Dosbox config?

ABC

Spaceman
Dosbox config? Resolved! :)

Im trying to play WC3,i downloaded and copied files to 4 cd's
When i run from cd the installation (config) runs at the moment the sfx dont work only the music.
I set the path for savefiles ect.
Try to run it but all the colours are distorted and everything blocky,so;
I downloaded installed dosbox....Mounted the cd...typed in WC3 (the exe file) but it cant load it???
The other and biggest problem im haveing is "where the hell is the DOSBOX config file??????????
Ive looked in the directory where dosbox is installed & the directory where the Hard drive installations of the 4 disks in a deirectory is and yes ive also checked each directory?

I just want to play this game;i did have the original disks of this and wing commander 4 but lost them long time ago.
It really damn well annoys me that i have to constantly upgrade my computer for new games new hardware ect ect & the old stuff no-longer woirks & the producers of the proiducts (in this case now owned by the megacorp E.A.) dont give a ..and will not support any old preoducts of theirs or of corps they took over.

So can anyone please help me?:D:D

fixed :)

ok.i found it by looking at the 1 box you will see the directory for "dosbox"
not the directory you instaled to but where it automatically chooises for the config file: it will be in documents& settings/local settings/application data/dosbox

this are the changes i had to make and heres explanation of them
;[autoexec]
;mount c c:\wc3 ;this mounts your c drive
;mount E E:\ -t cdrom ;this mounts your cd-rom drive
;mount F F:\games\wing\disk_1 ;this mounts your(my game directory)
;E: ;changes the commandline path to "E"
;wc3 ;executes the game config/installation

:::::::::::::Note.........I also had the 4 disks (cd rom) You can get the disk filles to copyt to cd's with a torrent file::::::hopefully you wont need to have them all stored on 4 disks.idk i only just got it to work,and wanted to share it with all who love this game,but have difficulty running it;asap

i had to play about with the brilliant code provided from this site on annother link with an additional line and slight modifications to last few lines.

copy this code and paste it to bottom of the "dosbox.cofig" file & all should be fine :)

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768
output=overlay
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=64

[render]
frameskip=1
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=30000
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=false

[modem]
modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]
directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c c:\wc3
mount E E:\ -t cdrom
mount F F:\games\wing\disk_1
E:
wc3

It really damn well annoys me that i have to constantly upgrade my computer for new games new hardware ect ect & the old stuff no-longer woirks & the producers of the proiducts (in this case now owned by the megacorp E.A.) dont give a ..and will not support any old preoducts of theirs or of corps they took over.

Electronic Arts saved Origin when they bought the company in 1992. Games like Wing Commander 3 were funded by and made possible with the money that "megacorp EA" brought. There's kind of a reasonable limit on how long software can be supported, especially with all the changes technology brings. I don't expect any company to have DOS experts on hand to keep constantly updating games from the early 90s that most people (including you, admittedly) have long since lost.

I know this is going to be an awkward and off topic first post, so please forgive me, but I was thinking about just this sort of thing today, Chris. I happen to own WC 1-3 (the ones I liked), plus the secret missions 1 & 2 for WC1, but a friend of mine doesn't own any of them. Rather, he remembers playing them with me on my computer when we were kids and we both still lived in California (I live in Oklahoma now). I can only still play the games myself because I am an avid vintage PC person, and have two old computers here in the house that I maintain and use specifically for vintage gaming. The computer I used to play the games on never survived, but the ones I own now are the ones I play 99% of my old games on. One runs Windows XP with Dos Box, and that's where I play my Wing Commander 1 &2 plus Secret Missions, etc.

He recently found himself wanting to show the games to his son, so his kid could play the games of our youth and have fun, but his computer does not have a 3.5" floppy drive, much less a 5 1.4". I guess he didn't want to buy them on ebay or Amazon, so I zipped the files of mine up and sent him WC1 and the secret missions.

I ended up thinking about it, and I thought: well, these products are long past their sale dates, so are we really taking any monies from anyone by just zipping the games back and forth so he and his son could play? I figured that any sales of the games now are all made at re-sellers and online sites like Amazon and eBay (which are also just re-sellers), so none of the monies transacted for the games actually goes to EA anymore. In other words, I just figured that the time for the owners to make money on the games has long since passed.

What else could/should I have done? Said: "Sorry, Joe. No can do. Software piracy and all that. Best of luck to you, though"?

I know this is going to be an awkward and off topic first post, so please forgive me, but I was thinking about just this sort of thing today, Chris. I happen to own WC 1-3 (the ones I liked), plus the secret missions 1 & 2 for WC1, but a friend of mine doesn't own any of them. Rather, he remembers playing them with me on my computer when we were kids and we both still lived in California (I live in Oklahoma now). I can only still play the games myself because I am an avid vintage PC person, and have two old computers here in the house that I maintain and use specifically for vintage gaming. The computer I used to play the games on never survived, but the ones I own now are the ones I play 99% of my old games on. One runs Windows XP with Dos Box, and that's where I play my Wing Commander 1 &2 plus Secret Missions, etc.

He recently found himself wanting to show the games to his son, so his kid could play the games of our youth and have fun, but his computer does not have a 3.5" floppy drive, much less a 5 1.4". I guess he didn't want to buy them on ebay or Amazon, so I zipped the files of mine up and sent him WC1 and the secret missions.

I ended up thinking about it, and I thought: well, these products are long past their sale dates, so are we really taking any monies from anyone by just zipping the games back and forth so he and his son could play? I figured that any sales of the games now are all made at re-sellers and online sites like Amazon and eBay (which are also just re-sellers), so none of the monies transacted for the games actually goes to EA anymore. In other words, I just figured that the time for the owners to make money on the games has long since passed.

What else could/should I have done? Said: "Sorry, Joe. No can do. Software piracy and all that. Best of luck to you, though"?

A lot of this does lie in the technicalities of the law. There are options to purchase used copies on CD off of ebay and such and that certainly is an avenue your friend could use. The notion that EA isn't currently making money off the series is kind of beside the point... one that isn't entirely accurate I might add, as we see WC1 and 4 both currently available in the EA Replay package and on the Playstation Network. Granted they are both ports, but the rights and trademarks all still like with EA. This doesn't change with how available any given game is.

What you do is really up to you. EA often enforces their rights and makes the various pirate sites take the games down. That said, copyright law sometimes makes it quite legal for you to let your friend "borrow" your games as long as they're not installed on your own system at the time.

Bottom line is that we cannot endorse nor condone any kind of Piracy here at the CIC. We would be jeapordizing a lot of the great features we do have at the site.

Bottom line is that we cannot endorse nor condone any kind of Piracy here at the CIC.

Totally understandable.

I did not know that WC1 was available on the Playstation Network, but he doesn't have a PS3, so I guess that's that. He looked at Amazon, but I think he said something along the lines of 30$ for a 20 year old game was ridiculous, which is about double what we think it cost us back in the day when we pooled our allowances and bought it used at a software store. I won it fair and square from him in a TrainSim high score match, but that's beside the point. :D

Thanks for your reply!

Totally understandable.

I did not know that WC1 was available on the Playstation Network, but he doesn't have a PS3, so I guess that's that. He looked at Amazon, but I think he said something along the lines of 30$ for a 20 year old game was ridiculous, which is about double what we think it cost us back in the day when we pooled our allowances and bought it used at a software store. I won it fair and square from him in a TrainSim high score match, but that's beside the point. :D

Thanks for your reply!

I should clarify my original statement: WC1 is the SNES port and is for the PSP. It's part of the EA Replay package. Some places (like Europe) have it on the PSN but I'm not sure everywhere does. But you can buy the UMD version at least. WC4 is the PS1 port and should be playable on both the PSP and PS3. Not sure if it's available everywhere or just the North American store.

That said, ebay costs vary greatly for the WC games. Kilrathi Saga will always be overpriced. WC1 on CD is often hard to come by at a reasonable price and sells probably in the 20 to 30 dollar range. You can almost always find the WC2 deluxe cd for pennies though... privateer as well.

A lot of this does lie in the technicalities of the law. There are options to purchase used copies on CD off of ebay and such and that certainly is an avenue your friend could use.

What you do is really up to you. EA often enforces their rights and makes the various pirate sites take the games down. That said, copyright law sometimes makes it quite legal for you to let your friend "borrow" your games as long as they're not installed on your own system at the time.

Bottom line is that we cannot endorse nor condone any kind of Piracy here at the CIC. We would be jeapordizing a lot of the great features we do have at the site.

Aside from torrents (piracy :mad: ) and borrowing, another way of getting a hold of the various games are a direct download through websites advertising them as abandonware. While I believe your answer will be the same as what I'm thinking, would you be able to provide a definition of how that applies to this series and if it is "legal" AD?

Piracy is piracy.

Let's just put it this way, I have bought games that I do not own the system to play them on. WC1 SNES is a good example.

I have that game running through an emulator, I had it before i bought it when I found it at a second-hand store. I bought that because I know i would be supporting wing commander, in some way, while I do not have an SNES to plug it into. I could sell it, and still have the old ROM file to run it from, or I could just pass along the ROM to anyone else, it's not thesame.

In my teens i probably have spent thousands of Dutch Guilders on Wing commander editions, and joysticks, I learned the trade of configuring and optimizing my machine from trying to optimize wing commander, and I get paid for that now so in a way it has paid back itself. Also my first copy of Wing commander ever, was pirated, and I bet I am not the only one here. I have bought the original PC game 9 times over, i got a pirated copy of wing commander II from my economics teacher, and I do own a lot of legitimate copies of that game too.

Give a copy to your friend, but if he really, really likes it, he should by it.

Aside from torrents (piracy :mad: ) and borrowing, another way of getting a hold of the various games are a direct download through websites advertising them as abandonware. While I believe your answer will be the same as what I'm thinking, would you be able to provide a definition of how that applies to this series and if it is "legal" AD?

There is no Wing Commander "abandonware." Actual abandonware games are very rare, and the vast majority of games available for download at abandonware sites are still copyright protected and often (as is the case with Wing Commander) still sold in one form or another.

There are a couple cases in which Wing Commander games are available as "freeware." The addons to WC1/2 if you own Kilrathi Saga, the expansion to WC Armada and the Secret Ops missions have been made free to distribute. SO's status was just changed in the last couple years.

We can argue about the definitions of software piracy all week, but at the end, Electronic Arts still owns and actively values the Wing Commander games. All the various rereleases (particularly WC1/4 recently) depend on the games not being widely distributed for free, and the success of these rereleases is one of several important factors that can contribute towards the future of the series.

Back