False Colors with possible Spoiler

Originally posted by Nemesis

Not sure of your point. To me, you’re describing opposite sides of the same coin, especially since the conformity or lack thereof has yet to be demonstrated.

Really? I already explained how his behaviour and symptoms correspond to those laid out in widely published manuals that are used in the field. As for whether they conform to those or not, you're free to read those manuals and debate them with me, if you like. That way I get to do homework and talk WC at the same time. :)

Well, not after Newton I guess.:) Anyway, I would hope you’re not suggesting that an insane act automatically means an insane actor.

Not automatically, no. But in combination with other evidence...

[ An advertisement. Well . . . sure, that has some worth as regards canon. Some.

But I think on this topic we should hope that something greater can be forged out of our principal sources of canon. (And that was the claim.)

Why does Tolwyn's mental health deserve a greater level of proof than any other part of the canon? Much of our knowledge of the WC universe is based on single lines in manuals or one off statements. In this case, we have considerably more. We have a public statement from Origin that that describes Tolwyn as deranged, we have canon behaviour and symptoms that corresponds to real life criteria for mental illness, and we have, by your own admission, insane acts. That is a far stonger case for than there is against, which simply seems to revolve around the fact that he doesn't correspond to the layperson's idea of a raving psychotic.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Nemesis
Not sure of your point. To me, you’re describing opposite sides of the same coin, especially since the conformity or lack thereof has yet to be demonstrated.
Well, not after Newton I guess. Anyway, I would hope you’re not suggesting that an insane act automatically means an insane actor.
What I'm suggesting is that we don't need an explicit statement sometimes, when there's plenty of other evidence which could be interpreted as meaning the same thing as an explicit statement. Hence my point about gravity - nobody has ever told us it exists in WC, yet we never doubted it for a moment, because things behave as though it existed. Therefore, if Tolwyn behaves as though he is insane, we don't need to be told that he's insane. Especially since we've got access to some mighty-strong behavioural evidence - his thoughts.

An advertisement. Well . . . sure, that has some worth as regards canon. Some.
But I think on this topic we should hope that something greater can be forged out of our principal sources of canon. (And that was the claim.)
Ah, but you can't have it both ways :). You can't tell us that interpretation is not enough and canon evidence is necessary, and then tell us that some canon sources are worth more than others - that's interpretation, and baseless interpretation at that. The ad was made by Origin - like any other WC product. The ad tells the story of WC - like any other WC product. What, in your eyes, makes it a weaker piece of canon than, say, WC4?

Originally posted by Quarto:
What I'm suggesting is that we don't need an explicit statement sometimes, when there's plenty of other evidence which could be interpreted as meaning the same thing as an explicit statement.

I couldn’t agree more. To me, this is the ultimate incarnation of canon: taking the (more or less) settled facts and forging them into additional credible statements or assertions about whatever “reality” we’re exploring, in this case the WC universe. Marrying the Ranger-class carrier with the Victory is one such example, but small potatoes compared to Raptor’s thesis.

. . . if Tolwyn behaves as though he is insane, we don't need to be told that he's insane. Especially since we've got access to some mighty-strong behavioural evidence - his thoughts.

And we shouldn’t want to be told. I mean, Heaven forbid that Origin should ever produce a medical log or psychiatric evaluation for Tolwyn. It would absolutely ruin all the fun we could have otherwise. Ideally, with a complex issue like this, we should have to rely solely on reasoned interpretations of the settled facts. And if more than one reasonable interpretation is thereby produced, all the better, for then we’d have what “canon-buffs” like to call a “classic question”, which holds the promise of sustaining interest.

Forgive the following non-WC example, but it’s a good one and roughly analogous. One of the most interesting arguments I ever read was the claim that Sherlock Holmes after the Reichenbach Falls was not Holmes at all but a relative whom brother Mycroft had trained to fill the shoes of the dead detective. What was the proof? A detailed contrast of the particular interests and habits of the “pre-Falls” and “post-Falls” Holmeses. Now of course this contention never had (and never will have) any chance of convincing the True Believers in the world (I mean, we are talking heresy here:)), but it nonetheless must be respected in Holmesian lore simply because it is grounded in clever, logical use of the settled facts.

But the catch in all of this is you have to have enough settled facts, which brings me to . . .

You can't tell us that interpretation is not enough and canon evidence is necessary . . .

It depends on a key question that’s been taken up before: Does WC have enough settled facts (or canon evidence) to ensure that an effort at reasoned interpretation of canon will not devolve into a purely speculative, if enterprising, piece of fan fiction?

If there’s one topic where there might be enough, I’d say it’s the rise and fall of Tolwyn, one of the most (if not the most) developed of all WC characters. But what’s going to be required is having all the canon references to Tolwyn at one’s fingertips, plus a working knowledge of psychology.

. . . then tell us that some canon sources are worth more than others - that's interpretation . . .

That’s just a given. We have numerous examples of how canon sources, and even statements within a single source, can differ qualitatively. We know we can’t take all of the games’ graphics at face value (e.g., “seven” AMGs on the Concordia; Kilrathi speaking English amongst themselves). The credibility of the statements in Action Stations cannot be absolutely assumed in the way statements can be in the other novels. The characters’ opinions or observations in the novels are not on a par with those of the (omniscient) narrator.

A source’s credibility can even degrade. The Privateer . . . no, I mean Trade Commander . . . press release is a case in point. The game Origin promised is not exactly the game Origin finally produced. Still, despite its being undercut as a result, that press release continues to have some value for its nonconflicted parts. (Reismann could be “a bloodthirsty commander” even if he sounds a little weak-kneed before the final battle with the Drone.)

The ad was made by Origin - like any other WC product. The ad tells the story of WC - like any other WC product. What, in your eyes, makes it a weaker piece of canon than, say, WC4?

Because advertising’s strength is to oversimplify and/or exaggerate. That casts the bona fides of the statement into some doubt.

The statement still has value though. It’s just that it’s somewhere on a sliding scale we can’t pin down. At the very least it calls Tolwyn’s mental health into question, and so we should certainly consider the possibility. And at most it would tell us Tolwyn was deranged (in the formal, clinical sense), though still leaving the particulars, including how and why, as questions to be answered.

Originally posted by Raptor:
I already explained how his behaviour and symptoms correspond to those laid out in widely published manuals that are used in the field.

Well, what you said has the makings of an introduction to, or possibly a summary of, an argument/explanation.

With your “enthusiasm” for Tolwyn and your background–not to mention that you made the claim–I thought you’d make a go of tying together details in the canon in order to produce a striking profile. But it sounds like you’ve got a lot on your plate already. Is okay. I know what that’s like.

Originally posted by Raptor
Why does Tolwyn's mental health deserve a greater level of proof than any other part of the canon?

You tell em, Raptor. :)

Originally posted by Nemesis I couldn’t agree more. To me, this is the ultimate incarnation of canon: taking the (more or less) settled facts and forging them into additional credible statements or assertions about whatever “reality” we’re exploring, in this case the WC universe.
Except that Raptor had provided you with plenty of details about Tolwyn's behaviour matching symptoms of mental illness... if he didn't provide links to particular incidents, book pages, scenes, etc., that's only because this would be a waste of time when we all know Tolwyn so well.

At any rate, if you're gonna insist on precise canon proof, don't count on me, because most of my WC sources are half-way across Europe from me :(.

Before I begin the whole qualitative thing, I'd just like to say that I do in fact agree with you :p. However, your argument (that we must provide canon, ie., inviolable sources, but that some inviolable sources are less inviolable than others) is not in agreement with itself, which is what I'm going to try to demonstrate.

That’s just a given. We have numerous examples of how canon sources, and even statements within a single source, can differ qualitatively. We know we can’t take all of the games’ graphics at face value (e.g., “seven” AMGs on the Concordia; Kilrathi speaking English amongst themselves).
Disagree - there is no reason to dismiss in-game stats as not being qualitatively on par with manual stats. Although we know the reasons why they are different (balancing continuing after the manual has been sent to the printers), and a case could be made that in-game stats are more correct because they were finished later, the fact remains that both are simply sources of canon - nothing more, nothing less. If you claim that such a source is not as good as another source, you are in fact going against the very concept of canon, since that concept is based on its inviolability.
And as for the Kilrathi speaking English, are you going to also say that the German translations are less canon than the English originals, then? That's like a Christian saying that an English Bible is less holy than a Hebrew Bible.

The credibility of the statements in Action Stations cannot be absolutely assumed in the way statements can be in the other novels.
Except that that's a very different thing. See, the events of Action Stations, strictly speaking, aren't canon at all. The only thing canon about Action Stations is that some Navy guy is claiming to have talked to Tolwyn before his death, to have done a lot of other research, and then is claiming that the result of this research is correct. It is his act of making a claim, not what he's claiming, that is canon. But that act of making a claim is no less canon than the Concordia being a Confederation-class dreadnought - ergo, here too, your argument fails.

A source’s credibility can even degrade. The Privateer . . . no, I mean Trade Commander . . .
Curse you for bringing that up! This is the point on which I agree the most - but here too, I am obliged to say that at the end of the day, this press release is no less canon than the game itself. Again, for the simple reason that if we question any canon source, we question the concept of canon itself.

Because advertising’s strength is to oversimplify and/or exaggerate. That casts the bona fides of the statement into some doubt.
Setting aside the fact that - once again - this is a claim which you cannot make if you're going to insist on us providing canon sources... are you saying that the summary of an argument is actually less correct than the argument itself, even if the summary sums the argument up perfectly? That seems kinda strange, to me.

Wow, another long post. Hey listen, we're gonna have to keep these things shorter, because I don't want to spend too much time here :).

Orinally posted by Nemesis Because advertising?s strength is to oversimplify and/or exaggerate. That casts the bona fides of the statement into some doubt.

The same argument could be used for any other piece of canon that tries to compress information down. A manual tries to present a heap of game in formations in a very simplified form. A movie tries to tell a story in two hours that might take 4 to 6 hour in a novel, or 20 to 30 hours of gameplay. And that's not even going into the fact that people who create movies, novels et all will dramatise and accentuate certain elements for their own purposes. So, depending on one's viewpoint, any form of canon* is open to question depending on the questioner's interpretation of what those who created that piece of canon were trying to do. If one is questioned, then all come into question. And then we don't have canon anymore.

The statement still has value though. It?s just that it?s somewhere on a sliding scale we can?t pin down. At the very least it calls Tolwyn?s mental health into question, and so we should certainly consider the possibility. And at most it would tell us Tolwyn was deranged (in the formal, clinical sense), though still leaving the particulars, including how and why, as questions to be answered.

None which changes the fact that the plain statement in the advertisment openly adds mental health as legitmate topic in the Tolwyn debate, something that has been missing before. By your own admission, the advert puts it somwhere between his mental health being questionable, and him being clinically insane. What lies between those extremes is the field of mental illness, which as I've said elsewhere, is as varied as physical illness.

I think it would be pretty impossible to definitely say that he *was* insane, any more than it would be possible to say *anything * definitely about Tolwyn's motivations and character in that late stage of his life, given the controversy surrounding that character. However, as I said before, I don't believe Tolwyn was clinically insane. To be honest, that's a case that I don't have a particular interest in making, as clinical insanity would absolve Tolwyn of all responsibility for what he did.

Well, what you said has the makings of an introduction to, or possibly a summary of, an argument/explanation. With your ?enthusiasm? for Tolwyn and your background?not to mention that you made the claim?I thought you?d make a go of tying together details in the canon in order to produce a striking profile. But it sounds like you?ve got a lot on your plate already. Is okay. I know what that?s like.

Not so full that I don't have time for things like this. :D My claim was that events of war was responible for Tolwyn's break-down, which was pretty succintly covered by that advert. "Fuelled by the horrors of war, a deranged human mind..." Similarly, even you seem to be conceding that the canon statement in the advert Tolwyn's mental health is somewhere in the range between mental health and all-out insanity, which is what I've been saying all along.

While I have heard a lot about the "short-comings" of the case for Tolwyn's mental illness, I have heard a resounding silence for the case for Tolwyn being mentally sound. Given a canon statement that Tolwyn was degranged, there is no greater burden of proof for the idea that he was ill than that he was healthy. If anything, the burden of proof lies with those who are trying to disprove a canon statement. While my statements might not make a water-tight case on their own, they do make a pretty good supporting case for a for what is already stated. The case that seems to be lacking is that that of those on the other side of the fence.

Best, Raptor

[T]here is no reason to dismiss in-game stats as not being qualitatively on par with manual stats.

No, there are reasons, but you raise a fair point otherwise. What we’re about is deciding how best to solve the conflicts between them, and more generally between graphics and text. We have our choice of at least three ways: (1) to adopt a new canon that says when text and graphics conflict, text rules (or vice versa); (2) to generally favor text over graphics in principle (or vice versa), but ultimately decide the matter only on a case-by-case basis; or (3) to seek to harmonize and so preserve both statements by inferring a new fact that eliminates the conflict. This is an issue that should be discussed further.

And as for the Kilrathi speaking English . . .

My only point there was that the Kilrathi aren’t likely to really be speaking English (though of course they literally are).

[T]he events of Action Stations, strictly speaking, aren't canon at all. The only thing canon about Action Stations is that some Navy guy is claiming to have talked to Tolwyn before his death, to have done a lot of other research, and then is claiming that the result of this research is correct. It is his act of making a claim, not what he's claiming, that is canon.

If this is about semantics, you’re free to call the statements in the novel anything else you want, but that doesn’t change the need to decide if those statements are credible. My view is that Schwarzmont seems credentialed enough to write his novel, and absent some contradiction from another source or a logical defect, the facts presented in his work, including in the mostly contrived dialogs, are generally entitled to the benefit of the doubt.

But if you’re not talking semantics and are really saying we cannot give those “facts” even the benefit of the doubt, then . . . what? Goodbye Ranger-class? Goodbye the history of the Concordia-class? Goodbye our “tours” of MacAuliffe, the Landreich, and Fawcett’s World? And what’s now the status of the information contained in other “in-universe” sources?

I am obliged to say that at the end of the day, this [Trade Commander] press release is no less canon than the game itself. Again, for the simple reason that if we question any canon source, we question the concept of canon itself.

So you do prefer to live with such factual conflicts and contradictions no matter what? I prefer that my logic and my faith live in peace. (And I feel life is more fun that way.) As we debate such “differences of opinion” though, we should keep in mind that the ultimate issue may not be which view is correct, but whether we can live with our disagreement. As history further demonstrates, anyone who concludes that canon has gone “astray” is always free to declare a “reformation” and go off to form or to join another group that adheres to the “true” canon.

The same argument [about advertising’s tendency to oversimplify] could be used for any other piece of canon that tries to compress information down.

But of course. And it is. Both oversimplification and ambiguity involve not being given as much information in a given instance as one should have. So just what do you think we’re doing in the Zone when we debate what the “continual problems” were (referred to in the KS manual) that led to the retirement of the PTC, or how the mass driver cannon really works, or whether Tolwyn was mentally ill? We debate them because there is no ready answer; Origin simply hasn’t told us enough (or it has but we have to go looking for it in more than one statement/source). LOAF’s current project to harmonize/standardize ship stats stems from the same problem.

[T]he plain statement in the advertisment openly adds mental health as legitmate topic in the Tolwyn debate, something that has been missing before. By your own admission, the advert puts it somwhere between his mental health being questionable, and him being clinically insane.

And by “questionable”, I mean it could still be the case that he’s completely sane and rational. Words like “deranged” are often used to exaggerate in order to emphasize the quality of a person’s acts as opposed to his/her state of mind. For the reasons I gave earlier about canon, especially the point about relying too heavily on a single word to resolve a complex issue, I think only a detailed analysis of Tolwyn’s actions, statements, and thoughts has any chance of making out a case for mental illness. (Perhaps we’ll have that some day.)

I think it would be pretty impossible to definitely say that he *was* insane, any more than it would be possible to say *anything * definitely about Tolwyn's motivations and character in that late stage of his life, given the controversy surrounding that character.

You must despise historians then. Is that because they end up having to interpret the past and therefore produce a reality that often isn’t literally true? (At least you’re consistent.:))

However, as I said before, I don't believe Tolwyn was clinically insane. To be honest, that's a case that I don't have a particular interest in making, as clinical insanity would absolve Tolwyn of all responsibility for what he did.

But Origin could have meant just that with the word “deranged”, and that is usually its literal meaning. So let me see if I understand your overall position now. You believe that the word “deranged” is proof of some degree of mental illness but not clinical insanity because you don’t want Tolwyn to be let off the hook for his actions? Wouldn’t it be better to say that we can’t honestly hang this kind of issue on a single word, no matter how literally we can read that word, and therefore a more in-depth analysis is necessary to resolve the issue?

My claim was that events of war was responible for Tolwyn's break-down, which was pretty succintly covered by that advert. . . .If anything, the burden of proof lies with those who are trying to disprove a canon statement. While my statements might not make a water-tight case on their own, they do make a pretty good supporting case for a for what is already stated.

Still trying to have your cake and eat it too? Your professed prejudice against Tolwyn has really hurt your arguments.

. . . Raptor had provided you with plenty of details about Tolwyn's behaviour matching symptoms of mental illness . . .

No, he provides interpretations of details that he merely claims match mental illness. What most bothers me though is that he treats the matches as obvious, as if anyone would hit themselves aside the head and say “Why, of course!”

Well Blair, Paladin, and Eisen don’t. They even have a fundamental disagreement over whether Tolwyn is in any way a changed man, let alone a deranged one. And Schwarzmont certainly doesn’t buy into the idea, which is curious given his aims in his novel.

Basically, the problem is non sequiturs galore. Flattened effect? Assuming that’s true for the moment, could that have anything to do with the fact he’d effectively sentenced a fair number of people to die previously during the Battle of Terra? (At any rate, he seemed sufficiently emotional on the subject during the confrontation before the Senate.) Paranoia that magnifies a potential threat? I thought that leaders in the military/intelligence are supposed to be focused on potential threats during peacetime. (And didn’t “something” happen not too long ago in our own reality that demonstrates the need?) Anyway, what’s the deal with “potential”? Tolwyn knew about the coreward race that the Kilrathi were concerned about. I could go on with the other claims, but it’s just not worth it.

At any rate, if you're gonna insist on precise canon proof . . .

Not to be cute, but I’d say it’s the canon that insists upon it. I didn’t concoct the questions I asked above; they arise quite naturally out of the canon itself.

[Y]our argument (that we must provide canon, ie., inviolable sources, but that some inviolable sources are less inviolable than others) is not in agreement with itself . . .

So, depending on one's viewpoint, any form of canon* is open to question depending on the questioner's interpretation of what those who created that piece of canon were trying to do. If one is questioned, then all come into question. And then we don't have canon anymore.

Hmmm . . . methinks I spy a few oversimplifications and exaggerations here.:) But your two related concerns also arise in just about every other sort of “belief system” we could name, from the religious to the scientific.

Your first point really involves semantics. You say canon is inviolate. But which one are you talking about? We don’t use the word consistently, which is largely the fault of the word itself because it has different meanings–among other things, it can be a priori beliefs or dogma, it can be an “official” opinion or a “settled” fact, or it can be a “standard” of judgment. Pretty much following suit, we have used the word to refer to the “essence” of WC, i.e., the defining traits that make it WC and not Star Trek (the principal “givens” like the Confederation, the Kilrathi War, the Pilgrim trait, the particular physics, etc.); we have used the word to refer to the official “trivia” of the WC universe (the jump-line arrangement of space, the characters and their histories); and we have used the word to refer to the validating “sources” of those principal traits and trivia (the games, the guides, the novels, the movie, etc., all of which lead back to Origin).

So in which uses of the word are we talking about something inviolate? For the most part, none. The bulk of our belief system is always subject to change by Origin in its creative omnipotence (e.g., Tri-System, Pilgrims, Nephilim). But we have, in practice, also caused it to change, either in our efforts to “clean up after Origin” and resolve conflicts/ambiguities (e.g., the Concordia’s seven vs. eight AMGs; the history of the Iason) or to “anticipate” Origin by trying to infer new facts from the old (e.g., the Ranger-class and the Victory; the standardization of ship stats). And despite such changes from time to time, the WC universe shows no signs of crumbling into chaos as far as I can tell, which is what matters most. (In fact, such “additions”, “corrections”, and “logical extensions” to canon seem only to have enriched WC lore, not undone it.) Still, I would agree that we do have one inviolate canon that is mirrored in the foregoing: our supreme standard of validation that what Origin says, goes.

But as also reflected above, what Origin says is not always clear and unambiguous. This brings us to the second point you raise–interpretation, or more particularly, literalness. You seem to be saying, in conjunction with the notion of canon being inviolate, that even if Origin’s “statements” aren’t always clear or unambiguous, we should still treat all of them as qualitatively the same and accept all the information we’re given at face value and without further question.

We could choose to follow that conservative approach of course, but the results would be, IMHO, unwanted. We could then only wonder about the contradictions in ship/fighter stats between the games and the manuals. The history of several ships, from the Victory to the Eisen, would remain blurred if not a complete mystery. The sort of analysis that Raptor began about Tolwyn’s mental health would be improper. And so on. Canon would stagnate into the preparation of cut-and-dried alphabetical/numerical lists of Origin’s “pronouncements” to date, with no particular promise that any more would be coming our way any time soon.

In addition, because graphics could never be taken as representational or symbolic, the WC universe would become an absurd place, with people who can change their identities and features over time, as well as alternate between two-dimensional cartoon and three-dimensional flesh-and-blood forms, the latter being perfect “copies” of our own world’s actors (Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, etc.) Yes, the so-called Pilgrim power would pale by comparison.

Finally, there are the experiences of other belief systems to consider. In the case of Tolwyn and Origin’s use of the word “deranged” (and “crazy” and “madness” too), you are proposing to characterize a complex issue on the literal meaning of one or a few words. History shows that that’s just too much of a burden for this linguistic unit to bear. Two examples–

“. . . and God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. Evening came, and morning came, the sixth day." Revised English Bible

“Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech . . .” Bill of Rights

In sum, forbidding any interpretation of Origin’s “statements” would place canon in a most unnatural straitjacket.

This seems to be becoming increasingly pointless :p.

Nemesis, I am not trying to make any statement about how we should or shouldn't interpret canon. All I'm saying is that your argument is flawed because you are in fact using two arguments which are in opposition with each other. During this debate, you continuously waver between the argument that Raptor must provide canon proof (because it is needed to back up any argument), and the argument that some canon sources are more canon than other canon sources. These two arguments destroy each other - the first demands total adherence to canon, the second destroys the idea of canon entirely.

To explain more clearly. At times you regard canon exactly as its name would indicate that it should be regarded - as an inviolate source to be followed religiously and not questioned at all. In this case, there would be no question of ambiguoity or anything else - wouldn't matter if at one point Origin said the Concordia has fifty AMGs, and at another said the Concordia never actually existed - we'd have to regard both as true.
And at other times, you seem to regard it as merely an academic source, to be argued about, to be proven trustworthy or discarded. In this case, all of it is open to questioning, and we are free to try to fit it all together any way we like.
Clearly these views are diametrically opposed to each other. You can't have it both ways - make up your mind :).

This, by the way, is exactly the difference between, say, Fleet Action, and the contents of Action Stations. One is canon, the other is a canon presentation of an academic source (which may or may not be correct in part or in entirety - we don't know).

Well, long posts are what result when someone spends a whole week thinking about his posts. :) It just seems a pity that all that thinking and verbiage can't do anything other than restate his proposition that canon isn't really canon unless it happens to support his own viewpoints, in which case it beyond question. The simple fact of that matter is that a canon source refers to Tolwyn as deranged, plain and simple, without any qualifications, ifs, buts or maybes. And while deranged can have a whole range of meanings, the one meaning it doesn't have is perfectly mentally sound. That is canon, and there is no canon source that contradicts it. The best he can do is string together an argument from *inferances* that can be argued either way, and try to pass off his logic as having more weight than a statement that comes directly from Origin's mouth.

Best, Raptor

Let's all donate to the "Get Raptor and Nemesis a Life Fund." Just kidding guys. I actually sat and read through the whole thread. Maybe I need to start a fund to get my own life if I had enough time to do that... anyway. It's nice to see people who think out what they post and justify what they say. ;) But in the public interest, could you only post abridged and/or condensed versions? EEK! LOL.

My life revolves around several goals, one of the more important ones being bagging Bradd Pitt.

I think that was awfully straight-forward actually.

My friend went to school with her (and Julia Styles, who I must add is a complete dumbass) and was trying to talk to her about a blind date with me, but she transfered.

::Sigh:: :(

Back