Edit save game files?

darkhelmet46

Spaceman
Hey I just installed Privateer Gemini Gold the other day (awesome btw), and I seem to remember that with the original game, you could open the save game file in a Hex editor, and give yourself money by changing the values.

I have 30,438 in cash, converted that to hex 76 E6, and inverted it according to the instructions from the original Privateer to E6 76, and searched for that string in the hex editor but nothing comes up.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks!

Hex

HHMMmmm!
Darkhelmet, I believe you are cooking the books ;-}, If the "Tax Dept" finds out
your init up to your Knackers!

Now, where did I put that Phone Number?.

Privateer13

Is it Gemni Gold or Privateer Remake that the Demon is flyable? I remember those being extremely cheap and approaching broken-powerful. That might be a good place to start.

Or scouting missions with the best armor/engine/AB you can afford.

So... no?

I don't imagine Gemini Gold uses the same save-game format as the original Privateer. You will need to figure out how Gemini Gold saves the money values before you can use the hex editor.

<please bear in mind it's several years since I last loaded up PGG, PR or Vega Strike>

To OP:
Both Gemini Gold & Remake were based on the Vega Strike engine. PGG AFAIK uses a heavily modified version, but still similar. Given that, the player save should be a simple text editable file somewhere in the mix- no hex editing needed.

For more detail on the save file, you should be able to check the Vega Strike forums.

Is it Gemni Gold or Privateer Remake that the Demon is flyable? I remember those being extremely cheap and approaching broken-powerful. That might be a good place to start.

PGG is the 'faithful' remake, so will only have the original ships. Privateer Remake was the ... more open version... and I believe it's that one that has the wider ship access.

Counting the Quids

Darkhelmet,
Your teaching me bad habits, I went into the "Save Files" last night and wacked
in another 250000 Units of Squids to help me along!.
Works well,
Privateer13.

Darkhelmet,
Your teaching me bad habits, I went into the "Save Files" last night and wacked
in another 250000 Units of Squids to help me along!.
Works well,
Privateer13.

Haha, glad I could help! Now, can you tell me how you did it? I'm lazy. :D

Solution to editing Save Game file

Go to the directory where you have PGG installed. For me, that's C:\Program Files\Privateer. Then navigate to .privgold100\save\ directory below that. Examining the directory you will see that each file is the name of a save game in the game.

These are plain text files. Open the one you want up in a text editor, and look at the very first line. First thing in there is your location. It will be something like Gemini/Troy, or Gemini/Perry, etc., giving the sector/system you saved the game in. This is followed by "^", and between the ^ and the . is the amount of money you have. If you have 13476 in money, then change the 13476 to 10000000, and you'll then have 10 million to work with. Overkill, I know, but just an example.

Lots of other things you can edit here as well. But you need to be careful unless you know what you're doing, as you can render the game unplayable very quickly.

ship

Can you beef up shields or turn on invulnerable from here?

Back