EA Announces C&C First Decade (November 6, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Electronic Arts has announced a special Command & Conquer series anthology. C&C: The First Decade is scheduled to be released in February 2006. There have been other packs of C&C games, but this one is a grand compilation spanning almost everything from 1995's Command & Conquer to 2003's Zero Hour. Each primary chapter's expansion pack is included, bringing the total to twelve titles. The series' first person shooter, Renegade, is also present, but the multiplayer-only Sole Survivor Online is not. GameSpot has more details in an interview with EALA's creative vice president.

The C&C series paralleled Wing Commander as one of the few successful video-heavy franchises to thrive in the mid 1990s. The franchise now ranks as the fourth best selling PC series of all time. The games' creators, Westwood Studios, were acquired by EA and consolidated in Los Angeles with the Origin properties several years ago. It's good news that EA is willing to dig back into its archives to rerelease software that it acquired in this way. The company is also launching a search for the world's most enthusiastic C&C fans for a special feature in the pack's bonus DVD.

--
Original update published on November 6, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. A Wing Commander: the first ten years (considering its been over five since secret ops) edition set would be cool. I'd be first in line to buy that. Especialy if it has a bonus DVD... lets all hope this is a signal of EA's commitment to some of its older intelectual properties.

A release like that could easily usher in a greater public awareness of WC in general and of course how good a space-sim can be. I could see Writting in some kind of dosbox-like emulator as opposed to EA trying to rewrite all the titles for XP though.... Imagine it...

WC1
WC1-SM1
WC1-SM2
WC2
WC2-SO1
WC2-SO2
WC: Academy
WC: Armada
WC: Privateer
WC: Privateer- Righteous Fire
SWC (An XP port or the mac or 3d0 version would be a neat inclusion)
WC3... (A PC version playable in original form or also a PC version that parallels the psx/3do version with extra videos and some different missions would be neat... kind of like those special ed. DVDs with original theatrical version and a new special cut)
WC4
Privateer 2: The Darkeningh
WC: Prophecy
Secret Ops

The Cartoon and movies could be included as bonus DVDs.... or even the CCG or novels but I'd doubt they would include the last two .. three even as there would probably be licensing issues with Fox, the ccg company and whoever, if anyone, owns the rights to WCA-TV (I presume USA still does even though they arent in the cartoon buisness anymore) That would be an amazing package. Mind you it's pretty neat to just look at that list of products

I'm not sure why Renegade got such a bad rap. I've played it extensively and found it rather enjoyable, though some of the single player levels are a bit harsh. To many objectives, to long to play through.

The multiplayer was a lot of fun though, especially at LAN Parties. Having some strategy to the FPS shooter part of the game is fun. Blowing up differant buildings has differant affects on the game. It's nice. But definatly upstaged by games like SW Battlefront and Battlefield 1942.

Back