lawyers die in a massive car pileup on their way to the courts. Otherwise, whoever is behind this is sooooo wrecked.

This kinda reminds me on how Tim Wisseman's "VGA Planets" used ships from Star Trek (most notable FASA-RPG designs), Star Wars and the original Battlestar Galactica and gave these and their factions different names.
However, I don't know about its licensing status.

In general, you can bet it's used without license - the licensing fees for stuff like this is quite expensive, not just in the actual licensing, but in trying to get someone to sit down.

And some like CBS require a $40,000 down payment before their licensing lawyers will even sit down with you to talk.

Quite likely the models used are what fans have released as well, so not only unlicensed, but someone's getting ripped off.

Back