F22 and the International Date Line

Yeah, I saw that too.. but seriously, 241-2 kill record in a simulated war game...

those are some impressive beasties of aircraft.

and according to that very article linked up there.. the two losses from the blue team were NOT F-22s they were F-15 Eagles. Sort of puts the technological divide in perspective.

The simulated kill ratio is especially impressive when you consider how staggeringly dominant the red team's fighters have proven to be over the years. The F-15 is essentially the undefeated champion of the air, with over 100 kills to no legitimate losses.

To double the effectiveness of the world's most deadly fighter in simulated combat against that fighter is mind blowing. People give the F-22 a hard time, but it's demonstrations like this that really prove it's on a whole other level.

The simulated kill ratio is especially impressive when you consider how staggeringly dominant the red team's fighters have proven to be over the years. The F-15 is essentially the undefeated champion of the air, with over 100 kills to no legitimate losses.

To double the effectiveness of the world's most deadly fighter in simulated combat against that fighter is mind blowing. People give the F-22 a hard time, but it's demonstrations like this that really prove it's on a whole other level.

So, the understatement of the next decade or so is: not bad for thr F-22:)

Well, I guess it makes sense that we'd be able to make the most advanced fighter in the world and also make a stupid mistake with it. :p

Well, the more high-tech something is, the more things that can go wrong. Looking at it objectively, one bad line of code isn't bad for something like the F-22.

On the contrary, it's very, very bad. When it comes to military equipment, bugs of any kind are intolerable, and particularly bugs that put lives in danger - had there been no tankers with the F-22s, this could have ended quite differently.

I think this actually proved that the pilots can still fly the planes by themselves.

I seriously do wonder what went wrong here, did the systems fail because the plane could no longer connect to a sattelite due to the unforeseen time differential? If this is the case that means the F22 would be a sitting duck in case of a communication blackout.

Not necessarily. Without knowing the (classified) specifics we can't know for sure what happened, but it may have been that the problem was caused by seeing an external input that differed from what the computer was expecting. A blackout would mean no external input, not bad input.

As long as they have standard pressure altimeter, not computerized, in their plane then they would have no problem. I'm going for my Instrument rating now and its amazing how you can fly with only one or two instruments working. For military trained pilot, would be no sweat. Think the press is jumping to conclusions.

FLY SAFE AND WATCH YOUR SIX...

Back