Did you use DOS?

• Yes

Votes: 46 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comedy 'What's DOS' option.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's what we need. Another batch of DOS programs that allow us to do the things we love to do that normal DOS programs usually wouldn't do.

Skewed results because of:
-- Ambigious thread header
-- Distribution of classic DOS users among WC fans
-- Not all WC fans are CIC CZ regulars, and
-- Not all CIC regulars drop by the Off-topic zone

Try spreading the poll amongst current teenagers, and they'll give questioning looks.

I don't remember the exact specs of the first computer I encountered. I only remember it had a tape-deck, a funny Amiga-looking joystick, and could play Buck Rogers 'Planet of The Zoom' game.
When I was seven (and back to my home country) I began to meet the IBM PC clones. I played with my uncle's computer... then it was a 640kilobyte RAM and most floppy disk games were bootable.
The FIRST computer I was given ownership was another uncle's ex: a 320KB RAM with one 5.25" floppy drives, and with monochrome graffics and the like.

Most of the time I used the computer for playing games, but when the games won't work I started to learn troubleshooting. My dad was the first to teach me batch editing using EDLIN.COM (or was it .EXE). That got me into DOS.

Overall, here's what I think about DOS:
- Great transparent interface... what you see is what you get - operating system.
- Any viruses or malwares would only come through outside sources, and in those days DOS PCs were less linked to other networks.
- More simpler and less automated than GUIs

Nowadays I used real plain (not 'dos-in-a-window/or full screen command prompt mode') DOS only to troubleshoot basic computer problems, or to rename large files with similar names (Prefer ren ac*.jpg bc*.jpg than clicking each files one-by-one).
Using Windows is unavoidable because the importance of multitasking, but at least Win98 is better than Win95 and can still support more basic functions of DOS.

Crusader... Police Quest 4... Space Quest... Sam & Max an' all those Olde Lucas Arts Classics. DOS! DOS! DOS! Well, I didn't own a computer then... Some friends of mine did, and played those games...

Just thought I'd mention that. Cheers. :)

Back