Electronic Gaming Monthly Stuffs their Ass in their Mouth

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
I'm tired right now so it's cut and paste. Anyway, I don't think the original poster could have said it any better.

Link

Electronic Gaming Monthly photochopped a picture of Russian soldiers holding photographs of their fallen comrades and used it in an article on an upcoming game.

One of the posters on the gunsnet forums is Russian and naturally took offense and pointed out what was going on.

Altered image:
f.jpg

Original image:
6673f2.jpg

After getting flak for committing such a tasteless act, do EGM and Ziff Davis immediately apologize?

No. Instead they send a cease and desist letter to the BBS.

Link

Apparently the legal department at ZD doesn't realize that one of the principal commandments of running a business is not to piss off your customer base. :roll:

This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard of in, like, a month. From reading the thread it's probably just a legalmachine fuck-up, but either way I expect (hope?) EGM will be about hearing this for a long, long time.

Wow.

"Hey, shut the fuck up about our being culturally offensive or we'll sue you."

How very uncouth.

The image itself doesn't make much sense either. Russian soldiers holding SOCOM boxes? Aside from screwing the pooch by doing something like that, what the hell were they thinking?

Obviously, they were not thinking.

Sides, there's enough SOCOM stuff out there already.

Just go visit your friendly Navy Recruiter, and they have SOCOM ads up for some reason or another...

If you're dumb enough to be offended by EGM, you're... really... really... dumb.

"Hey, shut the fuck up about our being culturally offensive or we'll sue you."

How very uncouth.

Meh, expecting any thing else is silly. Where's the logic? "If I contact people who've done something stupid and offensive, they'll be intelligent and polite!"

LeHah said:
If you're dumb enough to be offended by EGM, you're... really... really... dumb.

There must be a lotta dumb people out there then.

Bandit LOAF said:
Meh, expecting any thing else is silly. Where's the logic? "If I contact people who've done something stupid and offensive, they'll be intelligent and polite!"

Eh. Well, as was said, it's not exactly good form to go threatening customers that you've pissed off. Even if the guys at Gunsnet are in violation of a copyright law, I would have been a little softer about the cease and desist - and make sure to add an apology firsthand.

But then again, I'm not an employee of Ziff Davis.

While I do know that, collectively, WC fans have some (shall we say) eclectic accumulations of useless shit... err, data, I can't help but wonder why you would know that, LeHah.

Back