Eagle One discussion

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
I didn't know the guy past his reputation from people who were and continue to be on #Wing-Commander and I hope time is kinder to him than history has been.

The old saying is "A man can be judged by the company that he keeps."

If thats the case, he didn't die soon enough.

Talking to the two above me, you sirs, are scum, and sum up the reasons people like you are still banned from such a good channel.

Did you hear me? SCUM!

Scum indeed

I have to agree with Skyfox

Scum would be to kind in my honest opinion. All we can hope for is that those two will be banned from this forum. I have no respect for them what so ever.

They should be under parental supersvision from now on, since the obiously aren't old enough to make decision of their own. I'm not evne gonna bother replying after this since I'm not gonna sink that low.

LOAF and administrators, if you are a good administrators I suggest you remove those post now. Else you are no better then Frosty and Lehah.

He will be missed

I have only known Eag for the last two years but I have never met a man so kind and goodhearted. He was a true inspiration in #WC and I am very proud that he was my friend. He was a great man and I hope he is happy wherever he is now, enjoying a good cuppa of course!

To Frosty and LeHah who posted above, you two should learn to show some respect. I don't care if you didn't like him, or whatever silly arguement may have gone on in the past. NOTHING is that bad that you have to write this kind of stuff. Childish, immature and coldhearted. But most of all sad.

Talking to the two above me, you sirs, are scum, and sum up the
reasons people like you are still banned from such a good
channel.

That was exactly the problem with Eagle, too. Well, one of many problems. I was a "person like me" instead of a person to him. Because I was friends with LOAF and Chris and a bunch of other intelligent and kind people (friendships that continue to this day), I was removed from the channel without a word. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear at his death; in so far as I can tell, it was overdue.

So when I say I didn't know Eagle-1, it wasn't for lack of trying. I was a young, excited kid who loved Wing Commander and the internet and finally meeting people with the same interests I had. I'm sure I was annoying: the old gang digs out logs every once in a while that proves it... but like everyone else here I didn't deserve to be removed from existence because of an old man's jealousy.

As a result, I'll tell you who I did know: LOAF. He's one of my best friends and is one of the nicest guys in the world. He's exactly none of the things Eagle pretended to be. He's not my dad, he's not some flawless superman who will pretend he never makes mistakes... he's just a good guy. We've had some amazing adventures over the years, which I guess is thanks to Eagle. So, thanks, buddy, I'm still glad you died.

I know LOAF suffered incredibly over all this for many years. He felt bad about going against Eagle the minute the asshole started this mess... and I know what he won't want anyone revealing but I will anyway, (because unlike Eagle he'll forgive me): every few months his conscience would bother him so much that he would go to the BeyondIRC to apologize to Eagle and try to talk to his old friend.

Now, he didn't do anything wrong in the first place--Eagle wrongly blamed LOAF and Chris for the whole Neil Young fiasco and never spoke to them again--but he was so haunted by the suggestion that just maybe the whole thing was a misunderstanding that it would eat him up inside. I'd tell him the truth: that it was crap, Eagle was an asshole and he should get on with his life and enjoy what he built... obvious stuff. But he suffered. After he'd go and msg Eagle, we'd hear from whatever two-timer we knew that LOAF's latest IP had been added to the ban list. It absolutely crushed him. I'm sure 'Mr. Howard' enjoyed it.

So here he is being a good person and trying to treat the man who made him suffer all that time with some dignity in spite of the nothing Eagle ever did for him... all while he's going through some personal crisises that we won't talk about... and we've got a bunch of old timey jerks taking advantage of the situation for their own messages? Please. Hellcat V thinks we should all work together? Funny, that's the opposite of Eagle's message. Akkbar just happened to be reading the CIC for the first time in years? I've got a bridge for sale and I'll tell you where to shove it. If you're not a regular poster, you can shove it - I don't know you and I like you exactly as much.

So I'm going to be as honest as possible because I know my friends - the people who made this brilliant community - will appreciate it. Eagle shouldn't be remembered. He was a stupid made up character, a 2D image who would turn and bite you if you fell out of line. If you weren't a perfect little soldier. I experienced it and people who I like far more than myself experienced it a lot worse. If there's a hell to go to, I know they have a special place reserved.

To Frosty and LeHah who posted above, you two should learn to show some respect. I don't care if you didn't like him, or whatever silly arguement may have gone on in the past. NOTHING is that bad that you have to write this kind of stuff. Childish, immature and coldhearted. But most of all sad.

Kindly, don't go into other people's houses making demands with empty threats.

That said, I was around for the end days of Home Sector. While I couldn't appreciate it at that time, I was around for some of the drama and I'm aware of Eagle's stellar rep for talking shit behind people's back, taking offense to things that he had no reason to and blocking people from logging into IRC channels because of his own lying, timid reasoning.

As for the people that spring up in his defense - where the fuck have you been? You logged onto a (terrible) Wing Commander channel but had nothing to do with the largest WC community on the internet? You weren't even allowed to mention the CIC without facing a channel ban. This is the person you want to defend? This low-browed, prognathous jawed jerkoff?

What has he given this community? You? Thats no defense, you're not part of here and you showed up to give your thoughts on someone who succeeded in making the internet a more segregated, less loving place.

This thread is turning into an upward battle against those that are born in the hells beneath Hell. I hope you all find your end in a spectacular fashion fitting your personalities, like medication overdose and bad blood transfusions.

Die in a fire. Die of AIDS. Just die.

We take a moment of silence after a death for a reason.

There is a time to spout off your gripes about those who've passed, but this isn't it, nor the place. Eagle didn't murder anyone, or slaughter children. There's no good reason to take this as an opportunity to kick a man while he's down, in the worst irony of the term.

He lived, and was a Wing Commander fan, and that's what we are honoring here. Nobody should be dismissed, forgotten, or have their grave stomped on because of a group in an online community he may or may not have alienated.

Screw your head on straight. This is inappropriate.

It's funny that you're touting LOAF's fall-out with Eagle as justification, yet he is the one memorializing him. There are bigger things in life, and Eagle's has ended. Keep it to yourselves.

Reversing that statement is hardly valid.

In the interest of not dignifying the negative direction this thread has taken, this is my last post in response to inflammatory remarks.

Eagle is gone, do you really need to attack him anymore? Congratulations, you outlived him, you won.

The issue is finally settled, do we really need to attack each other over something that none of us are responsible for?

I'm speaking to both sides.

I don't want to come off like someone lecturing everyone, but I feel that the attacks on Eagle were inappropriate, as are the posts making demands and calling people names.

The man meant a lot to a lot of people, and there are strong emotions that surround him. We should make the best of his passing by following LOAF's lead and trying to make peace.

I don't want to come off like someone lecturing everyone, but I feel that the attacks on Eagle were inappropriate, as are the posts making demands and calling people names.

No offense to you and all offense to those who would take offense to this - but for all the talk about "mourning" and "memorial", the negative posts left in this thread are as much his legacy as anything positive one might have to say. One cannot gleam over the terrible, terrible things he did to his friends simply because it makes *you* uncomfortable or *you* don't want to hear it.

When I was growing up, back in the Stone Age, my mom taught me to not say anything, if I had nothing nice to say.

It didn't quite catch with me, but other things she did teach me did lead me to consider things like appropriateness.

Hence this thread, split off of the memorial thread in the News forum.

Wow. I'm impressed. And I've learned some history.

Oh well, sorry the man died, whatever his failures may have been.

Back