End Run...out of print!

the__phoenix

Spaceman
:( I'm really desperate! The Wing Commander novels "Fleet Action" and "False colors", which I recently read are rally great, so wanted to read "End Run" as well. Does anyone know, where I can get a copy of it? I tried Amazon and some other online bookstores. The result, Amazon dosen't ship this particular book to Austria (but most other Eurpean countries - strange :confused: -) and the other bookstores does'nt have this book at all.

Well its hard to get ahold of, mine wasn't in great condition and cost me a bit, I believe there is an online version, anyone got a link to that?
Its not the same as owning the novel but atleast you get to read it :D

Originally posted by Pedro
Its not the same as owning the novel but atleast you get to read it :D

You are absolutly right, but I already looked for an online version, without success :(

Originally posted by KrisV
There's usually one on eBay or half.com.

I never tryed companies like eBay, is it save?

Of course it's safe*.

And reading a book on your computer screen is no fun at all.

* Unless you're an idiot.

Uhm yeah... better print it out on paper...
You won't get the nice cover with the "hilly" picture though..
By the way, how do you call it, when either the book title or the cover picture is kind of "3D hilly", like End Run or Freedom Flight ?

Speaking of which, does anyone have a clue as to what might have caused my PDF version of End Run to look corrupted in Acrobat Reader? Most of the letters are missing (yeah, as in, they simply don't show up at all, for some reason!), so I've never been able to read it (or find out how to fix this :()

--Eder

Arrow, do you know if there are WC novels in book stores in austria? I never saw even one of them.

Just when you guys thought you could get rid of me...

Half.com tends to have quite a few copies of End Run usually. Don't pay over $8 though, as I got a mint copy for that much 7 months ago.

Originally posted by Eder
Speaking of which, does anyone have a clue as to what might have caused my PDF version of End Run to look corrupted in Acrobat Reader? Most of the letters are missing (yeah, as in, they simply don't show up at all, for some reason!), so I've never been able to read it (or find out how to fix this :()

--Eder

Are you using the latest version of Acrobat Reader? Someone else had version 3 (I think) and every other letter was missing. He got the latest version and then it looked fine.

http://www.blacklance.org/jetlag/endrun/endrun-r1.zip ;)

Originally posted by Lynx
Arrow, do you know if there are WC novels in book stores in austria? I never saw even one of them.

Back when they had been released it was easy to get the German translations in book stores. I did not see one for a long time except the movie novel however. Ask if they can order it.

Never saw an English version in a local store however. Ordered all those from the net.

Originally posted by the__phoenix

I never tryed companies like eBay, is it save?

Companies like Amazon and such should be relatively safe. Just watch out that you don't transfer credit card information unless it is SSL protected. If they screw up you can contact your credit card company for a refund.

E-Bay and such are based on trust. So have a look at the responses a seller has. If you see 10+ positives and no negatives you should be safe. There is no guarantee however. Personally I did not have any bad experiences over E-Bay besides that some people have been annoyed when a Money Order from Austria took up to 2 Months :(( Stupid Austrian Mail. Switched to registered airmail then and put the money into an envelope :p Less then 10 days that way usually and even cheaper (not really - well registered mail is insured up to ATS1000, but you may not send money - insured however). Did I say that I hate Austrian mail? ;)

If you the sums go up I'd suggest to use some kind of escrow service.

A final Tip for E-Bay: If in doubt, ask. Some sellers have a pretty nebulous way to describe items or selling procedures. Make sure you talk about the same thing before betting.

I'm from Austria too, and I bought all the WC-Novels I've got (and I got ALL of them!! :D Well, at least the ones that have been translated) at a local book store! In Vienna, in the Wollzeile, there's a store called "Morawa". I assume they still should have the novelization of the movie and "The price of freedom" available, but you can get those via amazon.de anyway...

Heart of the Tiger
who is glad to have bought all novels as soon as they were published ;)

Originally posted by Jetlag
Are you using the latest version of Acrobat Reader? Someone else had version 3 (I think) and every other letter was missing. He got the latest version and then it looked fine.

Thanks a lot, I got the latest version of Acrobat Reader and it looks fine now! :)

--Eder

... do you know if there are WC novels in book stores in austria? I never saw even one of them.

Of course! Morawa had "Die Bedrohung" and "Herz des Tiegers" in its stores, there I bought my first Wing Commander book, but the translation sucks, it's better to read the english original (It's the same with the Wing Commander Movie - and all other translated movies :) )

Irgendwie find ich es lustig mich mit einem Landsmann in Englisch zu unterhalten ;)

Originally posted by the__phoenix

Irgendwie find ich es lustig mich mit einem Landsmann in Englisch zu unterhalten ;)

Nicht nur du ;) Aber ich denk, es is den andern gegenüber fairer, deshalb ->
Where have you bought the english ones? Have you got all of them? Is there really such a great difference between the original and the translation??

Since there seem to be no plans from Bastei to publish the 2 still missing novels (Pilgrim truth and False Colours) in Germany, Austria etc. (I wrote many e-mails and didn't even get an answer!) I guess I will buy "False Colours" on the english bookstore of amazon.de. I can't wait any longer to read that book! *gg*

HAVE A NICE DAY
Heart of the Tiger

Originally posted by LeHah
Just when you guys thought you could get rid of me...

Half.com tends to have quite a few copies of End Run usually. Don't pay over $8 though, as I got a mint copy for that much 7 months ago.
Only half.com doesn't ship outside the US/Canade, which is useless for people in Austria or (like me) in the Netherlands.

Back