Elder Scrolls IV: The most revolutionary game since Doom

DOOM was revolutionary because of Deathmatch. It ushered in an era.

This will not be revolutionary, because Bethesda doesn't have the guys to pull that kind of a physics engine off properly. It'll happen, but I really DOUBT it's going to be anyone currently in the market. Ubisoft is the one people consider a candidate, but when do they do anything revolutionary?

There aren't really any GOOD developers left. A lot of the greats are moving on and retiring and we're getting big packs of no-talents to replace them. That's why I really support open-source development initiatives and would love to see more projects like Vega Strike.

I'm personally a huge Morrowind fan myself and could talk hours about it. I'm greatly anticipating the next release and have recently started a new game of Morrowind and I'm gonna play it all the way through and do all the faction and main quests for one last time. I'll probably play Bloodmoon second and finish with Tribunal.

Sorry I meant to write more on this last night but I was in a hurry and just dropping a line. Nor did I mean to just say I liked the game and that was all.

You've all made very excellent points about Morrowind. I can't say I've ever played Arena or Daggerfall, or even Ultima for that matter, so I can't compare the game to those. I think as far as relationships, economics, and dynamics of the game, those issues only really started to get on my nerves after I had played the game so long. But when I first played it, it stayed fresh for me for quite awhile and wasn't until I learned how to manipulate and take advantage of the economics, leveling up, and enchanting that the game first started to lose its thrill.

And obviously when I replay the game now and I want to advance in the ranks quickly it is indeed annoying like Eder said how you'd have to go all the way on the other side of the map just to get a cup. And lots of quests were just like that where you'd have to fetch something and the reward for it was hardly worth it (except when you knew you had to do it to advance in rank).

And it does seem great at first how you can literally do anything you want anytime. But they made so much open-ended possibilites that they never even close back up. To reinterate on what Quarto was saying, how you could kill a whole town pay the fine and then everything was okay again. Or what I thought was funny is how I could pick the lock on the door of one of the treasuries and all I'd have to do is pay a 5 dollar fine. Then they'd just stand around like it never happened when really you think they would at least automatically kick you out of the room temporarily for trying to rob it. Or anything at all except just pay a little fine.

The biggest appeal of Morrowind to me is the story as a whole. The Great Houses, the Empire, the Tribunal and the Aedra and Daedra. There's so much interesting main story as well as background story to enjoy. If you like games with engrossing storylines. It does however require a stretch of the imagination to see where you fit in since it all goes down in the end the exact same way. It's really a shame you can't choose to side with Dagoth Ur in the end. And then like return to Vivec with him and your new army and see everything around you change based on those decisions. That's what was so great about WC3 and WC4 is that decisions you made truly did affect the ending of the game. Just the idea of having a losing path and a winning path makes a huge difference in appeal I think.

I do believe for the most part like Fatcat said that Bethesda are mostly on the mark with their games. And like Indoril Nerevar said, that it will set a good example for the people involved in Fable. Oblivion promises a lot and I think they will follow through pretty well.

Whether or not it's revolutionary, I think it's just how you sort of define the word in relation to the game. Since I do believe in many ways Morrowind was quite revolutionary and in other ways, it's the same old crap.

Edfilho said:
Well, I think doom was pretty revolutionary. The graphical engine was far more complex than simply Wolf3d with different colors. There's a looong list of improvements. And it had multiplayer. If quake and Duke3d were so successful, it's because lot's of people had already played a lot of Doom Deathmatch. The Shareware deal was nice too, but lots of games did that before.

Doom was revolutionary in its time. Anyone playing PC games back then who was more than 15 years old will tell you that today. I played several FPS during that era (Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Corridor 7, Wolf 3D) and Doom had them all beat, hands down, absolutely no contest. I was 26 or so when I plunked down my $5 for the Shareware copy at Electronics Boutique, and I was as floored by Doom as I was by anything I saw coming from Origin at that time- and that is saying a lot. The various weapons and numerous enemies the game offered, the complexity of the puzzles, the teleporters, the cheat codes, the map, cooperative play and Death Match- wow!

Doom's sound was also pretty revolutionary in its day. I was amazed at the difference when I added a Sound Blaster and speakers to my 386 versus listenting to everything over a PC speaker.

A friend of mine at the time was the DIS of a local mattress wholesaler. He'd invite 2 or 3 of us over to his office after they closed on Saturday nights and we would play cooperatively and/or Death Match for hours on their network. That was truly unique back then- so cool watching your buddy from across a room using the Plasma Rifle to fight it out with a Hell Knight. Or, planning a strategy before the three or four of you entered an area full of enemies. Even better was finding the Rocket Launcher early in Death Match and hiding in a corner somewhere, waiting for your buddy to come sprinting into a room so you could paste him against a wall. Man, those were good times!

Shipgate said:
You've all made very excellent points about Morrowind. I can't say I've ever played Arena or Daggerfall, or even Ultima for that matter, so I can't compare the game to those. I think as far as relationships, economics, and dynamics of the game, those issues only really started to get on my nerves after I had played the game so long. But when I first played it, it stayed fresh for me for quite awhile and wasn't until I learned how to manipulate and take advantage of the economics, leveling up, and enchanting that the game first started to lose its thrill.
Oh, that's a given - you think I even stopped to think about what could be wrong with the game before hitting 200 hours of play or so? :p

Shipgate said:
The biggest appeal of Morrowind to me is the story as a whole. The Great Houses, the Empire, the Tribunal and the Aedra and Daedra. There's so much interesting main story as well as background story to enjoy.
Morrowind has the best setting ever. One of the things that me and Quarto like to bitch about on ICQ is how all those people who post on the Elder Scrolls forums saying "PLZ NO GIANT BUGS OR SHROOMS IN OBLIVION!!!" (as well as the ones who release Morrowind add-ons consisting of rabbits, castles, and other generic fantasy RPG crap) are completely missing the point of one of the best things about the damn game, which is the uniqueness of it all.

Yup, Morrowind was pretty much the only RPG game I've seen in the last few years to do something original in terms of setting. And if there's one thing I'm most nervous about when it comes to Oblivion, it's not the removal of crossbows and other such things that people bitch about at Bethesda's forums - it's the fact that the screenshots indicate we're back to bog-standard fantasy. Sure, it all looks magnificent... but if I want to see a huge gothic cathedral, I can just go outside and take a walk to the city centre :p.

Fatcat said:
Well said.

I have faith in Bethesda, they've alwayds been mostly on the mark with their games. I don't think they'll pull a Daikatana on us.

They one the licenses to do "Terminator" games. Pretty good ones at the time, IMO. I held out some hope that they would do at least one more after the release of T3, but alas, they never did.
I never knew why; if the licenses expired or they just lost interest.

Back