Echo War first look (opinions welcome)

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
Here's a diagram of one of the fighter's to come out of what is known, in the story, as The Repleetah Project.
The F/A-11 Crusader Heavy Fighter:
FA11%20Crusader.jpg

I haven't fleshed out all of the specs yet. There are three cannons on each side of the bird with two missile ports to each side, stacked. Gun types are still up in the air at the moment.
Horizontally vectored engines are mounted atop and below the fuselage. Two decoy launchers are built into the aft fuselage, between the engine pods.
It's designed with a similar philosophy as the Thunderbolt and Raptor, albeit no torpedo mount. It's a heavy, slow, gunship that can turn on a dime.;)
I'll admit the image isn't great but it's the best I can churn out on my own, lacking 3D art skills and everything. I've tried modeling the ships in a 3D rendering program but the texturing is a bit of a problem. I could try and crank out a 3000 poly count ship model with all the little nooks and crannies modeled and all the textures properly applied. But that would take more time than I have available to commit to this side of the story.
So this is how the technical schematics will look on the site, but they are designed to fit in with the site motif.
If anybody wants to take a crack at rendering the designs I'm generating feel free, I would welcome any help offered. I just don't have the time to render them on my own.

In space you really don't need wings to fly and there was originally plans for atmospheric missions in Prophecy, which is the time period the story takes place, but they were cut out. I don't know if that would have affected the design of the player's ships but I'm operating under the assumption that the ships would have a system that would allow them to fly atmospheric without traditional wings.
In this context the wings are little more than platforms to carry weapons stores that could not be mounted inside the existing bays, like tracker MIRVs or free fall bombs. The verticle stabilizers and canards are there to take some of the load off of the avionics system that provides lift.

As for the guns how does this sound:
2x Tachyon cannons in the nose
1x Mass Driver cannon in each side pod
1x Laser cannon in each wing root.

Think it's overkill, not enough, or just right?

Considering that the story takes place in WCP times, the armament seems to be just right, although WCP Armaments always appeared to me to be an overkill. Maybe take away those two laserrs. 2 tachyon/2massdriver is really enough to kick some serious butt.

Back