Engine design...

And after all, the fighters can fly at max. speed after having spend all their fuel, even in WC1. So, they don't rely that heavy on fuel, just for the ABs.

It was just a bit odd that in WC1 and 2 you consumed fuel as long as you had it even when flying without ABs.

Yeh, and then in WC3 (which wasn't that long after WC2 timeline wise) you didn't.
But then, there were a number of major changes from WC2->3... like the inability to do proper shelton/afterburnslides.

Originally posted by Supdon3
When a ship opens its "scoops" it begins collecting hydrogen to fuel its engines, the impact of the hydrogen on the scoops serves to slow the ship down, creating a drag like that of air in an atmosphere.

Ummm, one nagging tactical question about this: How in the world can it collect Hydrogen (or anything else) if it's enclosed within the craft's shields?...(thus negating any "impact", leading to the creation of any "drag", as you suggest).

Perhaps the authors of these novels overlooked that little (but crucial) contradiction...

Originally posted by Preacher

Ummm, one nagging tactical question about this: How in the world can it collect Hydrogen (or anything else) if it's enclosed within the craft's shields?...(thus negating any "impact", leading to the creation of any "drag", as you suggest).

Perhaps the authors of these novels overlooked that little (but crucial) contradiction...

The shields don't block everything. If they did, you wouldn't be able to land on a carrier. Hydrogen atoms are way to small for te shields to detect anyway.

Why does the good guy always have to be ranked higher than the bad guy? Why do the good guys always have to win!? </swordfish>

:(

Okay, I was gonna query the ranks here, but it's going off topic. So I've created a new thread for that one here

Meson, I wouldn't go as far to say that... Sheids are formed using energy to stop things getting to it... therefore any particle with a charge, positive or negative, would be repelled (or sucked in, although is we assume they have a phase, usually repelled).
Only non-charged atoms would pass in. Hydrogen has a Valency of 1 - ie, it has a charge.

(PS - sorry about the double post)

... Meanwhile...
/me steps into Halcyon's office to receive his order for promotion.

WC shields don't stop things travelling under a certain speed (Mach something or other... I'd have to look it up in AS, which is upstairs.)

But how do you tell what is travelling fast when your ship is moving. Okay, so it's possible they have some way around it, but under simple conditions, because of this couldn't someone come up from behind, using guns fired at close to the same speed (slightly more) than the ship is travelling - or have the particles not actually be thrust in any direction, but merely left dead in space, allowing the guns energy to get in - in effect would be the same thing as Hydrogen that was left stationary.

akashra, what pseudoscience are you talking about. Natrual Hydrogen has a charge of zero. Hydorgen ions, also known as protons, have nothing to do with this conversation.

I could ask you the same question.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not), but Hydrogen is element number 1 on the periodic table.

Giving it a valency of -1
Its' natural charge is 0, yes...
How could Hydorgen bond with anything if it had a 0 valency?
IF it had a 0 valency, then it would probably have no problem at all getting through shields.

Hydrogen is generally bonded with another hydrogen atom in nature, creating H2, hydrogen gas.

Originally posted by akashra
I could ask you the same question.
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not), but Hydrogen is element number 1 on the periodic table.

Giving it a valency of -1
Its' natural charge is 0, yes...
How could Hydorgen bond with anything if it had a 0 valency?
IF it had a 0 valency, then it would probably have no problem at all getting through shields.

I don´t knowin you universe, but in our when the Hydrogen is ionized or in some compound his valency is +1, except in the H2O2, in his gaseous form is H2

Um, I always thought it was taught in chemistry that hydrogen may take valancies of both +1 and -1.

Now I won't carry on with this discussion, because it's absolutely pointless! :) (Or unless someone else decides to carry on.)

Originally posted by Meson

The shields don't block everything. If they did, you wouldn't be able to land on a carrier.

Landing on a carrier WOULD be doable "even if the shields blocked everything" (I assume here that yer talking about the fact that the landing bays are ALSO protected--by the Carriers OWN shields); the narratives contained in some of the novels explain a fair bit about how that mechanism works...

Originally posted by TC
WC shields don't stop things travelling under a certain speed (Mach something or other... I'd have to look it up in AS, which is upstairs.)

"Mach"?...mach is a gauge of velocity relative to the speed of sound in atmospheric conditions; There ain't no "mach" in space--that would be an anachronism. (I seem to recall a promo line from some sci-fi space movie--perhaps "Alien": 'In space, no one can hear you scream'. That about sums it up)

Back