Exact size of craft

Chernikov

Spaceman
Hmm... could someone with good size knowledge sling the exact measurements of various parts of a Dragon fighter this way please? Ditto for Devestator and Excalibur if you dont mind so much.

Easy enough . . . find atop down, bottom up, and side pic and extrapolate. I think you can get better results by asking for those and using the 32 meter length.

C-ya

Well, yes... but that would take work... :p

That question was aimed @ any of the modelmakers out there who had notes handy, if nobody has them I'll be doing the math over the weekend.

Oh... also what is this about "32 meter lenght"? I didnt find anything in back posts...

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. What do you mean by various parts?

As Viper said, you can measure any part yourself using the known length value: 40 meters for the Lance, 36 meters for the Devastator and 32 meters for the Excalibur.

Dunno how many of you guys got Lightwave or 3DSMax, or something similar; though with the number of modders around here...

If you got it, it's even easier to figure out an exact length if you import a mesh of the craft in question, then scale it so that its in-program length is at the correct number of meters. Height and width are displayed right there for you, right down to the decimal.

Really helps out of you're terrible at basic arithmetic, like I am. D:

If you're wanting to take the measurement of an individual part, if I was doing it, I'd use the method I described above and then cut the parts you want out of the mesh. Isn't too hard - either boolean with a cube or copy the mesh, then edit it and delete all of the unwanted vertices and faces. When you're done, the new object will give you the exact dimensions.

Fanboy.

Re: 3d proggies I dont have any that I think will use existing model formats, and Im not eager to shell out $ to get one ATM. Looks like FMV viewing all night.

WHEE!

You don't need FMV - just load up a mission where you're flying the fighter in question, and measure things with the 'object camera' option.

FMV is prettier. :D Also, arent there a couple of geometry differences between the FMV model and the ingame model?

(That and you can get the Dragon in the game-start FMV from both end and side perspectives... but you have to play through the game to get the missions, and ive got 3 other games im working on already...)

The sizes on FMV frequently don't match with the ones on the game engine. For example, I think the FMV Vesivius is much larger than on the game engine. The proportion between the Banshees and the Intrepid also appear to be different on the cutscenes.

He's talking about geometry, not scale-to-actors, though. If you say "that ship is 36 meters long", Blair's height won't affect anything.

That, and isnt the FMV more reliable for size because of game engine limitations?

Side note: a bit ago there was a sweet render of a Banshee and an Arrow posted, the Arrow was meshed by Mihai Vladu, and he has a Dragon model in the WC3D section. I remember finding a homepage with a lot of work on it that was similar, of bleeding high quality, and each ship was accompanied by the reference material that it was based on. Im unable to dig this out - do you know where it was and if it was also Vladu's work?

No. For this type of work, which doesn't involve scale relative to other objects, both FMV and in-game models will give you the same measurements.

Well, if it doesn't involve scale relative to other objects, it should be just fine. What you can't do is figure out the size of the of a banshee by looking to the Intrepid on a cutscene, because it would probably not add up. But since that's not the case, its OK. :)

Well, of course not... because in a cut scene you're dealing with a forced perspective... no matter what the SpaceBattles submorons will tell you, you can't determine the size of two complete unknowns by comparing them in a completely undefined situation. :)

aye indeed,

I think that one of the blurbs for prohecy was that the Ships in the game engine where all the correct length and scale etc reletive to the game world...

in many post 1998 space games i've always felt that cap ships didn't feel as big as they should be, X-wing vs tie fighter was quite good for that, particuly with imported WC ships, nothing quite like going evasive down the hanger of a ranger class while being chased by tie fighters, only for the ship to change orientation and you go smack into the flight deck... hehe

I agree.

However, in the specific case, the Banshees were leaving the hangar, so you know where they were, and they seemed a little too big. Not that it's important.

BTW, what do you think of Starship Dimentions? They surely could use some WC ship in there.

I got in contact with the Starship Dimensions guy back in September. He has a bunch of WC images and dimensions (20 capships to be exact) I was given and he seemed really excited about putting them up (along with everything else I could get my hands on).

As you can tell by the last update date though, not much has happened on the site since I've sent him the stuff. I'm waiting to see a little initiative on his part before I bother anyone else for more images. I'll drop him another email, see if I can move things along ;).

C-ya

Back