Does anyone have a joystick they KNOW will work in DOS?

Dreadnought

Spaceman
Does anyone have a joystick they KNOW will work in DOS? Please be absolutley certain that it will work in full blown DOS. Not Dos-box, not a DOS emulator, just plain old DOS that you have to reboot into. I want to get a joystick that I can play Privateer (my favorite game of all time) and WC2 to work with. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

I´ve never heard of a joystick that wouldn’t. I´ve played Privateer with 3 different kinds – no problems. At present I´m using my sons´ “Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS”. Very nice, but also not cheap. If you already have a joystick, DON´T rush out and buy another. I´m no expert, but it sounds more likely that your problem is with your gameport. There are wizards out there that are more than willing to help, but they do need a little assistance. Make life easy for them:- Post your OS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, make and model of your sound card. Does the game run? Is there music, speech and sound effects? Can you play the game using the arrow keys? Does the mouse work in the game? Dare I ask …Have you had a look at the “options” screen?
Try reading a few of the other threads and you will see these questions repeated ad nauseum. The wizards spend a lot of time and effort helping novices ( like me ), so catch a few frogs, close the shutters and light the candle. They´ll appreciate it.

The game runs fine and everything, the joystick just doesn't work in DOS. I went to the Logitech website, and they had a list of joysticks that didn't work in full blown DOS, and mine was on it (Wingman Extreme digital 3D)

I have the same joy, and your right, it dosn't work in dos. It dosn't work in ANYTHING unless the game supports it, or you are runing the Logitech wingman Profiler (Which requires windows).

Yep, I have the Extreme Digital 3d too. It doesn't work in DOS either. I checked out that same page on Logitech's site and was planning on getting a WingMan Attack, but was wondering... Does that have a gameport adaptor or USB? B/c dos doesn't like USB.....

Digital sticks don't work in DOS. Any analogue joystick that plugs into a standard game port will work in DOS

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder stick...works in both DOS and Windows. It is an analog joystick. It is also one of the earlier sidewinders, so don't buy a newer one unless it states ANALOG on the outside of the box.

I've never had a problem with it. It's only a 2 button stick, but hey, that's all you need for Privateer:p

Back