Disaster Strikes

vinco

Spaceman
I just cracked my WC4 DVD :eek: Does anyone think there's even the slightest possibility of repairing it? I'm not sure if the crack has affected the data layer, and I'd like to try fixing it.

Sigh.... I'm such an idiot.

You just need to try it. If it doesn't look like it'll break apart in the drive, put it in and immediately copy off anything you can. If there's an actual crack, there's no way to repair that.

Well... I've bitten the bullet and bought another copy off of ebay... This one's getting ripped the day I get it.

You ca probably burn each of the sides to a different DVD-R, be thankfull it's not dual-layer. :)

Were it dual-layer, I'd just have to get media. I've got a drive that can handle the burning.

Is there any type of copy protection on the disc that will make it tough to do a 1:1 functional copy?

No, the disc is not copy-protected.

(Offhand, I don't recall copyright protection being a part of any WC except for the WC1 questions, and those didn't stop the disks from being copied, just prevented the game from running once installed.)

Great!

I have to admit, I'm a little bummed at shelling out $40 for the replacement, as I was one of the lucky ones to grab the discs at $10.

However, After this little... incident, I think I'll be a bit more careful with the original, and keep a backup around for actual use.

I have to admit, I'm a little bummed at shelling out $40 for the replacement, as I was one of the lucky ones to grab the discs at $10.

If it makes you feel any better, it cost $500 to get one when they first came out!

Back