Dificult Settings

Ghost

Emperor
i want ,if someone of you knows, what are exactly the diferences between each dificult setting (IA,Armor, Gun damage, missile damage,etc.)in WC3,4 and WCP.

Thanks

According to the WCP guide the differences are:
Damage threshold: On "rookie" your ship can take four times as much damage as one of your wingmen. That extra toughness decreases with each higher difficulty level. Even on "nightmare" though, you can sustain more damage than your wingmen.
Gun damage: On "rookie" you do twice normal damage. (Only on rookie)
Max. number of enemies targeting you: Varies between one (rookie) and three (nightmare)
Use of missiles: The higher the level the more likely you get missiles shot at you.
Enemy's maneuvrability: On rookie, the enemy only maneuvers with 80% of its real maneuvrability and at 100% on nightmare.
Enemy's fire accuracy: the enemy hit 50% more often on nightmare than on rookie
Missile decoys: The higher the difficulty level the more likely the enemy uses missile decoys.
I think roughly the same applies to the other WC games.
Additionally in WC3, the armour of the Kilrathi ships regeneratedon the highest skill level.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 05-13-2001 at 13:28]

You're welcome. :)

And RFB, yes I think all ships regenerate their armour. Of course if you take them out fast enough, that's not going to save them ;).

You can expect the regeneraton of shields, but Armor ???? how???....
Maybe they use nanosondes to maintain the level of steel or whatever the material is, or by leacking the pulsar anti-matter. :D

I don't think there's a scientific explanation. It's just to make the game harder. After all, you can't change the skill level in real life. ;)

Well thats not fair!! Not that it mattered any! They never had time to wave a white flag with my guns going up their tailpipes, much less regenerate their armor. I guess I didnt allow them time enough to notice their armour regenerating. :)

RFB

I've always thought they should separate the difficulty options so you can have smart enemies without silly options like regenerating armour.

Well... programming A.I. is not an easy task...

Yet, if you look at the wonders the Half-Life A.I. can do to you (especially the Marines), you're left with doubts regarding the WC A.I. :rolleyes:

i tried rookie level a couple of times, damn those guys are morons. the game is not fun unless its set on the highest.

Well, call me a wimp or say that I suck, but I didn't manage to pass the reconnaissance mission on the first planet, in WC IV, the one prior to freeing the biochemist, with a difficulty level higher than Veteran... :(

Oddly though, as many people have told me, the level below Nightmare, is actually easier than the Ace level... :confused:

Originally posted by mpanty

Oddly though, as many people have told me, the level below Nightmare, is actually easier than the Ace level... :confused:

I have noticed that the enemy pilots suck on that level. But there are about three times as many, and your guns are reduced to flower power intensity.

Originally posted by mpanty
Well, call me a wimp or say that I suck, but I didn't manage to pass the reconnaissance mission on the first planet, in WC IV, the one prior to freeing the biochemist, with a difficulty level higher than Veteran... :(

You're a wimp! Just kidding...
The only thing I heard (and experienced) is that "hero" (the one above "Ace") is easier than "Ace" because they do not afterburn all the time (which is very annoying).

Hey on the topic of AI maybe the difficulty setings options used in system shock should comeback that way we can elimminate annoying trates eg afterburning all the time as well as ship numbers and such. In general its about time specific difficulty setings got back then fps for example can change between shoot everything that moves eg quake to something like system shock 2 or deus ex rpg in an fps world.
On AI for wing commander maybe the next title which will I said will be made will have an algorythm (sp?) that allows them to learn but if the game was restarted the AI should stay at the same level but not loss all it learned.

I believe that's always a very difficult thing to do. Isn't AI really just a randomiser to choose a certain 'move' in a certain situation?

Learning? Yeah, I think learning is more complex than most other AI thingies. Or at least, true learning, of the neural-network type would be very difficult. Ah, but I seem to be talking about something far beyond my realm of knowledge, so I'll just shut up now ;).

Back