dosbox wing commander prophecy error

U

Unregistered

I keep getting an error that says "this program can not be run in dos mode" when I try to run prophecy in dosbox. Man I'm a complete idiot when it comes to dos. I built the computer I'm using but I can't do this! First I couldn't get prophecy to install under dos so I just installed it under windows and tried to run it in dos mode. No luck. I get the above error message. In dosbox I can get to the cd rom but no further. It won't run the launcher or install nothing. That's why I installed under windows but it would appear that unless I install it under dosbox then it won't run in dosbox. I've read every tutorial I can find but I'm still stuck. I find myself somewhat humbled.

Wing Commander Prophecy wasn't a DOS game--it as for Windows 95. You should be able to install and play it by running the game in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

Wing Commander Prophecy wasn't a DOS game--it as for Windows 95. You should be able to install and play it by running the game in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

I'm running windows 7 there is no windows 98 or any other compatibility mode. At least not for home premium. You have to have windows 7 ultimate or pro and then it is windows xp compatibility nothing sooner. Here's what I did. My wife and I have had troubles running other games as well. Windows once recommended running as an administrator. So I tried that on WCP. You just right click on the short cut and select run as administrator. Presto it works. No video skip issues or anything. I just figured since win95 and 98 were dos based Operating systems that dos would work to run WCP. Guess not. At least I have it working.

Good job. I imagine a lot of older software (not just games) tend to just expect administrator privileges for installation.

I just figured since win95 and 98 were dos based Operating systems that dos would work to run WCP. Guess not. At least I have it working.

Yeah, Windows-native programs even predate that. With Windows 95/98, that was the OS with no underlying DOS, so it's pretty common. In the case of OriginFX though, which was designed for Windows 3.1, you can only run it in Windows after loading Windows from DOS.

Back