Dating the Uniforms

Mufossa said:
Hoboy... A case of Star Trek-style story contradiction.

There's no situation where posting something silly like this makes a thread better.

Gee... Is it bad to express opinions all of a sudden? Or is it the fact that I'm just a "cadet" on this board and therefore need a nice virtual hazing?

Mufossa said:
Gee... Is it bad to express opinions all of a sudden? Or is it the fact that I'm just a "cadet" on this board and therefore need a nice virtual hazing?

Sorta like how Star Wars has a 'Star Trek' like contradiction with how Obi Wan discovered Anakin during the Clone Wars as a brilliant pilot, but then Episode I shows him being a sidekick to the guy who discovered Anakin about 10 years before the Clone Wars ever began?

Remember that Blair, at the time of the trial for negligence during the Tiger's Claw incident was a Lieutenant Colonel (07), as of the end of SM2. He was, according to the Official Guide to Wing Commander 1&2, supposed to take over the Claw's squadrons when Halcyon was promoted to the Tactical staff. This would have made him a Commander in the Navy ranks (07)... which is a sideways slip that seems to happen quite easily in the WC games and novels, at least between branches like the Navy and Space Forces.

We've seen this in how Bondarevsky got the rank of Lieutenant Commander (O6), a Navy rank which put him in the chain of command for the Tarawa, and he accepted promotion to Captain after the Kilrah raid, and a permanent assignment to the Navy. At the start of Prophecy, we also see Blair's transferred to the Navy, which meant his Brigadier General rank (O9) was retained as a Commodore (O9).

Hmmm... I guess that's what happens when your chance of making sequels is dependent upon player or audience response: You suddenly find yourself given the opportunity to develop a new story, but in order for it to work, you have to contradict some of what you said earlier.

(a la Zephram Cochrane being from Alpha Centauri... until ST: First Contact, or Miles O'Brien being a lieutenant until Barclay has to give him an order... then he gets conveniently demoted to Chief Petty Officer.)

Actually, this is further off the topic, sorry, but... wasn't there a sort of implication in WC1 (in the Secret Missions... #2 if memory serves) that Halcyon actually commanded the Claw? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I had that feeling.

I'm ready to be told I'm completely wrong on this one and wouldn't be surprised. It's been a while since I've flown off the 'Claw. :)

Back on the uniform topic...

In WCP, didn't the Space Force duty uniforms have red undershirts? (Hence the CIC jumpsuits having that look)

Thought that would be worth mentioning as, only in WC1 and WCP do you see undershirts. (Though, with the graphics being what they were, I sometimes thought the WC1 undershirts looked more like ascots or scarves.)

All the games have undershirts - tan in WC1, white in WC2, gray in WC3, dark blue in WC4 and red in WCP.

Halcyon commanded the 'Claw only during SM1, and there's a back story to explain why. SM2 (and Freedom Flight) talk about the 'Claw's proper captain (Captain Thorn).

Yeah, I remember Freedom Flight... thought it was a great book! I played all the way through SM1 but only got part way through SM2. I guess that's where my confusion came from.

Thanks for jogging the ol' memory.

Would anyone have any screenshots (preferably detailed) of the naval uniforms from WC4, Prophecy, and/or Privateer? I am trying to catalogue some of the details, but my memory on the specific look is a little hazy. Thanks.

Mufossa said:
Hmmm... I guess that's what happens when your chance of making sequels is dependent upon player or audience response: You suddenly find yourself given the opportunity to develop a new story, but in order for it to work, you have to contradict some of what you said earlier.

(a la Zephram Cochrane being from Alpha Centauri... until ST: First Contact, or Miles O'Brien being a lieutenant until Barclay has to give him an order... then he gets conveniently demoted to Chief Petty Officer.)

Actually, this is further off the topic, sorry, but... wasn't there a sort of implication in WC1 (in the Secret Missions... #2 if memory serves) that Halcyon actually commanded the Claw? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I had that feeling.

I'm ready to be told I'm completely wrong on this one and wouldn't be surprised. It's been a while since I've flown off the 'Claw. :)

Not to mention Miles talking about the officers as if he didn't know what it was like to be one in Deep Space Nine. I'm positive I remember him saying something about the academy and not all of them have to go through it.

Back