Extended Timeline (for Bob)

Prove me wrong, and write out your calculations. Or better yet, stop interfering in my affairs unless you have something useful to say.

LOAF: Are those death statistics for the war only, or do they include pre-war casualties?

Corsair(pilot) said:
Yes, but in the same respect each tiny little planet cannot have it's own dating system, or you could potentially be 100 years old in one place, and 4 in another. Considering all of the evidence that the wing commander universe uses our own dating system (the age of characters, months being mentioned, 24 hour time, etc), it would be fairly logical to assume that "Earth time" applies to all of the confederation.

They probably rearranged the year so there's 365.25 days per year, and avoided all the silly leap year stuff.

Antman said:
Prove me wrong, and write out your calculations.
I'm not wasting my math on you, though. You're just some random kid who thinks you know better, and I do math for a living.

Antman said:
Or better yet, stop interfering in my affairs unless you have something useful to say.
Likewise. Don't ever mention my name, Standoff's name, or the name of anyone on my staff on anything you write ever again, unless I have commanded you to do so. Else, you're interfering in my affairs, and I will respond appropriately.

PS: Please, stop sending me private messages. I have nothing to talk to you about, and I would like you to keep whatever comments you feel you must share with me to yourself, because I'm not interested.

Hm... as for the dating system I do agree that the Earth-based system was extended to the entire Confederation. However, it looks reasonable to me that every planet has its own local dating system for everyday things.

Antman said:
365.25 wouldn't be accurate, though.

Why not? You're assuming that they've stuck with the same units all over Confederation space, without any regard for local systems that'd be affected by planetary rotations. We're not even sure if Earth uses that as their local system; they'd have had to adjust the units a bit to make that work, or else just stuck with the old-fashioned units and worked with the Confed systems when necessary.

Antman said:
3.65.242199 is exact. It includes leap years.

.24 every 4 years is almost an extra day. There is another clause where a leap year is skipped, which is why it isn't .25.

Assuming that I stick with the 2.1 trillion deaths on the Confed side alone, and that there are roughly 1266796800 seconds in 40 years and 62 days (2629.105 is when the Iason was destroyed without any consideration for the exact time she was destroyed, 2634.186 is when War was officially declared), then that's 1658 deaths per second, at least if we're talking statistically, and using the assumption of one Confed year = 365 day units. Remember that not all deaths that occured during the War would have been directly related to it, and those have been left out of the 2.1 trillion which we're aware of. Also, that 2.1 trillion has also been rounded up or down so it's easier to talk about - that's an approximation, which is useless for more than general trends if even that. Deaths during the war would've taken place not singly (usually) but rather in large clumpings at once, rendering that figure even more useless as anything save a rough statistic - the Kilrathi War wasn't just a single Kilrathi warrior running around, killing one person per second, and then taking a few moments to have a kid who went around doing the exact same thing.

If we go with the 'war began during the declaration, ended with the Temblor Bomb strike and Melek's surrender' idea, then there are only 1102118400 seconds in the 34 years and 346 days that remain, resulting in the 1905 figure you apparently missed. That doesn't count the exact time between the declaration of war and the surrender that Melek offered, nor any time it took for word to be received by any armed Kilrathi raiders following the surrender itself. Again, this makes no sense when you consider the above comment on deaths.

Incidentally, there are NOT 3.65 days in a year, so you'd best watch the typing or the math, too. Anyhow, while that '1901' deaths per second is still inaccurate.

And to think that I thought the last thread was pathetic...

That is again assuming that they rounded the year to 365 days. I also didn't take into account the fact that it wasnt exactly 35 years.

Antman said:
Oh, and Eden, as far as I am concerned, you are an idiot. You came in here, and posted 'your an idiot', basically, without even stating a proper mathematical answer, and then you say you are a mathematician. Amazing, you work with equations, you are a modeller, an artist, and a programmer, all at the same time!

If you're going to waste your time flinging insults around, you should at least make sure you SPELL THEIR FREAKING NAME RIGHT :)

Also your post makes no sense .... why can't someone be all of those things? This isn't Naziland, America, where everyone gets assigned a set job and Byydo shoots you if you stray from it.

Also, good job in ruining a potentially interesting WC canon thread over a lousy throwaway statistic.

Could you ALL stop this shit?
Antman may have same something or other that most people would consider stupid or agressive before, but that does not give everyone the right to simply throw stones on him when he makes a post, so stuff that shit (which is exactly what ruined the post, as Bob put it)
Also, Antman, you too cool down and learn to ignore other insults when they are not called for, youre not helping a bit

Now, about the actual threat, cause there is no use in going on with this stupid bickery, its not an easy thing to have time conversions between different planets like we have on earth cause planets have different lengths of time, seasons, whatever
that means, we would have a basic date, most probably based on Earth's, since its the center of confed, that would be in some way addapted to other planets. In that way, a planet may have 2 nights before the actual confed time moves 1 day. Its extremelly complicated, specially if you add up thousands of worlds, so its quite pointless to try to figure it all out

Also, about the year. Cmon, why would Confed change the way they do the years with leap years (I hate how you call it in english....it sounds stupid, sorry :)). If they did that, other than completelly changing the way time is counted (a bit like what Antman said, changing the 'value' of a second), you would have screwed up days. Yeah, so no more leap years, and then, boom, a few months later, your nights are days and oh my god, people go crazy. There is a reason for the extra day each 4 years. The only way that can be 'fixed' would be to either change the value of time itself (be it seconds, hours, days, months or years) or mess with Earth's rotation :)

- K

Well put Kalfor.

In keeping with the "rescuing the thread" theme ...

Confed forces liberate the enslaved population of Cabrea System. But the TCN Human Relations Agency clamps down on all vid-transmissions from the system, citing "the interests of Confed-security." Report emerge hat horrific conditions exist within the system. A psychological assistance team en route to counsel survivors and deliver supplies is obliterated in a surprise attack as they pass through normally peaceful asteroid belt. Transmissions from the cargo ship indicate that the Kilrathi have developed a new fighter that is nearly indistinguishable from a small asteroid chunk.

This is interesting, as it directly contradicts Fleet Action's statement about a war of total annihilation. I wonder if the writers took that into account, or if they had some other idea. Most of the other inconsistancies can be chalked up to later sources, but this is odd.

Eight-six new bills are introduced in the 1,234th Confederation Congress, all of which pertain to the rights of Kilrathi survivors.

Another weird thing ... unless the Confederation was founded in 1435, there would have to be several congresses convened a year to make that number make sense. I assume the writers were simply making up placeholder numbers for this sort of thing, but it'd be nice if they made at least a bit of sense.

(I feel oblidged to mention this text is from the WC Bible, more information on which can be found here )

Also, about the year. Cmon, why would Confed change the way they do the years with leap years (I hate how you call it in english....it sounds stupid, sorry ). If they did that, other than completelly changing the way time is counted (a bit like what Antman said, changing the 'value' of a second), you would have screwed up days. Yeah, so no more leap years, and then, boom, a few months later, your nights are days and oh my god, people go crazy. There is a reason for the extra day each 4 years. The only way that can be 'fixed' would be to either change the value of time itself (be it seconds, hours, days, months or years) or mess with Earth's rotation

... because the time of Earth's rotation doesn't apply to a galaxy-spanning civilization.

(Plus, no one else has pointed this out... you can't differentiate February 29th with Confed's three digit 'stardate' system...)

Antman said:
Oh, and Eden, as far as I am concerned, you are an idiot.
Said the kid who sent me private messages with little more than "fork you. again, fork you" (polite form) in them, and then actually took the time to look me up on ICQ just to insult me there as well. Way to not be an idiot there.... keep it up!

I was going to reply to the rest of your points here, but I think the thread is still salvageable, so I'll save my typing and everyone else's time.

I'd prefer it if this thread stay open - it seems to be getting back on track. You can delete all the Antman stuff if you want, though.

Welcome back welcome back welcome back....

Interesting timeline...although some of it seems odd now...

So you are saying that Confed abandoned the leap year system? Or did they just change the length of the second to coorespond to it?

Bob McDob said:
This is interesting, as it directly contradicts Fleet Action's statement about a war of total annihilation. I wonder if the writers took that into account, or if they had some other idea. Most of the other inconsistancies can be chalked up to later sources, but this is odd.
I'd guess that after things didn't quite work out as planned in FA, they may have changed their mind about the whole killing-all-humans thing - they would have needed all the additional slave labour they could get, especially to be able to bring those new dreadnoughts online in under a year.

... because the time of Earth's rotation doesn't apply to a galaxy-spanning civilization.

I agree with you, but I'm proposing that perhaps the Terran Government has used their Earth system to measure time in a consistant fashion for all of the Confederation. It wouldn't be the first time they've taken old Earth ways of doing things and applied them to the whole galactic body; ranking system, government structure, languages, etc.

It just seems a little odd to me to say they've taken leap years out of the system when there is no reason to, or evidence supporting this theory that I've seen, except for LOAF's comment about Confed's 3 digit stardate system, which I'm not exactly clear on... I always assumed that the system worked as 2669.311 = the 311th day of the year 2669 AD? I don't see why you can't differentiate February 29th for this system?

Back