Did I blink?

How does one listen to the audio files in Prophecy? I know how to extract them using Treman (I think), or is there a better way? Do you have to extract them all, or can you choose what to get and listen to?

You don't mean you listened to ALL of them in one go, do you? Whoa. There isn't a Prophecy TRE viewer better than Treman, is there?

Originally posted by Backslash
How does one listen to the audio files in Prophecy?

You don't mean you listened to ALL of them in one go, do you? Whoa.

I used Treman to get everything out of the TRE's and then I used HCl's Audio Prophecy Tool (it's at HCl's WC Editing Site, in the WC Projects 2001) decompress all those XA and IFF files, then just use a Winamp or similar program to listen to the sounds. You can extract individual sounds but there files names are just numbers so you really don't know what you're getting. I can't remember which tre's hold what although I want to say Speech.tre and speech1-3.tre's hold all the inflight comms with 3 holding most plot inflight comms, audio.tre has the sfx and music.tre has the music (duh). I can't remember which TRE has the briefings, though.

And yeah, I listened to ALL the 4000+ sounds (it took me like 3 and 1/2 hours), and yeah I don't have anything better to do with my time :p

Just going back to the Radar and Clock question. If Confed made a system that can detect and maybe lock on to cloaked ships, then surly, they would of found a way to enhance their cloaks so that they can't be picked up? Or something like that.

But any way, I think that it would of been cool to have that cloaking bit in the first mission. It would also make slightly more sence, if Confed could use cloaking devices. There would be some proceure that says something like:

"When entering an unknown situation or area, pilots must cloak their ships inorder to stay hidden from any unknown or hidden forces."

Thats if Confed had the use of cloaking devices which they do, and are used quite a bit in Arrows in WC4. So we know they do. So if they had cloaking devices, they would surly use them. Do you see what I'm saying?

Originally posted by Excalibur
Just going back to the Radar and Clock question. If Confed made a system that can detect and maybe lock on to cloaked ships, then surly, they would of found a way to enhance their cloaks so that they can't be picked up? Or something like that.

That's rather faulty reasoning... just because you can detect something doesn't mean you can figure out how to counter it.

But any way, I think that it would of been cool to have that cloaking bit in the first mission. It would also make slightly more sence, if Confed could use cloaking devices. There would be some proceure that says something like:

"When entering an unknown situation or area, pilots must cloak their ships inorder to stay hidden from any unknown or hidden forces."

Thats if Confed had the use of cloaking devices which they do, and are used quite a bit in Arrows in WC4. So we know they do. So if they had cloaking devices, they would surly use them. Do you see what I'm saying?

We know Confed *is* still using cloak... Major Washington's squadron (recon squad that first investigated the bug incursion in WCP) had Excalibur's fitted with cloaking devices. 6 of these ships were detected and destroyed before Major Washington successfuly returned with recon data.

TC

I know that this sounds a little strange, but if you think about it, it does make sence. You don't make something like a cloaking devices, then make something that can detect it, and never touch ether of them again do you. Technology is always being updated.

We know Confed *is* still using cloak... Major Washington's squadron (recon squad that first investigated the bug incursion in WCP) had Excalibur's fitted with cloaking devices. 6 of these ships were detected and destroyed before Major Washington successfuly returned with recon data.

I know this but this was after the encounter by the Midway's fighter/marine wing/contingent (what ever you want to call it) so if there is a procedure, like the one I suggested:

Then the wing from the Midway, should of had cloaks and used them because, it was a unknown situation. No one knew what had happened to the Kilrathi so they should of gone in cloaked. Thats what I meant by it.

Well, we don't know maybe Confed is working on a new cloaking device but they just didn't have any breakthrough at the time of WCP.

I think Excalibur's point about advancements in cloaking/detection is valid. Although cloaking technolgy advances might not be as rapid, a similar example is with torpedoes and capship shields. It seems that some generations of capships can be killed with standard guns and missiles, while others can only be taken down with torpedos, maces or heavy plasma cannons.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Well, we don't know maybe Confed is working on a new cloaking device but they just didn't have any breakthrough at the time of WCP.

That sounds pretty reasonable being that there were no immediate (big) threats to Confed. Usually during peace time there are military cutbacks, and skunk works generally being expensive would probably have been hit hard.

It was hard enough for Paladin to push funding for the new capships to replace the Kilrathi War-era capships, IIRC.

Originally posted by Soma
I used Treman to get everything out of the TRE's and then I used HCl's Audio Prophecy Tool (it's at HCl's WC Editing Site, in the WC Projects 2001) decompress all those XA and IFF files, then just use a Winamp or similar program to listen to the sounds.
So you can decompress multiple files? When I had a peek, I only remember doing it one by one. Yuck.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
Yes... many... many decoys... so... many decoys...

I'm gonna go uh... huddle in the corner in the fetal position for a while...

so... many.... missiles... decoys... aaaaAAAHhhhh....

This sounds like someone who's seen 'the shit'.

Originally posted by Wedge009
It was hard enough for Paladin to push funding for the new capships to replace the Kilrathi War-era capships, IIRC.

yeah, that was part of the point of the Midway too save money (it's ironic you need to spend to save)

So you can decompress multiple files? When I had a peek, I only remember doing it one by one. Yuck.

I used Treman 1.0 and option number 2 is to extract all files from the TRE...

There is nothing ironic about spending to save. Anyone who is in business understands the concept of capital investment, spending now to reap the benefits years later. Investing in the Midways is a far better prospect than sinking money into maintaining a wartime fleet that's falling apart and will need to be replaced soon anyway.

Best, Raptor

Just so you know, the "megacarrier" name is only for the public's sake. The Midway is still classed a fleet carrier.

Originally posted by Soma
I used Treman 1.0 and option number 2 is to extract all files from the TRE...
No, I know how to extract them all at once, but I didn't know you could decompress them all at once.

There isn't a "mega-carrier" class, it's just called that for a sense of power, like the Vesuvius which was called a "super-carrier".

Back