Differences in Wing Commander 3 versions

Loozer

Rear Admiral
I grew up playing the wc3 version on the 3do. I like it alot better than the pc version. I no longer have a 3do, and I am considering getting the ps1 version. Any noticeable differences minor or major from the ps1 and 3do version? I do remember having really good smooth graphics in the 3do version.

The PS3 and PSX versions share the same extra videos that were lacking in the PC version, and also does not include any ground missions. Unlike the 3DO version however, they never redid any of the gameplay for the PSX version and it is pretty much a carbon copy of most of the PC missions,. The Playstation edition of WC3 didn't try and simplify the controls either so you have to remember lots of combos to be effective. It does support the crazy playstation flightstick but not the analog sticks so you're stuck using the D-pad if you are using a controller.

The PS3 and PSX versions share the same extra videos that were lacking in the PC version, and also does not include any ground missions. Unlike the 3DO version however, they never redid any of the gameplay for the PSX version and it is pretty much a carbon copy of most of the PC missions,. The Playstation edition of WC3 didn't try and simplify the controls either so you have to remember lots of combos to be effective. It does support the crazy playstation flightstick but not the analog sticks so you're stuck using the D-pad if you are using a controller.
Thanks for the reply. Your point on the controls seems a real downer. One last question, are the graphics in the cockpit and cinematic scenes identical to the 3do version?

The cinematics are the same. There might be slight differences since they use different hardware to process the video but the quality should be similar. It might be slightly better on the 3DO but video in both versions looks a bit better than the PC version.. The cockpit graphics should also be more or less the same. Things will be relatively smooth, but just more in line with the PC version gameplaywise. It's possible newer playstations might let you play with the analog sticks but that's not something I can test for you, sorry.

Any noticeable differences minor or major from the ps1 and 3do version?

There is one major difference for the Playstation version - it won't run on a Playstation 2 or 3. You need an original PS1 to play it.

There is one major difference for the Playstation version - it won't run on a Playstation 2 or 3. You need an original PS1 to play it.
Well 3d0 version won't work on Ps2/3 either so that's hardly a difference :p

But all kidding aside, that's news to me.
PS2 had excellent backwards compatibility and I haven't met a PS1 game that didn't work in it. I do know for a fact the PS1 version of WC4 worked just fine.

[Edit]

Apparently, the list is very small, considering the hundreds of games made for PS1, and WC3 isn't on it so far.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

Last edited:
Well 3d0 version won't work on Ps2/3 either so that's hardly a difference :p

But all kidding aside, that's news to me.
Given the context, I would guess that LeHah meant to write "an original 3DO" - in other words, the PS1 version has the advantage over the 3DO version of actually working on equipment manufactured in this millenium.

I have an original ps one. But was so attached to the 3do version. I'm sold on getting the ps one version though. I dont want to shell out a over a hundred bucks for the 3do system, although I think it's an awesome console. Thanks for everyone's input. Greatly appreciated.

PS2 had excellent backwards compatibility and I haven't met a PS1 game that didn't work in it.

The PSX version of WC3 had a video compression codec that can't be emulated on the PS2 for reasons beyond my understanding. Its been confirmed several times over; I've even tried it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back