Duran

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Was playing Brood Wars the other day and I did that secret mission where Zeratul discovers the Protoss\Zerg hybrid, and I really got thinking who was Duran?

I had this theory maybe he was some evil renegade Xel Naga in disguise that decided just to shake things up a bit by planting those seeds on a bunch of different planets. And maybe he had a deep-seated hatred for both Protoss and Zerg.

I figured that's what Starcraft 2 was going to be all about. But there are still no plans apparently for a Starcraft 2 since Ghost is not considered a sequel but more of a parallel game.

The name Duran was from Barbarella - the scientist who made the positronic ray. This same source was where the band Duran Duran got their name.

I have always imagined Duran was part of some kind of "lesser" ancient race that wanted to have some fun when the Xel Naga was gone. After all, i dont think the Xel Naga would use human mercenaries. Just look at what their temple did to the poor zerg...

I don't think they would use humans that way either. That's why I suspect that Duran was never human to begin with. That he was always in disguise waiting for just the right moment to do what he was planning.

To hijack this thread a bit, which races do you like to play in Starcraft/Brood War? I like the Terrans best, also like the Protoss, and really, really don't like the Zerg. I ended up never making it through the last mission of Brood War because it was so hard and I didn't feel like trying any more because it was Zerg. (I was just thinking of this a minute ago because I was having similar frustration with the last mission in WC2-SO1, and ended up using cheats to destroy the fighter cover so I didn't have to keep wading through it to get to the torpedo runs.

Before Brood Wars, I didn't like the Terrans very much. They were pretty good once you had a ton of units built, but before then it was hard to protect yourself from an early assault. But obviously those medics were a huge bonus. But I didn't care much for the Valkyries.

The biggest reason I liked the Zerg was just for their ability to regenerate. It was so convenient to not have to repair units after engaging a few turrets or something. And for how effective the Hydralisks were, they were pretty cheap too! And you can't beat that Zergling rush attack.

The Protoss were especially great once Brood Wars came out. Against the computer, it was so easy to fight Terrans with the Dark Templar. You could keep attacking bases as long as you didn't kill units or Bunkers then they didn't scan you. So each time they expanded, I'd just send about four DT's. to keep attacking their command centers. And the Corsairs were excellent when attacking a base.

I think I honestly like all three races just as much though. It just depends on who I'm in the mood for. They did a pretty good job at making them all pretty balanced against one another.

Too bad you couldn't play the Xel Naga or something. Just like I wanted to play the Burning Legion in Warcraft.

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
Just like that river twisting through a dusty land

Back