Dating system.

Its been bugging me for a while, but how does the dating system within the Wing Commander universe works?

Sorry if this sounds quite stupid.

Year.day

January 1st 2612 would be 2612.001, January 2nd would be 2612.002, etc.

This system is very useful to standardize dates around thousands of planets, but it's kinda not very practical to know when exactly something will happen, because 365 possible dates is too large to have a reference, subdividing those days in around 30 day units makes it easier.

Of course, when everyone is used to maybe it gets easier.

Thank goodness you guys answered first. I thought the question related to dinner and a movie dates instead of calendar dates. My bad.

Edfilho said:
This system is very useful to standardize dates around thousands of planets, but it's kinda not very practical to know when exactly something will happen, because 365 possible dates is too large to have a reference, subdividing those days in around 30 day units makes it easier.

Of course, when everyone is used to maybe it gets easier.

What do you mean? Knowing exactly what day something's happening's useful. Knowing that you have to be at a place by 2768.220 is very precise and concise, unlike 'August 9'. Heck, when you've got computers everywhere, conversion's less of an issue anyways...

Besides, if you grew up with the system, as everyone we've seen to date seems to have, it's not exactly 'hard to remember' - everyone IS used to it by then.

Well, for instance, if you tell me that something will happen around august, it is a lot more helpfull than just saying between 200 and 230... It is like that be@t system swatch invented for hours. What the heck is 389 be@ts? easier to know that it's 15:06 here and probably 18:06 in GMT - that's 3:06pm and 6:06 pm, for the 24hr system impaired.

Anyways, i kinda agree with you, that's why I said "Of course, when everyone is used to maybe it gets easier."

Edfilho said:
Well, for instance, if you tell me that something will happen around august, it is a lot more helpfull than just saying between 200 and 230... It is like that be@t system swatch invented for hours. What the heck is 389 be@ts? easier to know that it's 15:06 here and probably 18:06 in GMT - that's 3:06pm and 6:06 pm, for the 24hr system impaired.

Anyways, i kinda agree with you, that's why I said "Of course, when everyone is used to maybe it gets easier."

Since when? 'Around August' is pretty imprecise anyways. Just saying that something should happen by .230 is probably enough information in an imprecise statement like that, especially if I know roughly how long something like that will take, and the current date. Saying by which day something should happen is still more precise than 'around August'.

Look at it as similar to writing the date as 08.24.2004. I don't think this is any more or less accurate than saying August 24th. However I don't always remember that 08 is August, I have to count on my fingers from January until I get to August. This system may seem difficult because its different.

WC does have a way of referring to months, though: 4/2654 would be April, 2654.

Also worth noting that the WC date system goes a bit further, and can include hours, minutes and seconds. 2654.001.1300.45 would be January 1st, 2654, 1:00 PM (and 45 seconds).

Bandit LOAF said:
WC does have a way of referring to months, though: 4/2654 would be April, 2654.

Also worth noting that the WC date system goes a bit further, and can include hours, minutes and seconds. 2654.001.1300.45 would be January 1st, 2654, 1:00 PM (and 45 seconds).

whoa...boggles the mind...too many numbers...

Back