Does Origin even exist anymore

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
They seem to have disappeared after Ultima Online was released. I know they changed their name and read some small bits about UO 2, but was that even released? What happened to this company?

they exist. they just concentrate on the product that i will not dishonor myself by mentioning.

Origin concentrates on Ultima since Ultima sells well. No dishonor in mentioning a well-selling, almost historic game.

It replaced WC and I don't like it. Of course there is dishonor in mentioning that most hated of names!!!! :D

what happenned to origin is a long series of bad mistakes which began long ago, some woulc/could argue the mistakes began in wing commander 3.....

Origin exists somewhat more independant from the EA Games division than most developers, actually... they just don't really have much in the way of manpower right now...

Originally posted by Aries
It replaced WC and I don't like it. Of course there is dishonor in mentioning that most hated of names!!!! :D

Don't be stupid. EA never said they'd never make another WC game or that they'd perfer to make Ultima. It's just that Space Shooters haven't sold well in a long while. Why make a game that will break their bank?

If they made a WC game sans-FMVs (sacreligious) they could belt one out relatively inexpensively. They're like the Clear Channel of gaming, so why would making one damn game that wouldn't probably do so badly break their bank?

Why would they make a game that would make them less profits than the games they're making...

ultima hardly replaced wc, ultima was i believe the 1st origin game, furthermore wc nearly killed ultima around wc3 time. im sure that at that time ultima fans hated wc just as much

Six of one, half a dozen of another. I never blamed Doom for 'killing' Wolfenstein; nor Ultima to killing Wing Commander.

Originally posted by LeHah
Six of one, half a dozen of another. I never blamed Doom for 'killing' Wolfenstein; nor Ultima to killing Wing Commander.

Doom didn't kill Wolfenstein, it just put into a coma.:D

Aries - Origin started as the publishing company of Ultima (with #3, iirc). Ergo, Ultima never replaced Wing Commander. It merely shared the spotlight for a while.
Ultima is also one of the most respected names in Computer Role-Playing History, and one of the founders of Origin is probably better known by his alter-ego, Lord British (the name of a ruler in the Ultima games), than he is by his real name, Richard Garriot. The Ultima games were known for a variety of reasons, including excellent plots (ignore the last two games...), and being probably the first CRPG to actual reward the player for making morally based decisions.
Origin was the home of primarily two different franchises - Ultima and Wing Commander - although System Shock was an Origin game that had a sequel released under the EA name, and Crusader was popular enough that it might have become a franchise had EA gone ahead and created Crusader 2.

So, since we're blaming certain franchises for the death of others.... what killed Duke Nukem? Duke Nukem 3D was the best first person shooter I've ever played or probably will play (I have yet to play Metroid Prime, however).

At last, Mav and myself agree on something. Duke3D remains the finest shooter I've ever had the pleasure of playing. UT comes next.

duke nukem is still here, you don't hear alot bout it. they just released a new game, Duke Nukem Manhatten or something like that

Back