Expanded Memory Issue

M

MembraneX

I installed Unknown Enemy within the first week I found out it was released. I couldn't get it to work using the regular graphics mode so I used software and the game worked.

Played for a bit then I saved and shut down my PC for the night. I woke up in the morning and went to check my e-mail and my computer gave me the error message "There is not enough free expanded memory to run Windows." As I downloaded nothing but UE that day I can only assume it was the cause of the problem. I wish I could offer a solution to those who have been similarly afflicted but I couldn't solve the problem short of a complete format of my hard drive. Might want to look into this.

Cheers,
- Clayton

AMD-k6 500mhz
128mbs of RAM
Voodoo 3 2000 16mb PCI video
Sound Blaster Live Value

If it comforts you, I'll tell you that UE has nothing to do with your proplem :D

I sometimes have this kind of problems with some models of PCs here. I work in an old hospital, and the electrical system is old and unreliable. The fix is: unplug your power bar (or power supply if the computer is plugged directly onto the wall's socket), wait for 10-20 seconds, then re-plug. Restart the computer. This may sound silly, but it may solve your problem.

Edit: lots of typos !

Originally posted by MembraneX
Played for a bit then I saved and shut down my PC for the night. I woke up in the morning and went to check my e-mail and my computer gave me the error message "There is not enough free expanded memory to run Windows."

That sounds like a memory error for me. Had a similar error message not too long ago when a lighting went down pretty close to my house. At first my PC worked (besides that the network card, the parallel and one serial port had been out). Then windows didn't boot anymore from one day to the other. Reinstalled the beast and got the above error.
Finally turned out to be faulty ram.
Strangely enough protected mode (pre to installing) and DOS (even dos4gw stuff) worked flawlessly...

I don't see any way how UE could be related to this.

That's... really weird. I thought only the older DOS games use expanded memory - it's not supposed to be efficient to use expanded memory in Windows. I used to do it so I could play WC1/2 with the extras in Windows, but then I got rid of it (the expanded memory, I mean).

Back