Ebay WC Kilrathi Saga worth this much??

Those are definitely on the higher side, but many copies of the Kilrathi Saga have been sold between that range. In the last year, the price of KS has dropped substantially since methods to play the cheaper DOS versions in Windows have become a lot easier.

Edfilho said:
they're definitely not evil, but they definitely don't know how to work ebay.

Getting $300 for your video game is knowing *exactly* how to work ebay.

But seriously, it's not the sellers fault that demand is so high. If people weren't bidding Kilrathi Saga up to hundreds of dollars, no one would sell it for that much.

Bandit LOAF said:
But seriously, it's not the sellers fault that demand is so high. If people weren't bidding Kilrathi Saga up to hundreds of dollars, no one would sell it for that much.

This is the truth.

It's best to sit around on Ebay and wait for a deal to pop up. You know how I got my hands on a copy of KS? I bought someone's entire WC collection for $300. Sure, I got my third copy of WC4, another copy of WC3 and Prophecy - but I don't think anyone should ever have a reason to complain when they buy great games. (Not to mention, I also got my hands on a UK copy of Privateer 2)

I was too young and naive to buy the Kilrathi Saga when it came out, because there was no way it would have worked on my computer back then. I've regretted that decision ever since though, because within two years I did have a computer capable of running it and by then it was gone. So now when I want a game I can't run I buy it anyway and patiently wait a few years until I upgrade.

Thanks to technology though I'm beginning to doubt I'll need the KS. I have WC1 & 2 running perfectly on DOSBox and will be purchasing III and IV sometime soon (I only own the Playstation versions of those two).

I hope to unload my copy of the Kilrathi Saga before EA wises up and realizes that it would make a killing with another C&C: The First Decade style release for Wing Commander.

But then again, that would mean a new Wing Commander game was on the horizon, and I really wouldn't care! Haha.

Raul2106 said:
Hopefully the games will get re-released by EA and put these ebayers out of business.

The game did get its rerelease a year or so after the initial run. It wasn't super popular, and the game got a few bugs in the conversion to Windows 95. It would take some tweaking to smooth this for a modern release, so it's probably easier from EA's point of view to do something like release them on the GameTap service.

Alternately, the DOS WC games are much much cheaper than Kilrathi Saga, and they actually run a bit better in DOSBox on new computers than KS does.

Sheeesh I just solve that problem of running old games buy using a KVM switch and having several computers built to running the games I like , like a old 486 to run my dos games and a Tbird Slot A system to run my Win98SE games . Now t ofind those games on CD (Thank god for Ebay and $10 games)

Dosbox is pretty good for most, if not all, DOS games. I'd rather play Privateer and Ultima7 on dosbox than on an older dos/win98 machine, mainly because of the memory config hell.

There is a gap, though... some Windows 95 games like MechWarrior 2 Titanium Edition just don't run on Windows XP. I hope someone does a patch for that, because setting up a win9x box is kinda annoying.

Delance said:
Who'd say that DOS games would end up being more compatible than Win95 ones.

It would have been a reasonable guess -- the older something is, the more ability we have to emulate it. The information behind how a system works filters out to the public, the demand for emulating it increases and the hardware needed to run such a program becomes available.

I have no doubt that there will be increasingly good Windows 95 emulators at some point in the future.

Back