[EDIT: Confirmed - Date is BOGUS] DVD nov 18th? what?

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
If this is true I find it a little disturbing actually... as in, what are the Weinsteins Smoking? News has come to me by way of DreadCentral that Amazon has listed a region 1 Outlander DVD for presale with a supposed release date of November 18th.

Now first I must say advance release dates like this are subject to change, but if this is indeed a true release date for the DVD, is there a day and Date blu-ray? Does this somehow coincide with a limited theatrical release anywhere? Where's the official press release regarding the film's release date? I realize that the Weinsteins may not have the funds to properly promote the movie anyway, but I fail to see how that justifies not giving the movie a chance, not unlike the Weinstein Company's other recent "engineered flops." (For example, does a 30mil feature only making $50000 at the box office count as a flop if they only ever showed it in two theaters?). Grrrrrrrrrr! On a positive note, I'll be posting another round up containing some very positive reviews of the flick from the first round of Germany's Fantasy film fest later this evening.

DAMN!!

This just makes me sick to my stomach!! Why would they have put all that money, blood, sweat, tears, hard work, devotion, and years into this production if they were just going to treat it like another straight-to-dvd 'Sci-Fi-Channel Original'?? This kind of film deserves so much better and to be viewed on the BIG screen, but I guess we'll never get that experience now huh?? :mad::(

I have some good news: Got word from one of the films producers. The Weinstein Company is at the very least contractually obligated to a limited Theatrical release for Outlander.

However, the Weinstein Co. has dumped movies onto only TWO screens in the past to fulfil contractual obligations... so wait and see I guess. Spread the word that you want to see this in theaters.

I don't have any info on the accuracy of Amazon's DVD date yet though.

Can you suggest some practical ways to do this?

I haven't had a lot of luck tracking down email addresses for the weinsteins. The one's I have don't get answered.

I don't want to run some kind of campaing but I'll gladly let people know if someone else does. SOmething you could try is talking/emailing your local theater chain and express interest in seeing the film... After all they're direct in line to get your movie ticket cash.

i'm not surprised of this potential move by the weinsteins. once i heard they bought the rights i predicted this would happen and it seems to be coming true. they are pathetic studio heads with their noses up the asses of everyone and anyone they can snuggle up with. this movie would make money if they would just release it to the public. its unlike any movie they normally release, which usually fails anyways, so why not give this one a shot. hopefully it does great business throughout the rest of the world, which will truly showcase the stupidity of this potential move by the weinsteins.

i'm not surprised of this potential move by the weinsteins. once i heard they bought the rights i predicted this would happen and it seems to be coming true. they are pathetic studio heads with their noses up the asses of everyone and anyone they can snuggle up with. this movie would make money if they would just release it to the public. its unlike any movie they normally release, which usually fails anyways, so why not give this one a shot. hopefully it does great business throughout the rest of the world, which will truly showcase the stupidity of this potential move by the weinsteins.

Partly I think they're trying to get back the reputation Miramax had of getting oscar nods. It's kind of stupid but basically it seems like they don't want to put money behind anything they either don't personally like or don't think will get critical aclaim.

DVD RELEASE -UNTRUE

FYI - officially from TWC - there is NO release date for the movie on DVD. That still leaves open the possibility of a reasonable distribution.

Someone mentioned making voices heard to get a release. If you go to their website at http://www.weinsteinco.com/, you have the option to join. I suspect you can then access publicity materials and the Contact Us button, but I can't be sure. Worth a try, though

FYI - officially from TWC - there is NO release date for the movie on DVD. That still leaves open the possibility of a reasonable distribution.

Someone mentioned making voices heard to get a release. If you go to their website at http://www.weinsteinco.com/, you have the option to join. I suspect you can then access publicity materials and the Contact Us button, but I can't be sure. Worth a try, though

Thanks! I put up an update about this. Hopefully not too much damage has been done by all the talk around the net declaring it Direct to DVD.

I tried signing up under the 'join' link and nearest I can tell is that I only signed up to receieve a newsletter...

Back