Eve Online - What do you think of it?

Jumpstart

Rear Admiral
Greetings,

Please forgive this old Wing Commander fan for possibly bringing up a topic that has been beaten to death. However, I'm curious as to what you WC fans think of Eve Online?

Have any of you played it? It sounds essentially like what Privateer Online was suppose to be like. Is the gameplay good? Is the online world interesting?

I'm particularly interested in how it compares in style to great Space-Sim titles like Wing Commander and Privateer. Does it even come close? I'm interested in the game but i'm curious as to what you all think about it.

A few months back I was apparently given a free 7-day trial to EVE Online and I was blown away with the size of the game universe. If you look at the starmap, the entire game playing area is some several dozen times larger than even Freelancer's.

I enjoyed it, but the game is rather highly automated. Mining, travelling and combat are all computer controlled and are highly based on character and ship skills and "dice rolls" in an RPG-esque sense.

When you want to mine, you select your mining laser and click on what you want to mine. When you want to attack, you select your weapon and click on what you want to attack. When you want to travel, you choose your destination and autopilot, and it makes whatever system jumps are necessary to reach your destination.

Now that I have a more reliable source of income I have been thinking about getting back into it.

Yeah, I've heard the main parts of the game (mining/combat) is somewhat boring because of the automation. Once you get a pretty advanced group doing stuff together though, I hear the designs you can build and things you can do as a corporation are kind of neat.

It's only $10.95 a month if you pay a year in advance. (which I guess may be a lot for people with too many bills or without a good paying job)

I wouldn't want to play it though unless I could in good conscience dedicated at least two hours a day to it to get my money's worth.

i couldn't stand the game whats so ever. but its personal rather then the games fault, if you like dungeons and dragons in spaceits all you, personaly when i get a space game, its for space combat, yanking back on my joystick etc. etc.... ie, i want a wing commander game :eek:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. After your comments and reading up some more on it, the whole "space-sim RPG" concept is probably not for me right now. :)

EVE Online is really something that should be tried first. It's too bad they don't give out more week-long trials.

Considering the unorthodox nature of the game, maybe it's really what they should do, then after the week is up require full payment or cancellation.

Back