Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans 'Star Wars VII' for 2015

Yes, many Star Wars fans fear that this sequel trilogy will destroy the Expanded Universe.

Makes you wonder why all the EU stuff in the last couple of years has been between the films and not after ROTJ, huh? ;)

No, seriously, EU largely sucks incredibly hard. You and I could pick out a couple of things we like but beyond that, most of it is gutter trash. Its a shining example of Sturgeon's Law.

I personally enjoy most of the EU but have no problems with the new movies throwing it out to start clean, or just taking pieces from it like the prequels did and ignoring others. The books and comics will still exist and you'll still be able to enjoy them so they won't really be destroyed.

Kashyyyk comes from the Holiday Special and so from Lucas directly. Grievous first appeared in the Tartakovsky Clone Wars show but was created for Episode III - his storyline in the show was a deliberate prequel setting up for the already-made movie.

You are wrong, LOAF. There never was a Star Wars Holiday Special.
It doesn't exist, it never existed. IT NEVER EXISTED!!! *sigh*
...brb, I have to take my medicine.

You are wrong, LOAF. There never was a Star Wars Holiday Special.
It doesn't exist, it never existed. IT NEVER EXISTED!!! *sigh*
...brb, I have to take my medicine.
Sadly it does exist, and Carrie Fisher uses a copy to get rid of people at the end of parties apparently

Noooooooo!
No really, that thing is so bad everyone is better off denying its very existence. :(

Lies! There was no Star Wars Holiday Special. It is all a conspiracy theory. Some years ago they even tricked me into wasting hours of my life watching that thing, which is obviously a fake since THERE IS NO STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!!

No they didn't. Hell Coruscant was a name pulled directly from the EU.

Nope. Zahn didn't name Coruscant, he was simply the first person to use the name.

The way it works is that he had to call Lucasfilm or its continuity department and ask what the name of the planet is. It comes from the company, the writer creates NOTHING of lasting value in the canon - this is why at the end of all Star Wars novels, everything is "reset" - Thrawn dies, the Empire is exactly where it was before the book started, etc. This is also why Chewbacca dying in the EU novels was such a big deal: a novel was permanently killing off a long-lasting character (in a very stupid way).

(Its even an internal thing: early interviews about the making of Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight shows that the programmers had to call the licensing department to check on things like lightsabers working underwater, etc to properly manage the game play within existing rules.)

Everything else comes from the licensing, which explains why Zahn was a little peeved at Lucas after Episode I came out when he named the head of the Republic "Chancellor" .

Back