EA-Origin relationship

Hobbie

Spaceman
I was wondering about when, how, and why Origin sold out to EA. I guess they made an offer Origin couldn't refuse. But I am curious about the details involving their buyout.

I don't know WHY they did it, but I'm glad they did, otherwise WCIII and WCIV would most likely be NOTHING compared to themselves in EA's hands :)

But now theres no progress in future WC games. Last WC game we had was like what, 2 years ago? All Origin depends on right now is Ultima Online.

But look at it now, EA is already making enough for Origin to start another WC project. It was all fine and dandy back when EA let Origin made WC3,4,P continued the series. But as of now, we dont really know what Origin has in store for the WC universe or any at all.

Yes but it depends on how a company invests. Generally, if a corporation can't get a better return than the average cost of their debt and equity (which generally is quite high, 10% or higher), they won't support that project.

Obviously, when any money that goes into UO creates a large return, you wouldn't divert any money into something that gives a lesser return. These people are interested only in profits.

Or something that doesn't give a return. Space sim games don't sell well these days, wcp was the last good space sim to sell really good. Maybe I-war, I dunno, did so too, but freespace 2, and excellent game sold very disapointingly. Also, I believe wc3 was made before EA bought Origin.

*Not* correct... when you start up WC3, you'll notice the large "AN ELECTRONIC ARTS COMPANY" under the Origin logo. Origin could *never* independantly afford a four million dollar game... <G>

(EA bought out Origin during WC2 Deluxe, in game terms.)

Yeah I remember when I bought Privateer and it had an EA logo on it. I thought something was weird...

I also had the strangest feeling of impending doom for Origin. Guess I wasn't too far off hey?

You can tell when EA bought Origin because the UPC stickers on the boxes started including the EA catalogue numbers for the games.

Back