Extreme 3D Pro Not Working with Wing Commander 4 (GOG)

nal2us22

Spaceman
I purchased WC4 from GOG. Very happy with it.

Just need to get the Extreme 3D Pro Joystick working.

WIndows 7 sees it as my ONLY joystick which is great.
Alt O gets me into the controller GUI. Tried all three Joystick checkboxes, one at a time. The only thing that works is the trigger function. Nothing Else.

I can go into Joystick Cal Mode from Alt O but thats as far as I can get.

Do I need to physically pull the mouse USB to get the program to see the joystick?

I am out of ideas here. Can anyone help?

Thank you

GOG is the dosbox version correct? I'd first check that dosbox is set to emulate a joystick in the configuration file.

Try choosing CTRL+J during the game. It helped me to enter "JOYSTICK MODE". I have Windows 10 and the same type of joystick.

Another thing to try - go into control panel -> devices and printers -> game controllers ->

(Note - these steps are for Windows 10 - it may be slightly different on 7 but if you search "game controllers" in control panel, you should find it.

Ensure that windows sees your joystick - if not I would see if you're missing drivers.

Assuming you can see it, select it and click advanced. Changed the "preferred device" drop-down to the Extreme 3D Pro and see if that works.

I did everything mentioned above. Even reached out to the manufacturer for the Extreme 3D Profiler download.
Still no joystick control. Even after confirming Joystick is seen by Windows and is the primary..... it is the ONLY joystick listed. Did CNTL J in the game.... still no joystick control with WC4. What am I missing here? BTW, its a Windows 7 / 64 OS.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased WC4 from GOG. Very happy with it.

Just need to get the Extreme 3D Pro Joystick working.

WIndows 7 sees it as my ONLY joystick which is great.
Alt O gets me into the controller GUI. Tried all three Joystick checkboxes, one at a time. The only thing that works is the trigger function. Nothing Else.

I can go into Joystick Cal Mode from Alt O but thats as far as I can get.

Do I need to physically pull the mouse USB to get the program to see the joystick?

I am out of ideas here. Can anyone help?

Thank you
Maybe you caught this yourself already and it isn't the problem, but when you go to the alt-o menu to choose joystick, don't forget to click "save" before exiting the menu or it won't actually switch to Joystick control.

As far as joysticks go though, if you have any other gamepads or USB controllers plugged in there is a bug in windows that's been present from at least win7 till 10, where you will need to unplug all the other USB controllers to get the stick to work. It's something to do with how windows sees the default game controller, (it's possible it's been fixed in Win11 but I can't test that at the moment).

Have you tried calibrating the joystick. ALT-O and the calibration button? Or does it not work?

You can still check the configuration file with extension *.conf, sections [joystick] and parameter joysticktype=auto.

Tried all of the above-mentioned suggestions just now. I did confirm that joysticktype=auto with all other settings in the .conf file set to false.
Additionally the one thing I DID FORGET to do was to save settings in the Alt O menu. No effect. I can still fire with the joystick trigger but have no other control. Any additional ideas would be helpful. Am I missing something here? I have done everything in this thread as well as what I have seen online for suggestions which is basically the same suggestions as in this thread. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

I got the Logitech 64 bit profiler software for the Joystick but need a little help setting it up if that is... indeed the answer to my problem. Any thoughts?

Ok I did some experimenting and found that my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick works fine with another program running Windows 7/64.
So that leads me to believe it has something to do with WC4 ( DOSBOX) that is the issue.

Any more thoughts friends?

Tried all of the above-mentioned suggestions just now. I did confirm that joysticktype=auto with all other settings in the .conf file set to false.
Additionally the one thing I DID FORGET to do was to save settings in the Alt O menu. No effect. I can still fire with the joystick trigger but have no other control. Any additional ideas would be helpful. Am I missing something here? I have done everything in this thread as well as what I have seen online for suggestions which is basically the same suggestions as in this thread. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
This does sound like the 'multiple USB controller" issue. The mouse should not affect the joystick but if there's any other USB input device connected it could possibly be doing it. Is there a reason though you are using the DOSBOX version in instead of the Win95/DVD version from GOG? That version at least uses directx stuff for the joystick input. If you can get the joystick working with that then you can at least narrow it down to a problem with a setting in your dosbox config file.

Problem Solved. I installed the GOG Non DOS version. Joystick works great.

Thanks everyone for your input, assistance, and support. Happy Gaming!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem Solved. I installed the GOG Non DOS version. Joystick works great.

Thanks everyone for your input, assistance, and support. Happy Gaming!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you got it working. Have fun!

Back