Death of a Crab

"I didn't mind when robots were sucking people into pipes, but crabs are a whole different story."

-The Book of LOAF

A friend of mine said that one of his other friends used to be in the army, and that he said that something similar happens to tank soldier when a tank gets hit by an armor piercing shell. The shell goes through the tank, and the concussion creates a pressure differential in the tank chamber and the poor soldiers end up getting sucked out the tank through a 8 inch hole.

That's gotta Hurt

They gotta get through that Chobham armor first! The Abrams, I swear to God, is a tank's tank. There are multiple accounts of incidents where a T-72 hit an Abrams TWICE, and even though the guys were all shook up inside, they turned that turret around...KBOOM. Only 4 Abrams tanks were disabled in the Gulf, none were actually destroyed. I got this info from CNN's War in the Gulf book. I could hardly believe it when I read it.:cool:

pretty cool.

Did you guys here about the new combat armor they're coming out with. first they plan to try to mass produce spider silk for the BDUs (a process that i know the base of, but wont tell for your sake....its disgusting) which will make it able to take bullets and the uniform will be "able to withstand 600,000 pounds of pressure per square inch.". then they plan to use nanotechnology and ceramic armor technology to make it a "power suite". For any of you who have played HALO, the armor resembles it (RESEMBLES not IDENTICAL). they will also be able to carry and i quote from (same place i got the last quote from) "Military Officer" magazine "he will be able to cary 200 to 300 pounds, which will feel like 5 to 10 pounds, and he'll be able to go as fast as 8 kilometers an hour." there will also be a helmet that houses Infrared and NVG systems, and there will be a system that can monitor vital systems... you know.... incase Iraq uses some of those WMDs they dont have. 8 km comes out to be more than 10 miles rigth? well thats pretty damn fast for a person period... little allown for a man carrying combat gear.

A kilometer is a shorter distance than a mile. Eight kilometres is equal to five miles, not ten.

Best, Raptor

Still though, 300 lbs at 5 mph, not bad; that's outstanding for a long march. Although, what about close-quarters combat? Surely they'll trim the load down in those circumstances.

Any links to that info Maniac? It sounds more like an April fools joke. I do believe no one can synthesize spider silk yet (at least not in perfectly and no where near the quantities needed for such a project) and nano techonology isn't about little tiny robots that can augment a persons strength. It isn't even about tiny robots.

And NO, you cannot farm and milk spiders due to their teriitorial nature. It's been done.

Aren't you contradicting yourself with that last sentence? If it's been done, that means it's possible to farm and milk spiders.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by steampunk
Any links to that info Maniac? It sounds more like an April fools joke. I do believe no one can synthesize spider silk yet (at least not in perfectly and no where near the quantities needed for such a project) and nano techonology isn't about little tiny robots that can augment a persons strength. It isn't even about tiny robots.

And NO, you cannot farm and milk spiders due to their teriitorial nature. It's been done.

..... Well gee let me think... why did i put parts of it in quotations and say it was from the magazine "Military Officer"... to avoid being busted for plagerism....No i cant give you an internet link... but go to a military barber shop... or a Military clinic.... and look for a magazine named---"Military Officer".

Oh and for the production of the spider silk... i didnt tell incase any of you look at this during your lunch break... but since you damand to know... the basis of the plan is to genetically egineer the protiens in a goat's milk to have the same qualities of the spiders silk... any of you who throw up can thank steam punk for being persistant

Originally posted by Raptor
Aren't you contradicting yourself with that last sentence? If it's been done, that means it's possible to farm and milk spiders.

Best, Raptor
I meant they tried it and failed.

Yes, I know about he goats milk thing. The technology was developed by a Canadian company who first spliced spider genes with mammalian cells (I can't recall from what) in the hopes that it would start producing the protiens that make up spider silk. Similar proteins were produced but were significantly inferior to the real mccoy. Not letting that deter them, they planned to splice the genes into goats so that the proteins would be produced in goats milk from which they could then harvest the protein and spin it into fibres.

Goats milk spider silk is however a very long way from spider-silk-nano-technology combat armor that enhances your strength.

Considering that people on this board think crushing a crab by sucking it into a pipe smaller than itself is funny, I doubt that they'd consider goats milk laced with spider proteins to be disgusting.

Considering that people on this board think crushing a crab by sucking it into a pipe smaller than itself is funny, I doubt that they'd consider goats milk laced with spider proteins to be disgusting.

As The Book will prove, I thought the crab dying was very, very sad.

Back